Improving "near me" results - Post ID...

User 2503578 Photo

102 posts

I seem to be hitting a barrier getting my website to show up in a Google search "winery near me". Our business shows up in the Google Business search with no problem. But I just can't seem to figure out why wineries in another city are showing up and my website is not when I look purely at websites that show up. I've been using Website Insight to work through recommendations, Google Console and Google Analytics. When I make changes, I request the Google crawler so that it sees my updates. Admittedly, I still have some items showing in Website Insight, but I'm wondering if there's a particular place to focus given I'm interested in this specific "near me" search.

Diana
Three Oaks Vineyard
https://threeoaksvineyard.com/
User 2503578 Photo

102 posts

That's strange. I just recently setup SSL on the site. I wonder what the problem is.
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts

Well the first thing I would say is that there isn't anywhere near enough content on your home page especially for keyword phrases /words (not talking about the meta tags )

The verbiage that is underneath "A relaxing place for wine and friends" on larger screens is way too wide, although this has nothing to do with the question, more to do with visual appearance) it stretches to full width of the screen, which makes it difficult for most people to scan/read.
you should consider either making it less width for larger screens (maximum around 1000px or breaking it into 2 columns so that it is easier to read.
This is also where you can add extra relevant content to help increase results.

Check out the other websites pages, see what keyword/phrases they have and where on the pages those words/phrases are, then do a comparison to your page(s) that will give you a good starter for 10 for what you may need to do.

Go through your website for spelling errors ie
individual wine varietals.. including page names/descriptions/titles etc

The aim is to first get your site up to what Google & other browsers expect for their customers in order for them to even consider sending their customers to a site. Then start on getting the site visible to their customers
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts

DianaH wrote:
That's strange. I just recently setup SSL on the site. I wonder what the problem is.

forget that Diana, I pressed the wrong website address in the search
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts

Just a quick heads up,
1/ your index title meta tag thingy, should really have your location (or at least part of it)
2/ keywords should also include key phrases (especially in the form of a question(s) ((or even an answer to a question(s)
these should be also visible somewhere in your content.

Now Google does not really take much notice of keywords/phrases anymore (metatags) they will take the content on the page & try to match the content as best they can to the search term that their customer has entered, HOWEVER, other browsers are not as up to date as Google or some of the other big boys out there, hence the placement of keywords/phrases etc is still required in the meta tag thingy.
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts

Another suggestion
on your "Location" page (which could be the one for search engines to list for the term "wineries near me" there are no specific key words for that in fact there are no keywords at all, and no page description.
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2503578 Photo

102 posts

Hi Wayan,

I made some of the changes you recommended (there was a section I didn't see, so will work on that next). I am thrilled to say that we show up now in "wineries near me"!!! We're not at the top, but we are on the first page of websites. Hoping that the additional changes might move us up even more. I'll let you know when they're all done. Thank you again!!!

Diana
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

DianaH wrote:
I seem to be hitting a barrier getting my website to show up in a Google search "winery near me". Our business shows up in the Google Business search with no problem. But I just can't seem to figure out why wineries in another city are showing up and my website is not when I look purely at websites that show up. I've been using Website Insight to work through recommendations, Google Console and Google Analytics. When I make changes, I request the Google crawler so that it sees my updates. Admittedly, I still have some items showing in Website Insight, but I'm wondering if there's a particular place to focus given I'm interested in this specific "near me" search.

Diana
Three Oaks Vineyard
https://threeoaksvineyard.com/

Another suggestion is that you should change your images on your pictures page from background images to picture images (html). Background images do not get indexed by Google and search engines because they are contained in the stylesheets and considered styles. If you change them to pictures they will begin to show up in about 30 to 45 days and will improve your ranking as well.
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.