Library Items not updating - Post ID...

User 1987354 Photo

29 posts

Library items are updating. I've tried both editing the existing item and updating the current page; and importing the edited item and updating the current page. Neither method works and I get an error msg in the update box at the bottom of the page. I also tried a couple of different library items.
When I look in the "Library" folder, the items are there but have not updated with any changes.
I've included a screen dump of the page and error.
Need help.

thanks
Attachments:
User 1987354 Photo

29 posts

Here is another capture of the library item where I have highlighted the change...as you can see from the previous screen capture, the menu has not changed.

thanks
Attachments:
User 2287960 Photo

Ambassador
580 posts

File name does not look right to me _1 ?

Keith
User 38185 Photo

Ambassador
25 posts

Hi Linda,

Just out of curiosity: have you tried closing HTML Editor & restarting, then re-opening your project files? I had this happen to me a few months back and could never reproduce the problem, but restarting HTML Editor and re-loading my project file fixed the issue I was having.
User 1987354 Photo

29 posts

Hi:
Keith, I'm not sure what you're referring to. We do some underscores in our file names, if that's what you mean, and they are valid characters for a name. Thanks for helping :)

Ed, yes I've done that and sometimes it works and also if I select the entire library item in the html then double click on the library item in the library, essentially "replacing" it in the html, then it works and subsequent tries after that work with the normal updating method. Thanks for helping :)

I've also had problems with the temporary files that are created (for previewing)...they are a real pain when trying to update all project pages because it tries to update the temp files, which in turn brings everything to a dead stop and hangs up the process. They have to be deleted before doing the update project pages function. I used to be able to see them in the editor, now I don't find them there. I now have to go to my FTP program, where I can see them, delete them, then go back to the editor and proceed. There needs to be a way to update without having to worry about the temporary pages.

I've actually had to restart for various problems that seem to arise, and even had to reinstall the entire program a couple of times. Basically, I'm a bit frustrated at the list of processes that start working oddly or stop altogether and answers from the folks at CC seem to be somewhat "oh well deal with it" or they refer to the "manual" which is very basic and vague in areas. For the cost of the program, I suppose this is to be expected...I guess I just expected more from this company and am disappointed. I hope the programers at CC will look at this stuff and make some bug fixes.

Thanks again for the help...maybe some other folks have encountered these things and can weigh in! :)
Linda

So, CC gurus, I would still like to know when this kind of problem is going to be fixed so that all the hoops that we have to jump through start to disappear.
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Hey Linda,

Library items are updating. I've tried both editing the existing item and updating the current page; and importing the edited item and updating the current page. Neither method works and I get an error msg in the update box at the bottom of the page. I also tried a couple of different library items.

You are receiving that error message because you are trying to update a library item that has been:

a. Either edited directly or
b. Duplicated.

This is evident by the _1 in the file name. You can see this in the image you attached here:

https://s15.postimg.org/65hspb6p7/library_error9_1_16_2.jpg

So all you need to do is remove the old library item that is missing the _1 and add the newly created one.

Basically, I'm a bit frustrated at the list of processes that start working oddly or stop altogether and answers from the folks at CC seem to be somewhat "oh well deal with it" or they refer to the "manual" which is very basic and vague in areas. For the cost of the program, I suppose this is to be expected...I guess I just expected more from this company and am disappointed. I hope the programers at CC will look at this stuff and make some bug fixes.

We have no record of a support ticket being opened for this issue. While we do encourage users to read the manual, it is because it really does help getting to know the product, and allows you to get your feet wet a bit. Also, providing you with a way to find more information can never hurt. ;)

So, CC gurus, I would still like to know when this kind of problem is going to be fixed so that all the hoops that we have to jump through start to disappear.

Simply do not duplicate and/or manually edit the library items and if you do, ensure to remove the old library item, and add the new. Messing with hoops and ladders can cause issues. :P
User 1987354 Photo

29 posts

Hi Adam, thanks for the reply :)
You are receiving that error message because you are trying to update a library item that has been:
a. Either edited directly or
b. Duplicated.
This is evident by the _1 in the file name...

Simply do not duplicate and/or manually edit the library items and if you do, ensure to remove the old library item, and add the new

I'm not sure what you mean by manually edit the library item. I am selecting the library item, clicking on the "edit library code" button, editing, saving, then updating the pages. Is this not the proper way to do this?

As for duplicating the item--I notice this happens if I import a lib item of the same name as one I have in my library. Is that how the _1 item happened? I see now that the filename has been appended, even though the lib item name was not appended. I guess I never thought to look in that area for a different filename because the lib item never changed its name.

I work with another person on the site but on different computers. We purposely keep the same lib item names, so we're both "on the same page" so to say. When I imported, I did not first delete the old one as I assumed I would be asked to overwrite the old or rename the new but that wasn't the case. So I deleted the old one, after figuring out which one it was, then tried to update and that's when the problem occurred. Is that when the _1 lib item came into play? Should I have first deleted the ones I new were going to be replaced by the imported items?
=================
Also could you help me out with this (I posted in my previous reply, but you didn't get to it :))
I've also had problems with the temporary files that are created (for previewing)...they are a real pain when trying to update all project pages because it tries to update the temp files, which in turn brings everything to a dead stop and hangs up the process. They have to be deleted before doing the update project pages function. I used to be able to see them in the editor, now I don't find them there. I now have to go to my FTP program, where I can see them, delete them, then go back to the editor and proceed. Is there a way to update without having to worry about the temporary pages.

Thank you Adam!
Linda

User 1987354 Photo

29 posts

Hi Adam

I tried another couple of tests and still receive the same error...kind of...now it is saying it can't find an item that is not even the one I have highlighted to update! And, I just noticed that the library items folder is not being updated...all the dates are from weeks ago. Why is this happening? Do I have to manually copy the "import" library items directly into the folder? I though that was what importing while in the Editor was supposed to do.

Please help!!! I am completely confused now! The manual is no help at all...as it simply states to import the items and voila it's done. Hmmm. HELP! And I closed and restarted before doing any of this.

Thanks
Linda
User 2287960 Photo

Ambassador
580 posts

I am presuming that you have seen this page:

http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/understanding-and-using-library-items/

What is causing the problem is the name in the HTML has to be the same as the filename. Library items can not have the same name they must be different.

If you are still having problems post the main problem so we can sort that out first.

Keith
User 1987354 Photo

29 posts

Keith,
Yes, I've read the user guide.
I'm not sure I follow you as to why I'm having problems. I give the lib item a title when creating it within the "add library item" dialog box. I noticed in the example in the guide that the title has spaces between words but the item name in the html does not contain those spaces. I always name things without spaces so the lib title and the html are the same when inserting the lib item.
What is causing the problem is the name in the HTML has to be the same as the filename. Library items can not have the same name they must be different.

Are you referring to different lib items not having the same name or that the title must be different (as in spaces vs no spaces) from the name in the html? I realize that I can't have duplicate named lib items.
Thanks
Linda

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.