Server Logins Disappeared - Post ID...

User 2073552 Photo

1,625 posts

Sharon wrote:
I want to upgrade. That's why I'm asking - what is this software going to do with my server settings? I would like to believe that *somebody* knows for sure what will happen when I upgrade and if there is a risk, how to avoid losing the settings by taking a preventive measure.

Four hours to redo it all is not what I consider an acceptable risk, and since I am not as accomplished as you all, that might be twelve hours for me. And before long there will be another upgrade.

When I acquired this software suite, it was not so much just for full time web masters, ya know.

That is what I am saying... Upgrade now and if you lose your site info then you take the 4 hours or 12 or 24 to fix it.

Then you export and save your projects in a backup folder so that when you upgrade again, all you have to do is import your settings from you backup.

No one can tell you for sure that it will not erase your data. We had some in the beta where it did and some that it did not. I was one of the unlucky ones and had to set it all back up. Now, all I have to do is import my setting if it happens again. Which takes 2 minutes for me and maybe 10 for you.
"An Apple doth not fall far from its tree, yet an orange does."

https://lbwebsitedesign.com - Responsive Web Design & Web Hosting Services.
http://helpsite.sirage.com - HTML5, CSS3 and CC Help Video Blog.
User 298877 Photo

Ambassador
292 posts

Hi Sharon,
In Direct FTP, go to "File -> Server Profiles -> Export"
From here you can create a text file containing all your servers, usernames and passwords etc.
Then you can import this following an upgrade if the upgrade doesn't retain your settings.
Dave
User 2073552 Photo

1,625 posts

David Smyth wrote:
Hi Sharon,
In Direct FTP, go to "File -> Server Profiles -> Export"
From here you can create a text file containing all your servers, usernames and passwords etc.
Then you can import this following an upgrade if the upgrade doesn't retain your settings.
Dave

She is on too old of a version. That options does not exist in her version.
"An Apple doth not fall far from its tree, yet an orange does."

https://lbwebsitedesign.com - Responsive Web Design & Web Hosting Services.
http://helpsite.sirage.com - HTML5, CSS3 and CC Help Video Blog.
User 198144 Photo

16 posts

Well, ok, then, thanks to all who replied to my issue.

I think the expression "bite the bullet" applies here! So I guess I had better do the upgrades and plan on getting re-acquainted on the forums, since I need to make some changes and get caught up, if possible.

I understand that some do, some don't, lose the servers that have been set up. That's an answer. I still wish the developers had created a fall-back plan for those who do. I can't be the only one in the world who shirks upgrades over this one issue.

User 508072 Photo

4 posts

Hi,
I just upgraded my DirectFTP to 6.9 build 2006 and all my server settings are gone. I still have a full backup and differential backup available to me on an external drive. Is there a file I can restore to get these settings back? I have all my server settings also in HTML Editor and other CoffeeCup programs. It would be nice if they all loaded these settings from a common file. None of the advice above was helpful for me.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

*points up the thread to the 2nd post that answered this question for the original poster* :P
User 508072 Photo

4 posts

Hi,

I did read the posts that were supposed to resolve this issue, but following them did not resolve my problem. If you mean the post that says:
" Try importing this file into your DFTP.
C:\Users\{name}\AppData\Roaming/sharedsettings.ccs
Make a backup copy before you do this. "

I don't have a c:\Users directory in Windows XP. so I searched my C:\Documents and Settings\Terriw\Application Data directory for shared*.ccs and only found one file and then a lot of backup versions in the coffeecup directory. None of these files would import into DFTP. Got an error saying "Import failed. The import file isn't readable or doesn't have the expected format"
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Thanks Terri,

That information is more helpful than if we don't already know you tried it :)

I would suggest opening a support ticket with CoffeeCup so they can try to assist you. My guess is that you'll need to redo the settings manually if you don't have a backup of that file. You may want to try doing a search on your computer (and any backup drives you might be using) for the file:

sharedsettings.ccs

and see if it finds an old one somewhere. If not, you'll most likely need to redo all the server setups again.

Once you get them back in (manually or by file) be sure to export a via the menu in the program so that you won't have this issue again. Wish I could be of more help, but unfortunately I don't think the CC team will tell you much different. It does happen at times, not sure why, but it does happen so it's always good to have a backup of that particular file.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

If you are using Windows XP, go to C:\Documents and Settings[username]\Application Data\ to find the SharedSettings.ccs file.

You will have to turn on hidden files and folders in order to access this file. Here's how:

Windows XP
Open your My Computer folder. Select Tools > Folder Options > View tab. Scroll down and select Show Hidden Files and Folders. It's also a good idea to uncheck Hide Extensions for Known File Types.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.