how do you open an existing website -...

User 2862968 Photo

7 posts

I am coming from Expression Web, which I have used for years but it is no longer supported by its creator, Microsoft. I still use it, but I am looking for a new program.

How do I open the website in Coffee Cup? I can see how to open one file/page, but how do I open the whole existing site which is on my computer?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

The best way is to create a Website Project.

http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … ml-editor/
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Editor, it actually depends on which CoffeeCup programme you are interested in. If you are familiar with code (I don't know Expression Web), then do as Scott says.
However, if you are looking at one of the responsive site builders, where you don't need to code yourself (Not much, anyway), you will have to start again from scratch.
Mind you, with RSD, RFF or RBB you may be able to import chunks of your existing site, that depends on - well, your existing site. We may be able to help with that.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2862968 Photo

7 posts

Expression Web is a full-blown code editor (which MS ended because they couldn't compete with other existing editors, but it was loved by many) and I know enough code to be dangerous, but I do edit code a bit and have created much of my website, but I am an editor not a developer. I am currently creating a new Wordpress site, but it is months away and I need to update my existing (and much older and non-responsive) site, which requires a good html editor and am having problems with Expression Web. And the Wordpress site requires editing of code as a child theme. Plus I have another directory site (which is much newer and responsive) that is a CMS, but requires editing code, so I need a good editor for that, too.
User 2862968 Photo

7 posts

also - can someone tell me how to set it up so I get emailed when there is a reply to forum threads? I can'f find the option
User 2862968 Photo

7 posts

I went to create a website project as per Scott's suggestion, but now the menu has changed. I opened a file in my current site to see how that works and even connected to my server to test that, but now it is stuck in showing only the list of files and no options are available to start or open or anything with a website project. The menu originally had open and create a project as menu items, but now they are gone and I can't see how to bring it back. I can't even figure out how to view the file in code again.
User 2287960 Photo

Ambassador
580 posts

editor wrote:
also - can someone tell me how to set it up so I get emailed when there is a reply to forum threads? I can'f find the option

Click subscribe at top of page.

Keith
User 2862968 Photo

7 posts

great - thanks
User 2862968 Photo

7 posts

I figured out my menu problem - just wasn't paying attention.
User 3045702 Photo

3 posts

:) BOTTOM LINE on CoffeeCup Site Designer vs HTML Editor vs WYSIWYG editing

this post is helpful but could use some bottom line clarification for editors trying out CoffeeCup to edit an existing website.

Our site has thousands of existing web pages, coded in .php format because we use php includes to build page header and footer areas.

If I've got this right, you can NOT edit a pre-existing website page (.php or .htm or .html) using CoffeeCup Site Designer if the site wasn't originally built using that tool - because SD has its own page structure, files, etc.

You CAN edit any pre-existing web page in any of those formats using CoffeeCup HTML Editor.

Regrettably CoffeeCup HTML Editor is not a WYSIWYG editor though it does have a good split screen that can show the page in both code and finished views.

BTW, page content built using a .php include statement does NOT appear in pages viewed using CoffeeCup HTML editor but will appear if you view the same page using Dreamweaver or, of course, online live using any browser.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.