Learn CSS Grid today! - Page 2 - Post...

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts

Angie Mulligan wrote:
[quote=Wayan Jaya][quote=Bob Visser]Hey Chuck!

I answered this yesterday on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/CoffeeCup/status/900393978411003904

Here's a recap:

Not entirely sure just yet. For now you can test designing with @getbootstrap 3 (and 4) with #cssgrid (versus float / flex grids). We don’t feel the @ZURBfoundation 6 and @getbootstrap 4 flex grids are future proof. We created Free CSS Grid Builder to get feedback.

Would your advice be not using Foundation6 if it's not future proof?

What he meant by that I think is that the future is with the new CSS grid,, ^ that will one day be replaced by this new way
for new developments, but will of course still be around and in use by millions of sites that have been made using those frameworks.
This new one is best used for trial & error, and getting to know your way around the new way,,, of doing stuff, which although at the moment is still growing,, one day in the not too distant future it will be the way to go.
I wouldn't even think about using it for making a full blown web-site just yet,, (I am in the middle of my second day using it,, it has a great potential, but is a very steep learning curve and a very very different approach required not so much in the doing but in the thinking, and it has quite a few bugs at the moment.

The team at CC haven't released it as a replacement for anything, they have released it as a TRIAL TEST it & SEE.
MY advice would be to download it, and play around with it but not for anything that is going to be a full on web-site, at the moment, Learn the new way so that you can easily slide into it once it gets going full strength, for any serious stuff continue with the old way for the moment,
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 185561 Photo

102 posts

It is the wave of the future. It really needs to be more backwards compatible too.
Once you accomplish the impossible, then you can move on to the hard stuff!
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts

IS it me or what but I can't for the life of me add another page
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

I think they haven't added the feature 'create a new page' yet. So for the time being, you probably have to create a new project for every page.

I understand the principle of this css grid system, but I'm having a hard time using the CGB to achieve someting...
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Bob Visser wrote:
We created Free CSS Grid Builder to get feedback.

I am unsure of the type of feedback that is sought. For example, would it include minor display glitches*, or is it just more general reactions?

Frank

* e.g.Element > Selected Element Properties: I have to click to the right of the 'Duplicate' symbol to make it work or to see the tooltip.
User 185561 Photo

102 posts

My experience with all of the CC software is that they would like both feedback about ideas for how to make the software better AND for any existing glitches, crashes, etc. that exist.
Once you accomplish the impossible, then you can move on to the hard stuff!
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts

Inger wrote:
I think they haven't added the feature 'create a new page' yet. So for the time being, you probably have to create a new project for every page.

I understand the principle of this css grid system, but I'm having a hard time using the CGB to achieve someting...

I have done a page already, but not sure I have done it the way it should be done, I understand things are in development & state of flux,, but the demo/instructions don't even clearly lay out how to set the grid up,, it just says do this do that, no clear description as to how to do this & that.
I do feel that it will be good once understood & can use it properly,, I will miss the good old sub-grid though :D
Take care everyone,,
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Wayan Jaya wrote:
I understand things are in development & state of flux,, but the demo/instructions don't even clearly lay out how to set the grid up,, it just says do this do that, no clear description as to how to do this & that.

Exactly what I'm thinking too.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Chuck (ITManager) wrote:
My experience with all of the CC software is that they would like both feedback about ideas for how to make the software better AND for any existing glitches, crashes, etc. that exist.

Thanks. I'll treat the glitch I mentioned as duly reported, and, unless requested to the contrary, will report future discoveries as usual via My Support Room.

Frank
User 232214 Photo

COO
827 posts

Angie Mulligan wrote:
Bob Visser wrote:

I answered this yesterday on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/CoffeeCup/status/900393978411003904

Here's a recap:

Not entirely sure just yet. For now you can test designing with @getbootstrap 3 (and 4) with #cssgrid (versus float / flex grids). We don’t feel the @ZURBfoundation 6 and @getbootstrap 4 flex grids are future proof. We created Free CSS Grid Builder to get feedback.

Would your advice be not using Foundation6 if it's not future proof?

Angie, these frameworks consists of different parts. Although they largely originated from their pre-built html/css grid systems, there is a lot more to them these days. These grid systems are now using flexbox, which is totally ok for page sections. However, flexbox was never made to manage the overall / full page layout. :P

CSS Grid is meant to do that. With the CSS Grid Builder app you are building your layouts using nested containers (<div>'s or <section>'s etc.) controlled by CSS Grid. So their grid systems are not needed and not being used.

However, you can still use all the other goodness from these frameworks such as predefined classes and Javascript libraries that help to create dropdowns, galleries and so on. :cool:

Hope that clarifies it!
The future of web layout has arrived and it's called CSS Grid. CoffeeCup helps you to get ready with a free guide, the Grid Builder app plus cool demos & themes.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.