A Joomla or Wordpress Template...

User 544680 Photo

171 posts

Tom wrote:
What type of bugs? Are these bugs with Drupal or plugins? I threw up a quick test site using Drupal and the template functioned as expected using 2.5. And I have no problems with Joomla or WordPress templates. 3.0 has some issues but it's in beta.

We must have been posting at nearly the same time. I experienced a variety of bugs from taxonomy terms not appearing, header line-height issues, template export problems, program crashes, navigation menu not functioning, to mention a few.

My sites are pretty basic in structure and don't make use of many modules (no CCK, no Panels, etc.) so I can't speak to module incompatibilities.

In short, I found that the program did not do what is was designed to do. It would require tweaking the code, for example, to make taxonomy terms appear or adjust header line-height, etc. Things the program was designed to do so you didn't have to mess with the code.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Well I agree that $130 is a lot of money for software that you can't use.

I realize this isn't the proper place to discuss another software program but I cannot recommend to anyone that they purchase Artisteer.

I don't have a problem discussing software on this site as long as CC does not sell a competing product. And CC doesn't produce a cms/blog template creator.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 1795311 Photo

35 posts

I use Artisteer all the time, mostly for WP sites, never had a problem with it and I have been using it since early 2009.

www.morgasstudio.com is my latest project.

Morga
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

I haven't had an issue with Joomla or WordPress. Nor the brief Drupal install I had been testing out. But I didn't use many features in Drupal, either. So I don't doubt some people having issues. I have have just never experienced any, myself. This is with ver 2.5. I did notice some quirks with 3.0 and Joomla 1.6. To each his own. If it works for you, it is a nice tool.
User 544680 Photo

171 posts

Here's a simple example you can follow. This problem occurred in the last version I was able to download (v2.5.0.29918).

1) Create a new template.
2) Select Articles from the menu.
3) Under Text Formatting, change Line Spacing to something other than Default.

You'll see that Headline and Slogan Text is affected by changing the Article line spacing property. I've attached a screen print to demonstrate the problem.

Perhaps it's a minor issue but this is an example of something that worked fine in previous versions but didn't in a newer version. There are workarounds, such as altering the CSS file after exporting the template.
Attachments:
User 544680 Photo

171 posts

I must clarify that I misspoke when I said none of the versions I owned worked with WP 3. The last build I was able to download before my one year expired was the first build to support WP 3. After posting here, I decided to revisit Artisteer and see if I could work around the bugs. All seemed to go okay (except the bug mentioned above). Another problem was that any widgets placed in the footer would not display properly.

Not too long after my year expired, Artisteer released another build (2.5.0.31067). According to their web site, here is a list of the bugs fixed in this build:

Artisteer 2.5 was updated to version 2.5.0.31067 to resolve issues mainly related to WordPress 3.0 compatibility.

Artisteer 2.5 for Windows update (2.5.0.31067)
Artisteer 2.5 Release Candidate for Mac (2.5.0.31073)

Prior to downloading we recommend checking your upgrade subscription status here, you may want to stay with your previous version if your upgrade period has expired.
For more information on our upgrade policy please refer to our FAQ.

Here is the summary of issues resolved by the current update:

WordPress:
    Horizontal menu order was not working
    Empty block headers displayed when no block title was set
    Vertical Menu widget was missing from exported themes when using previous WordPress versions
    Widgetized footer was inheriting alignment from the footer's text
    Threaded comments were not supported
    Missing page thumbnails
    Posts page item was not highlighted in custom horizontal menus
    Post excerpts were wrapped differently in different browsers
    Empty posts when Artiscle > Headline & Metadata Block option was used
    'Read the rest of this entry' text wasn't translated
    Errors when using PHP 4
    Added support for headings, tables, flash, AdSense, YouTube movies etc. within post excerpts on the Posts page

This is an example of what irritates me. Artisteer releases a build that fixes bugs in the same version (2.5) of the software but because my year had expired, I would have to pay for another year in order to fix the bugs. I told them I'd be %*!@#* if I paid for another year to be a beta tester.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

BookPublisher wrote:
Here's a simple example you can follow. This problem occurred in the last version I was able to download (v2.5.0.29918).

1) Create a new template.
2) Select Articles from the menu.
3) Under Text Formatting, change Line Spacing to something other than Default.

You'll see that Headline and Slogan Text is affected by changing the Article line spacing property. I've attached a screen print to demonstrate the problem.

Perhaps it's a minor issue but this is an example of something that worked fine in previous versions but didn't in a newer version. There are workarounds, such as altering the CSS file after exporting the template.

Yes, I have run into that problem. I must admit that it is an issue if you are tied to the GUI. And I have to say that having the headline as an <h1> tag the same on all pages sucks for seo.
User 544680 Photo

171 posts

One of the selling points displayed on their front page is "No need to learn Photoshop, CSS, HTML or other technologies." One of the reasons I purchased the software was so I wouldn't have to dig in to the CSS to edit. I wanted to design a site within the program and be finished with it. Kind of like CC Shopping Cart Designer (but it, too, is incomplete and I must tweak the CSS file to get what I want).
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

I see your point. You only have to read through their forum to see people do have problems. But I do feel that while not perfect, it is a good tool to speed up template creation.
User 544680 Photo

171 posts

I would agree to an extent. It is an excellent idea. I just believe it fails to fully deliver on what they say it can do. It's half-baked software at present. Coffee Cup may be able to do a better job should they decide to do something like this.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.