Suggestions for CoffeeCup Website...

User 1943866 Photo

2 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Chris Berkeley wrote:
Just a small thing but XML sitemaps don't have to be called sitemap.xml.

There should be a way of setting the sitemap name or something or switching off the look up for "advanced users"

That is actually not 100% correct. The one Google and Bing look for is sitemap.xml.

Strictly speaking the default XML sitemap is sitemap.xml but both Google and Bing allow you to submit a sitemap with any prefix you like and multiple sitemaps for that matter.

I notice that the very popular SEO Wordpress add-on, Yoast, creates xml site maps on the fly but does not use sitemap.xml as the name.

The one your visitors sees can be called anything you like.

I take it that you are referring to an HTML sitemap and not an XML one - there is a difference.
User 43105 Photo

1 post

Suggestion: the sitemap is now expected to be in the root. But this is not necessarily so. A sitemap can reside in a subdirectory as long as the location is referenced in the robots.txt. So if no sitemap is found in the root, the robots.txt should be examined and maybe a suggestion should be made to place the sitemap.xml in the root to make sure, all files are indexed correctly by the search engines. This would be more helpful than just saying no sitemap found.
User 103339 Photo

10 posts

You give some good information, but I just think there should be ways to drill down to more info or ways to quickly move back to the information or edit information within Insight. Some of this may already be there and I am just missing it.

Examples:
  • You tell me I have missing ALT text; Allow us to click a link and have it take us to the Image Alt Text tab in Keywords. Have the missing ALT text information in red.
  • You tell me about backlinks from Alexa; It would be great to be able to click a link that lists them so we can verify whether they are good or bad backlinks.
  • You tell me I should have a robot.txt file and then link me to an information page. Why not create a link that will generate a generic robot.txt file that can be uploaded? You could even have it show a list that allows you to checkoff what you don't want crawled and puts that in the .txt file.
  • You show me the keywords with some great data, but you don't show me keyword ranking. Where do I rank with those keywords?
  • Let me click on a link in the Insight Breakdown and have that open the local source at that link so I can modify anything on the spot. I guess this leads me to my final sentence...
Make this a tool that can link to our FTP and/or Editor so we can make changes directly from the Insight tool. Integrated and interactive for the win!

Sorry, just my .02.

User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Hello Jerry,

Website Insight is an infant and is growing quickly a lot of things have not been added that were in the original mockup. So let me address your examples. :)

Have the missing ALT text information in red.

There is no alt text to turn red. :) However we could include the image name in red.

You tell me about backlinks from Alexa; It would be great to be able to click a link that lists them so we can verify whether they are good or bad backlinks.

I will add this to our list. Until then you can always find that information here http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo

You tell me I should have a robot.txt file and then link me to an information page. Why not create a link that will generate a generic robot.txt file that can be uploaded? You could even have it show a list that allows you to checkoff what you don't want crawled and puts that in the .txt file.

This is not something that WI will do. This is something that we are planning to add to Sitemapper as it is more inline with that program. :)

Let me click on a link in the Insight Breakdown and have that open the local source at that link so I can modify anything on the spot. I guess this leads me to my final sentence...
Make this a tool that can link to our FTP and/or Editor so we can make changes directly from the Insight tool. Integrated and interactive for the win!

This one I do not think will ever happen...

Website Insight is a powerful tool for SEO. We want to keep it just that. Why would you want built in FTP and an HTML Editor? That is just more clutter then is needed. The program is growing everyday. :) Just wait until you see the next release...

You are going to love it. :P

Thanks!
User 212529 Photo

7 posts

Hi, love the software so far, I bought a license because of the program's promise, though I have to admit it feels slightly unfinished still -- just want to support the process and look forward to seeing it evolve. Two things that I think are missing and really needed to make this feel like a "complete" software product:

1. Export reports as PDF, text, or CSV data. One of my primary uses for a tool like this would be to create simple SEO snapshots and progress reports for clients. Even the ability to copy and paste data would help make this more practically useful.

2. Run keyword reports based on target phrases, i.e. how well is page content optimized if the target search terms are say "Boston Gumshoe" and "East Coast Shamus" -- comparison to competitors sites for the same terms would be really nice too down the road....

Other folks have mentioned spidering the full site at once and that definitely ranks up there.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing what comes next!
User 2021315 Photo

4 posts

Hi,
I updated to version 2, hoping that reports export would be avaible. It is not, so another vote for that.

I would appreciate if Websight Insight working with other languages/coding: it works fine with english, but with other character sets (Windows 1250 etc.) the analysis is useless.

Thanks
User 459665 Photo

1 post

Excellent program. The one thing I would change is some way to adjust the text size in the program. On my large monitor the text is pretty small and hard to read.
User 2579994 Photo

20 posts

My old post can be deleted I guess :P

My suggestions are:
    Resize image
    Convert to png, jpg, etc etc
    Compression modes
    progressive option
User 17079 Photo

26 posts

Mark Hasting wrote:
How about being able to print out the report generated by Website Insight? This would be EXTREMELY helpful during a presentation to a client.

YES! YES! YES! -what Mark said!!!--This would be very helpful...I had to take screen shots and manually recreate the data to show to a client. So not professional..
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Gloria Ochoa wrote:
Mark Hasting wrote:
How about being able to print out the report generated by Website Insight? This would be EXTREMELY helpful during a presentation to a client.

YES! YES! YES! -what Mark said!!!--This would be very helpful...I had to take screen shots and manually recreate the data to show to a client. So not professional..

I believe this is certainly possible. We do have it in the project outline, and are working on it. :) It is a lot of coding to do.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.