Suggestions for CoffeeCup Visual Site...

User 104702 Photo

293 posts

Tim Banish Sr wrote:
Hi Vito (and others) You can add a Powerpoint presentation! In fact, you can add any document or whatever object you'd like to link to (a MP3, a photo, a zip file, a Word document, a PDF file, you name it). Make a text object or a button that says for instance "this is my PP presentation" and then make a link from it. When you see the link window, choose 'link to a document'. Choose the object (file) you'd like to show. It will be uploaded automatically by VSD in a folder called 'downloads' (under the 'files' folder). Don't forget to choose 'new window' in the 'target' list, otherwise your visitor has to use the back button of the browser to return to your site.
Jon[/quote]

Jon-
Thanks, this is exactly what I came to the forum for today. I have a couple of PDF files that I want to add to the site and was unsure of the way to do it. Funny as I found this by accident while leaving a comment on new features for VSD. Hopefully it can be placed in a tip file because past searches for it came up empty.
This sounds too easy. Off to try it out.
Tim[/quote]

Yes Tim, it really is that easy... There's one drawback though, your visitors can watch these 'attachments' (it really is like an email attachment) only if the corresponding software has been installed on their PC... For instance, you need Excel or something like it to read an Excel spreadsheet... But as about 90% of the worldwide web visitors do have Adobe reader on their PC, probably all of them have some media player installed for music or video, and 99 % can watch Flash files, I guess this is THE way to publish your 'attachments'...

Cheers, John
John van Hulst
User 503621 Photo

266 posts

Hi,i have been testing it and i would like to add my suggestions here

- Group objects
- Lock objects
- Below the Paste it could have a menu "Paste in place" to paste it on the same position where it was copied from,of course , pasted in a new place
- Pixel "map" or coordenates : to know where exactly an object has been placed and if you want to align it just paste the same X or Y coordenates on the Pixel map so to speak
- Ruler tool
- Snap to grid
- Grid opacity,color choice
- Onion skin
- Mousover with images : make a button out of an image,make it option to change its Hue or Saturation, Brightness to the Mousover (using the same image or importing a new one) and use this a Mousover,different button states.

Most of this are taken from Swishmax which is nice software to make flash animations,it doesn't have
the same power as Flash itself but its capabilities are topnotch !!!

I Think this is a nice improvement list and im sure CoffeeCup programmers nail them !!!

User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

If one could lock layers and objects, it would be fantastic!:D I have a different WYSIWYG program that shows everything in a panel on the side much like Photoshop, so you can see what's where, lock-unlock it, and make the layer visible/invisible. Very useful....but I like VSD better over-all.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 503621 Photo

266 posts

i have new suggestions ...this time for the Text tool :

- Text tool free to choose any size font
- Ability to adjust Kerning,Leading,Indent and Width

Another one for VSD
Color picker,choose a color not only from the palette,ability to choose it from any
object on the screen
User 2108831 Photo

10 posts

This may have been requested before, but a HUGE time saver would be to have all of the properties panels placed together, and dockable to the edge of the screen. I spend a lot of time clicking the toolbar buttons or right clicking to bring up the correct properties page.

Another one - PLEASE add the abilty to put tables on your web pages. I just need a simple way to place a table to hold data (Names Etc). I know it can be done via HTML, but the whole point of VSD is to not have to code in HTML. right?

Great products!
User 372566 Photo

3 posts

I read somewhere in the forums, someone was having text overlap problems when their site was being viewed on smartphones and someone suggested allowing advanced text and fixing it with a zero shadow. I tested this fix, whilst it works it was not as visible as normal text. So I used shape tool to make a box , set the fill colour to match the back ground and entered the text required in to the button text. There are obvious limitations this way, fixed font and size but it works great.

For Christmas this year I would like the coffeecup team to try and contrive this one up for VSD.
1. A new shape synonymous with a smartphone symbol.( With Button Text "Dial")

2. In the links box a section for entering a phone number so we can add telephone numbers to the image and be smartphone/skype friendly`from an image rather than formal text. We could call it "iFriendly" VSD.

Sam
www.laoisbusiness.ie

Try this site out if you have an iPad, as we do not have them here yet and let me know how it looks and works on it. cheers
Roland
User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

well, I did a few searches but didn't get any hits..
Once every couple of years I attempt a website with VSD, trying it again.

warning dialog boxes should have floating width

"The selected picture does not exist"
the path to the file is cut off,,
it needs a lot more width or a re-sizable dialog box

User 503621 Photo

266 posts

i have more suggestions added to the ones i made above :

- Ability to Choose Export to folder or upload
- Standalone VNU workmode, this might apply to several coffeecup programs.

What do i mean with Standalone VNU?
The VNU File its not a real project,it depends from the files on folders,it doesn't absorv this files on its own , for example i will quote Swishmax again, a project file is called SWI and everytime you add a picture or a shape,to the project,it stays in the project no matter if you deleted , renamed or moved from a folder to another,it belongs now to the project file under "content",i know that the downside is that the source file increases since it has to carry this Content but its much better that way
because sometimes files gets renamed or moved and the VNU is totally unusable because it tries to locate files that might not exist anymore.

I found a glitch on the 6.06 version,sometimes pictures are missing,because they are replaced
with pictures that VSD renames and you have to reimport and relocate the picture again several times because the same pictures was "for example" used in several pages of a project.

Thanks !
User 2119406 Photo

1 post

here's a simple request....(even MS Word can do this :| )
In VSD, and I imagine other programs, I am disappointed that I cannot block justify text. My site design concept layout was really dependent on this type of configuration. Great software, but this simple (i think, no programmer here) accomodation to the software would probably make other Type A designers happy as well.
cheers,
Jay
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

I believe the plan is in the next 1-2 weeks to announce a new beta of Visual Site Designer on our Facebook page. This beta will also open up access to the super secret S-Drive service.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.