Newb... mostly. - Post ID 264983

User 1748617 Photo

9 posts

I used to build websites, seems like an age ago, and I'm way outta the loop. I've had CC software for a lot of that time, but haven't had the need to use it. I want to build a website now, and I have NO idea where to start.
I have Visual Site Designer (no longer supported); HTML Editor (no longer supported); Image Mapper 4.2 (update avail); Foundation Framer 2.0 (update avail); and Direct FTP 6.9.
Where do I go from here? Do I need to add anything to that list of resources? I haven't had time to get into Foundation Framer much, but when I did I was completely lost.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
User 2699991 Photo

4,803 posts
Online Now

Hi there from sunny Bali (although at the moment in deepest darkest Java)

Personally just stick with Foundation Framer right now, because it is a great app for creating great web-sites that are responsive. The problem is that it doesn't yet have much in the way of information that is easy for a newcomer to get anything workable from.

Foundation Framer works from Mobile size viewport up to large screens, which also for anyone new to this concept is a very daunting thing, but one you get the hang of it you will wonder how you ever managed before.

My best advice for the moment would be to forget about trying to produce something that is going to be anything like a finished project, just play with it and take it step by step.

Get a simple one page design down on paper (or however you thought about it and planned it out before) there are some useful tips and suggestions within the knowledge/ articles for RSD (which will help you understand the system about rows, columns subgrids etc etc (all be it opposite way to do things ié RSD starts from desktop and works down to mobile sizes) it is basically the same principle. There are some video's made bt other users available on You yube (sorry I can't provide links or anything as here in Indonesia we get blocked by you-tube for some things, and for some obscure reason those videos get blocked for me.

I also have helped a couple of people out with FF and RSD by interacting via e-mail and I make my own video made especially for the situation for others to follow, if you would like for me to help you get going you could contact me by e-mail (on my profile) and I would be happy to help guide you through the basics.

Stick at it don't get dispondent, once you get going it is really a fantastic tool to add to your weaponary for producing great web-sites.

Take care and have a great day everybody wherever in the world you are.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Rebecca, HTML Editor is indeed still supported, but you might want to get the newest version.

Depending on your coding skills, you could e.g. download a framework from getbootstrap.com or foundation.zurb.com and use it as your starting point in HTML Editor.

If you prefer minimal coding, Responsive Site Designer or Responsive Foundation Framer might be the right thing for you. The former, RSD, can be used either way; from desktop down to mobile size, or vice versa. RFF is for starting with mobile size and then build it out to fit larger screens.
There are lots of helpful videos on YouTube to get you started. And as Wayan says, he has helped people before and will do it again, if you need to.

If you prefer coding and the HTML Editor, I would be able to get you started with Bootstrap.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.