VSD, S-Drive questions - Post ID 146385

User 2151868 Photo

1 post

Hello everyone.

I already have purchased a bundle that has the HTML editor along with 16 other programs in it. But, I'm not so good with HTML yet...

Which brings me here.... I have an idea for a website but not the money to have it professionally developed. I have done two other websites wysiwyg style using wordpress and advanced website builder. I've since stopped doing the website on wordpress...it just didn't catch on...but I'm actively using on the awb website for another business. So, I do have experience with visual editors, is what I'm getting at. Not so much with HTML editor.

I just want to get this website on line and active and grow it from there.

What I've been reading so far is that there is not an interactive blog in VSD. One that I can actively blog on and get comments and responses from subscribers. Is that so? But it looks like there is a blogging program that I can set up if I go with the HTML editor? But that is still not interactive?

As far as S Drive goes is this going to be a hosting site then? And can I upload my VSD website to any other hosting site as well if I don't want to use S Drive?

Thank you,
Toby

User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

Toby,

First, I think some clarity is necessary. An HTML editor is just an editor for you to create webpages using HTML code. Coffee Cup's HTML editor has a lot of goodies that go beyond just the HTML, which includes Stylesheet templates, snippets, and other helps.

In order to blog with your website you have two options. You can either create a wordpress website using the wordpress platform. Or, you can create an HTML website with a link to a blogging area. However, if you do it this way, you will have to customize the blog design to match the branding of your website.

If you just want to get the website up and begin learning the process of changing it afterwords, then I suggest you look at Coffee Cup's Themes:

https://www.coffeecup.com/store/themes/

Find a design that you like and go from there. All you have to do is change the text. After you upload it, you can then begin looking at the theme as a way of learning how a website is constructed using HTML and CSS. Themes are not only useful, but also educational.

Regarding VSD. VSD is just a WYSIWYG editor for building websites. You can upload your website to any server you wish. Same with the html editor. Both have the FTP functionality built in, you just have to configure it to your server for the upload.

Regarding S-drive. S-drive is still being tested, and its final appearance will vary depending on those beta tests. Think of S-drive more like you would content management.
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

My Personal Website: http://www.EricSEnglish.com

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Sounds to me like VSD would be your better choice, especially if you haven't got this site already done or started that you want to work on. You can't import into VSD, but starting from scratch is a pretty nice experience from what I hear of the users of the program. Take it for a trial run and see if that's maybe where you should start with building :)
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

With VSD it's very easy to add a blog with the CC Flash Blogger, but the CC blog doesn't have comments (you could put a comments form on the page, but comments would go to your email). You can also use the Stream (from S-Drive) as a blog. VSD has an insert button for it. Once you get the account, and set up your Stream, you can access it from anywhere with your username/password and new entries will show up on your VSD site (but no comments with this option either).
You could also create your blog with any blogging software and put a link on your VSD site to it, or have it show on your site by putting it in an Iframe.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.