Overlay old site? - Post ID 149260

User 2174069 Photo

28 posts

I am a retired cobol programmer, so am somewhat computer literate, but have no knowledge whatsoever about web site building. I have been asked to rebuild our church's site, so I have just ordered "Web Site Design for Dummies"! Your Virtual Site Designer looks like exactly what I need, as I have no desire to learn another language at this point in my life. Before I order the trial version, however, I have a question - Is it possible to completly build a new site with VSD and then overlay the old site which was built with Front Page?
User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

This is not possible. What you will want to do is to delete the old files off the server and then upload the VSD website. Actually, until you have completely finished you may want to just send the old files to your computer and zip them up for safe keeping. Then you can delete them if you want once the new website is uploaded.
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

My Personal Website: http://www.EricSEnglish.com

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

hiya Camilla,

Can you be more specific on what you mean about overlaying? Visual Site Designer is an all inclusive program, meaning it builds the files itself and is all kept in a single .vnu file. When you upload it, it basically extracts all the files form that .vnu file at that time and uploads them from it. You can't input anything into that file, nor can you import anything that is already prebuilt into the VSD program. The only thing you could do is get the code from your current pages and use the HTML Tool built into VSD to insert the content you want to the VSD pages.

Hopefully that made sense lol. I don't use the VSD program myself, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Other than that if that's not what you are meaning by overlaying then I guess I need more info on what you mean :)

And welcome to the CC forums and hopefully you'll find what you're looking for here :)

*edit* Philosopher beat me to the post lol, I been playing with Windows 7 speech recognition stuff and forgot I had this post open so long :P
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

You can use copy/paste for the text. Everything else has to built.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.