First Steps, probably a dumb question...

User 2706435 Photo

Ambassador
444 posts

Before I watch anymore new videos, I have a quick question. I am used to using CSS, and it have about 2 dozen ways to do anything, and only 2-3 are the best ways. So, what is needd to start making a grid, easily in the applications. I watched some of CC's videos, but I think the speaker was speaking too fast, and the mouse movements were way to fast, and I did not actually see what he was doing, just the results mostly. Murphy's Law says that as soon I I post, I will find a clear answer myself.

Should a container element first be placed on to the page? (and not a link-container?). RSD usually starts out with a row. Some other framework applications start with nothing. Then, within that container, add other containers/elements, then go to assignments them on the grid layout creator?
User 2706435 Photo

Ambassador
444 posts

OK, I think I got it now.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

BIll G wrote:
I watched some of CC's videos, but I think the speaker was speaking too fast, and the mouse movements were way to fast, and I did not actually see what he was doing, just the results mostly.

I find the exact same thing. I've asked for subtitles or a transcript, but haven't got any.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2517750 Photo

2 posts

I found it easiest to use a split screen. Then you can stop and start the video as you progress through your program on one side, while watching the video on the opposite side.
User 399746 Photo

Sales & Support Manager
416 posts

Inger wrote:
BIll G wrote:
I watched some of CC's videos, but I think the speaker was speaking too fast, and the mouse movements were way to fast, and I did not actually see what he was doing, just the results mostly.

I find the exact same thing. I've asked for subtitles or a transcript, but haven't got any.

You'll be happy to hear that we have started adding the transcript to our videos. Click the CC in the bottom right corner of the video to turn on the closed captioning. https://cssgrid.cc/video-tutorials/

BIll G wrote:
what is needd to start making a grid, easily in the applications.

Containers elements will be your best friend. With Grid you no longer have to mess with merging and dividing columns and adding endless rows. Instead, group multiple page elements together (for example your navigation or footer) into a Container and position the items accordingly within it. CSS Grid positioning controls are optional when it comes to positioning items in the Container. Not every design situation calls for it. Good ’ol Block, In-line block, Flexbox, and Absolute positioning can still get the job done for lots of tasks. When you need to tackle a more complex layouts, or trying to position items in a more sporadic order, is when CSS Grid layout positioning comes in handy.
Learn the essentials with these tips on Site Designer. You'll be making epic, code-free responsive sites like a boss.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Great news, Suzanne! One thing would be nice if it could be changed: The episode 2 of the grid videos can hardly be heard, even though I have my computer (and the video) at full volume. Can that be adjusted?
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 399746 Photo

Sales & Support Manager
416 posts

Inger wrote:
Great news, Suzanne! One thing would be nice if it could be changed: The episode 2 of the grid videos can hardly be heard, even though I have my computer (and the video) at full volume. Can that be adjusted?

I'll talk to Bob about it. :)
Learn the essentials with these tips on Site Designer. You'll be making epic, code-free responsive sites like a boss.
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

With Grid you no longer have to mess with merging and dividing columns and adding endless rows.

That really is the huge advantage of Grid....much easier structure to work with without all the nesting.
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 2706435 Photo

Ambassador
444 posts

It didn't take long, but I got most of the grid stuff all figured out now, at least for a site I am rebuilding, just haven't paid attention tot he more complicated settings in the gird designer. Hoping for more videos from CC about them.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.