BANNER IMAGES CHANGING FOR NO REASON...

User 2699991 Photo

4,805 posts
Online Now

Frank Cook wrote:
Just a thought - perhaps too simple, but then I find it's sometimes the simple things that catch me out.

I'm assuming that the switching of the pictures is done in a single picture element, i.e. by using the Picture edit icon in the Element panel > Selected Element Properties. If such a setup is done while SD is set with Design For Display Grid, then the problem will occur as soon as one changes SD to Design For Fallback First.

Frank

Now there is a thought
but assuming John sees that issue in "fall back first" or vicky versa and then spends his time correcting it(as described in the first post, then one assumes that it should hold, thereafter ) It could just be that simple Frank, I never considered that possibility
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2699991 Photo

4,805 posts
Online Now

There is of course one simple solution, but perhaps one that maybe one that could be considered to contravene old school practices and that is

Just use the one image for all widths.

In today's day and age most mobile devices are quite capable of handling things like that as long as the image isn't massive. My new phone for example has more processing power more ram than my wife's old laptop. It even copes very well with fixed background images. And loads my site (with large background images at all widths) quicker than her laptop, and not that far behind my pc.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2695940 Photo

148 posts

Frank Cook wrote:
Just a thought - perhaps too simple, but then I find it's sometimes the simple things that catch me out.

I'm assuming that the switching of the pictures is done in a single picture element, i.e. by using the Picture edit icon in the Element panel > Selected Element Properties. If such a setup is done while SD is set with Design For Display Grid, then the problem will occur as soon as one changes SD to Design For Fallback First.

Frank

Good idea Frank but I have had it happen to sites without any Grid areas set and just in Design for fallback. I'm really scratching my head on this as it is frustrating. I'm starting to like the idea Wayan suggested of just one image size... but I like to try and make the sites load as quickly as possible.

John Ferguson
Website Design and Development
www.jf1.co
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

[quote=John Ferguson]... I have had it happen to sites without any Grid areas set and just in Design for fallback./quote]
I'm wondering whether perhaps the banners involved may be adaptations of one or more components or templates pre-built by others - and who knows what settings those others may have had at the time even if no grids were involved.

An easy way of testing would, of course, be to wait until it next happens, and then, instead of immediately resetting the widths, to set the project temporarily to
a. Design For Display Grid, and then
b. Design For Display Flex.
If either of those put the widths back to how they were, I would be inclined to rebuild the banner from scratch in a completely new .rsd file in Fallback First, and save it as my own component.

Frank
User 2695940 Photo

148 posts

Frank Cook wrote:
[quote=John Ferguson]... I have had it happen to sites without any Grid areas set and just in Design for fallback./quote]
I'm wondering whether perhaps the banners involved may be adaptations of one or more components or templates pre-built by others - and who knows what settings those others may have had at the time even if no grids were involved.

An easy way of testing would, of course, be to wait until it next happens, and then, instead of immediately resetting the widths, to set the project temporarily to
a. Design For Display Grid, and then
b. Design For Display Flex.
If either of those put the widths back to how they were, I would be inclined to rebuild the banner from scratch in a completely new .rsd file in Fallback First, and save it as my own component.

Frank

Nice idea Frank, I'll do that and give it a try. Will let you know the results.
Thanks again,
John
John Ferguson
Website Design and Development
www.jf1.co
User 1743776 Photo

74 posts

Anything new with this?
I have the same type of problem from time to time. Happens within Symbol.
I have to reset to image from my Local and it works again until . . .

Incidentally, I have strange problems with Symbols from time to time, especially if I have two Projects open at once.

Where are Symbols stored? Should there be any problems with Symbols being "corrupted" when Project A and Project B are open for development at same time? What about a Materialize and a Foundation open at same time?
Live in a steady joy!
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,087 posts

Hi Dick,

First of all are your projects completely different, secondly do you mean symbols or components. Symbols are only able to used in the current project and cannot be shared across multiple.

If you are using components they are stored on your Coffeecup Account. If you are making changes to a component and reuploading it you will have to remove the component from your project and re-add the one you changed from your library again.

Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 1743776 Photo

74 posts

I know Symbols are not shared. Just thought that CSS may handle symbols differently in a new version. Occasionally, my local images have to be reset for Picture Elements in Symbols and in Elements. ALT description stays correct.
I think previous version of CSS got slower and slower and more jerky as it was used to the point where my cursor and keying and selection actions may have gotten out of sync with what was intended. New release has different layout and that may have confused me.
New release seems better; certainly looks better for developer. Faster, too, I think.
Love the new online guide/tutorial.
Yippee
Live in a steady joy!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.