important to have photoshop?/ - Post...

User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

Eskil Fagerlund wrote:
Mark Searson wrote:
I just looked at Ebay, and you can get Paint Shop Pro 9 for under $20

That is the price of three packets of smokes in the UK!

Mark

Hello!

This is funny, because I have been searching for a good phto editing program this week.

I have used Corels Printoffice (I know, it´s not photo editing) and together with it Corel Photo house. (Talking about stone age, Mark!)

I have tyied several programs and the best (I think) is Corel, but because I´m not a pro, is the price too heavy.

After a week of testing I finally made the choise.

And the winner is..............

Yes, Adobe Photoshop Elements for total 89,54 euros.

It´s not perfect for me, but close enough.

You can´t always get everything for free and in my opinion a company that make a good product should get paid for it.
I´m proud to pay those 89,54 euros for the program.

Eskil

Mark! Our roads have not crossed tonight!

Eskil, my friend. Like ships that pass in the mist!

Elements is perfectly fine. It is a good application and is pretty adanced really. I use Photoshop CS2, but I do a lot of stuff with images and manipulation etc. Do photo retouches for peolple, takes out wrinkles and blemishes etc. It is brilliant for that type of thing. For the average user though, Photoshop is just too expensive, especially when you consider tat Jasc and Ulead do very ggod applications for an 8th of the cost.

Mark
Mark Loves CoffeeCup
User 153326 Photo

171 posts

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 - an oldie version that's available on Ebay for under $20 us now (not pirated, either!)

It actually does everything I need it to do as far as photo work - and I'm a pro photographer with my own studio, so I rely on it daily.

It won't do what the full Photoshop will do - save pages as HTML. But we have CC for that, right? :D
User 12657 Photo

616 posts

JANYS HYDE wrote:
Adam Vaughan wrote:
hello im pretty new to this still, and im curious if it imperative to have adobe or some other photo shop to properly build a web site?/

thanks
Adam

O.K. Adam,
That was flippant......sorry.......just backing up other posts here........yes.......you will need something to get your graphics as you want them.
I suggest you go looking for Jasc on ebay and pick up either the Paint Shop Pro 8 or 9.
They have been taken over by Corel so you won't get any customer support I guess, but I have never needed it and I have never really worked with anything else. For the same reason, you should get one of those pretty cheaply.
Janys ;D

You may want to give Ulead's photoImpact or Corel's Paint Shop, Paint Shop Pro or Photopaint a look.
I use Corel Draw 9 (which has Corel's Photopaint included) and Ulead's PhotoImpact 7 plus a real oldie "Picture Publisher" by Micrgrafx (no longer in business), I have Photo Shop 6.5 but I maily use it for retouching photographs for print.
I paid $69.00 US for PhotoImpact 7 brand new in the box when it first came out, it has the ability to create web backgrounds, buttons, slice images, image map, optomize files for the web, (Jpeg, Gif & PNG). As well as create links, html pages, rollovers and more. I think the latest version is 12 and it is heavy on web production capabilities. Probably won't cost more than $99.00 US.
User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

I think that having a programme that you are comfortable with is pretty important. Nothing worse than getting a new programme to do intensive tasks, then hating it. So if you have a graphics proggy you have used in the past that you liked, try it again.

I use Photoshop CS2 because I like it, it is easy for me to use, and it makes big tasks simple. However, it costs a fortune and is unrealistic for most people. See if you can get onto some of these graphics programmes web sites and download some trial software, and give them a test drive. That way you can have a good play without having to open your wallet. Then when you have found one that you like, stick with it.

Mark
Mark Loves CoffeeCup
User 174810 Photo

Trial User
2 posts

Funnily enough we developed a solution for opening Photoshop Files and slicing to HTML and to NetObjects Fusion Site Styles because of not just the cost factor, but you will find most graphics editors don´t display the layer group masks correctly, in fact none do (to my knowledge).

For me always the problem was if I don´t own photoshop what to do, when I want a fundamental edit before applying to a html design, and I was generally stuck to cropping in Photoshop Elements after making any change, but I wasn´t always able to make the changes as its a feature limited version.

The Gimp cam close, as did Paintshop Pro as alternatives, but then Layer Group Masks just dont display, so editing in them was not great.

So I had something developed that gets pretty close. Only the NetObjects version is commercial ie available for purchase, the HTML slicing one is coming soon. But there is a beta free on our site - www.templatestudiopro.com

It might help some out.
User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

Chris Dolan wrote:
Funnily enough we developed a solution for opening Photoshop Files and slicing to HTML and to NetObjects Fusion Site Styles because of not just the cost factor, but you will find most graphics editors don´t display the layer group masks correctly, in fact none do (to my knowledge).

For me always the problem was if I don´t own photoshop what to do, when I want a fundamental edit before applying to a html design, and I was generally stuck to cropping in Photoshop Elements after making any change, but I wasn´t always able to make the changes as its a feature limited version.

The Gimp cam close, as did Paintshop Pro as alternatives, but then Layer Group Masks just dont display, so editing in them was not great.

So I had something developed that gets pretty close. Only the NetObjects version is commercial ie available for purchase, the HTML slicing one is coming soon. But there is a beta free on our site - www.templatestudiopro.com

It might help some out.

Many thanks for the info. I amsure people will be coming over to take a look. I did. What restriction do you have with the beta over the full version? It may be good for CC users to know this.

Many thanks again.

Mark
Mark Loves CoffeeCup
User 174810 Photo

Trial User
2 posts

Beta version is 30 days trial. Good point to ask :-)
User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

Chris Dolan wrote:
Beta version is 30 days trial. Good point to ask :-)

Chris, thanks for the info.

Mark
Mark Loves CoffeeCup
User 160993 Photo

1 post

I use a number of graphics programs and the two I use the most are: Paint Shop Pro 9 and Photoline32. The latter is a European product which able to open and format in more file extensions than any other program I have ever used. I have Photoline32 for many years. The author provides one free upgrade each year and the last price I paid was $69.

Willard F.
User 6573 Photo

Ambassador
2,649 posts

I use microsoft picture it - It has been the best program for me and I do tons of graphics and layering. It is a memory hog - but I can wiz thru edits and cutouts and drop shadow, layer and all that quickly. Most people who visit and need photos edited or a graphic designed are just amazed on how great the program is. They don't make picture it anymore - they gone to a different program. But I use microsoft picture it 2000 and I tried a later version - but keep coming back to this one. I also have the adobe stuff and many others - but I just find my using picture it. You can usually find it on ebay for around $20 to $30. I do lots of logo work with it.

Some you can see are www.mannsquarterhorses.com (bridge), www.cowgirlbroker.com (was gal and her horse - designed from a photo), www.banjoranch.com (used a photo of their ranch and added some barbwire and lettering) and www.cornerstoneranch.com is my new site if I ever get time to finish it - but the main page top I created it from picture of our field and cut outs I did on horses and such - all layered and special effects done.

Anyway that is just a few.

Kim :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.