FTP problems - Post ID 93772

User 12657 Photo

616 posts

I don't know what happened, I had to take a hiatus from my web designing for a while. When I left, I had no problems up loading using the built in ftp on firestarter, video player, juke box and photo album. Now the only one that works is juke box. I use the exact same ftp settings on all the programs but only jukebox does a succesfull upload. I thought, maybe it was a conflict problem with vista (both my new machines are vista) but I tried it on my laptop (which is XP) and I get the same results. I tried using the stand alone direct ftp program but that doesn't work any better. The internal ftp programs connect but don't show any directory to upload to ("upload here"), the jukebox program does show the directory. The direct ftp status bar say's the files are uploading but when it finishes the files are not in the directory even though the message says "upload complete" and the log say the upload was successful. any suggestions?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts

Some questions:

Do you try uploading to the same server with the apps you mention?
Have you tried uploading to a different server?
Have you got the latest versions of the programmes?
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 12657 Photo

616 posts

Hi Inger,
Well now, I think I've tried just about everything in my (small) knowledge base including everything that you mentioned. One thing I did find out though is that I had a typo in the server information when I tried to use my lap top. After correctiong the typo I had no problem uploading from firestarter, jukebox and photo gallery but I couldn't check the video player because it keeps freezing at 1% when trying to convert 1 small (13mb) avi file, eventyally I get an I/O error message and it never goes any further. I went back and checked to make sure I have the correct information in the various servers I set up on the vista machines. They are all correct, the message I'm getting from two of them is "invalid username or password" but I checked and re entered the information (even copy and pasting from jukebox) but it's not working.
I now think it is some kind of incompatibility with my vista OS
As for the different servers, yes, I have five, two of which I just set up to make sure I had the right information entered. I also downloaded filezilla and tested each server, no problems and no problems with the built in ftp in my Adobe software.
User 146460 Photo

3 posts

Hi Folks,

I was getting the same issues on Vista and Win7 RC and then it started happening on XP. If I turn my Antivirus off it seems to be OK. I'm running Sunbelt Vipre for AV.
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

"invalid username or password" A typo or wrong information will prevent access. You may have to reset your ftp login info
The Guy from OZ

User 103982 Photo

Ambassador
11 posts

I'm finding a couple issues..

1. have Win7 64-bit.. dFTP 6.6 is crashing
2. have Verizon FiOS & dFTP is kind enough to overrun the servers I upload to, even when set for only 1 connection..

1. prob can be fixed here
2. pinged my webhosts about giving me more connections to upload, they won't.
JLIrish
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, former CCNA
jlirish.com, esperanzasystems.com (2 of my playgrounds)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.