Anyone else having issues with Direct...

User 1935511 Photo

46 posts

Th issue is something going on with HostGator/EIG. I just had trouble connecting via FileZilla, something that had not happened before. However, once I connected and logged in, I could navigate wherever I needed to go. I then logged out from FileZilla and immediately logged in via Direct FTP. There was no problem logging in, but like before, I could only navigate 2 levels into the website before DFTP was unable to go any deeper. This is a WordPress website. I went from public_html to wp-content, and attempted to open the themes folder. No go. This is where DFTP loses the server connection. I can't even navigate back to the public_html directory. It's like the server no longer recognizes the FTP client.

This is a HostGator/EIG issue. HostGator tech support, once excellent, is nearly worthless and blames everything but themselves. I have contacted HostGator 3 times over this issue. After long, 30+ minute, wait times for both phone and Live Chat, they just tell me that everything checks out on their end. This is experience is typical of what happens to a hosting company after they are acquired by EIG. EIG moves the accounts to servers in Utah and cuts back on tech support. It happened with BlueHost and now Hostgator. I am going to request that the client change hosting companies to a non-EIG host. I have moved most of my own websites to Site5. DFTP works just fine on Site5, just like it used to work fine on HostGator.

BTW, I have the latest version of Direct FTP installed.
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

There's always S-DRIVE too! You know CC will treat you right! And the best support around. Just ask Scott! :D:D
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 1935511 Photo

46 posts

The issue seems to have mysteriously corrected itself, just as it mysteriously started. I'm still thinking that it was something caused by the less than good hosting from HostGator/EIG (HostGator exists in name only). I had been getting by using FileZilla, with the WeBuilder editor linked to it. It's good to be able to do everything with one app. I have gotten spoiled by the syntax checking and bracket matching, though.
User 2022416 Photo

25 posts

I am having the same issue with HostGator and with both DirectFTP and Shopping Cart Creator (SCC) Pro. I have never had issues connecting and uploading files before until recently. It behaves like the FTP session times outs after a few files are uploaded. HostGator's solution was to use FileZilla which worked but was not really the solution I need for SCC Pro.I have to export and then manually select the files and directories to HostGator.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but thought I would chime in that you definitely will want to have it working in SCCP otherwise the inventory control feature will not work.
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Hi Craig,

From my time in the forums I have seen this problem with HostGator come up a lot since the take over. You may want to move hosting providers. CC has an excellent S-Drive service that has been mentioned before. I would consider moving because to me customer support means more then cheap hosting especially when the problems start.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.