Web Form Builder, Is it worth it? -...

User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

mcgyver210 wrote:
I also have read here about some having issues after purchasing with how it works on independent server space which in at least one case the answer given was get a new Hosting Company. This is a standard fall back answer when something doesn't work, Blame the Host Server.

I wouldn't say that the answer is a "standard fall back answer", but YES it can be true that some people may need (or want) to change service providers. IF the company that you are LEASING server space from is unwilling to provide you with the newer (if not newest) version of PHP it's probably time to consider looking elsewhere. IF that company is making changes to their security policies, which prohibit you from being able to perform simple functions (like sending e-mails generated from your form script) it's probably time to move on. Several companies have displayed just such issues within the last six months or so, and ultimately yes, the answer was to change hosts.

CC's long term solution - S-Drive/Stream which is developing into a replacement option (for some) to the traditional host company. Since CC is creating it, with their software customers in mind, you can rest assured that your site (created with CC's software) WILL WORK!
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Yep I agree with Phil for his answers, and the main thing to keep in mind is that so far "every" single time it's been suggested to someone to get a new hosting server, it has been because their server will not install PHP for them which is required for this program. There's nothing anyone can do to fix that other than tell them to change servers, so it's not really a cop out or a "standard fall back" it's the basic truth of the situation. You need PHP 5.1 or higher to run this program. If you're running on a Linux server, chances are you're already set. If you're not sure, you can go back to the links I posted which tell you how to check your PHP version.

As for the coding part, it's really not any harder with this program as it was with the Flash version, just that you "need" to upload the files yourself. Here is exactly how it's working for me:

1. Hit the Files link in the top left corner on the menu

2.Choose Export and choose Manual Server Setup

3.Navigate in the window that pops up to the folder on your computer where you want the files to be saved for uploading (hint: create this folder ahead of time so you know where it's going)

4.It then exports the files into a folder and opens a window with the code you need to place on your site.
There is only 1 extra bit of code you need here that you didn't need in the Classic version and that's the part that goes in the <head></head> tags. Since I don't believe it matters where that goes I would put it just before the head closing tag </head>
The other part of the code you had to put in your site page before too so that's not difficult at all.

5.From here is where the major difference is but... CC provides FreeFTP which costs nothing, so you can setup an FTP account in there to your server to upload the files manually. You would have to set up an FTP connection in the program if they added it so this really isn't any more work than before.

6.Now from there in the FTP program connect to your server, navigate on the local side to where you had the program export the files and find the folder it created. OPEN the folder and transfer the contents of the folder it saved NOT the folder itself to your server root directory or the directory of the page you have the form on, same as before (providing you aren't on Wordpress or the like which works differently) and wallah! You have a form!

7.Don't forget to update/upload your site page too that has the form on it.

It's really not super difficult, and trust me, ask and anyone here will be glad to help you through any of the above steps if you get stuck, and CC will give you full individual help if need be with putting in a ticket.

Sounds like you're a bit reluctant as it's a new concept for you to do the uploading yourself, but it's not really difficult, and we're all here to help if you need us :)
User 500092 Photo

42 posts

Phil I speak on the standard fall back scenario from experience with many different support situations (Not just Software). Even in my business I run into situation where my potential clients were given a Standard Fall Back Answer by companies that really didn't know how to properly diagnose the problem. Also I just fixed a issue that was a very easy fix after I sat down & just analyzed it. This was later after I was given the standard fall back answer blaming my Host company in this situation. Of course I know this is easy to do based on odds but in my case I would rather say I don't know what is wrong or ask more questions to analyze the problem & if all else fails I have people more knowledgeable than me to ask for help.

Luckily although I am by far no expert I am also not a beginner.

JoAnn that is a good set of instructions & no Im not reluctant to try it just because of the manual uploading. I have purchased the old Big Gulp Package so I even have the CC FTP but prefer to use another I also have. I am most reluctant with not knowing if it will work to my satisfaction on my servers. I don't feel I really need to mess with the SDrive at this time being it only has one form free. Also if I understand correctly only real reason to purchase the paid one is the independent servers?

Also please understand in my case I have a very good Hosting Company with AWESOME support. Another thing is I use dedicated space that gives me Full Root Access which is more than my knowledge can use 100% which is why I prefer a Dedicated Managed account. This also means if I want to I can bypass most security measures if I choose to.

I do have to try a few things before asking for help & fail though usually. The one part not sure about is WP since my WP knowledge is beginner with my son handling most of the day to day WP stuff.

Now this seems to be one of the only products I have ever seen that there seems to be no negatives to speak of based on responses.:)

Answer this please, does it still send an email with info or does it require you to go to a browser, control or other file to see data. I prefer a complete email so I can take care of communications from my IPhone. From what I read I think it only lets you know you have a contact.

Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

I understand what you're saying McG, but let me bring up one particular scenario that just happened here. Adobe within the last month or so, in releasing an update to FLASH disrupted MANY peoples sites (not just CC produced work). CC's (and other companies) response was to say "We aren't fixing it, our stuff is NOT BROKE!" and this was true. Adobe had broken MANY sites, and NEEDED to FIX what they had broke. Had CC (or any of the others) decided to just buck up and rewrite their code in an attempt to fix things (if it were even possible from their ends), it would have proven to be a complete waste of manpower and compute cycles. Adobe (fortunately) heard the end users complaints and did admit to having caused the problem, it took some time, but they did ultimately fix it (and apparently retained the upgrade features as well ;) ).

While it may not be what we, as consumers WANT to hear, sometimes it's the cold hard truth. There are times (and God knows I've encountered them myself) when that kind of response is just thrown out there to shut the complainer up ;)

I'll leave the rest in Jo Ann's capable hands, before I get the ol' cast iron greeting yet again :D
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Sometimes, it's just hard to give anything but the generic response without full access to the site and the problem.

Sometimes the standard, generic, response is the best explanation. I used to sell testing software that I developed. It would drive me crazy whenever someone would contact me stating a function wouldn't print on their particular system setup. So many variables involved. :mad: The best was when contacted that the software triggered the antivirus and they swore I was out to steal their firstborn child. :rolleyes:
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

I'm a little confused So have you actually purchased & used the new HTML version?

Yes – I got the special deal so I'd get the full FB as soon as it came out. I've put one form on an SDrive account, but I've also been using it on a non-SDrive site (Linux/PHP) to test/learn all the features. I like being able to buy the software out-right and use it how I wish. Most of the 'easy' form programs I've found require subscriptions/monthly fees and the form is processed through the host company.

As with other new CC products, there will no doubt be tweaks, changes, additions, etc. as feedback comes in from users.

Jo Ann – Thanks for the step by step instructions... Much clearer than the official how-to! :D
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

$39 Many people smoke that away in a couple of days, or on junk food. Do yourself a favour and get it. Keeps CC hacking away at additional upgrades.
I think it is great, easy to use and creates nice looking forms. Anyone with a bit of PHP knowledge can chuck a form together but a nice form takes yonks.

I have actually got time now to spend here instead of site building, That thanks to VSD.
The Guy from OZ

User 500092 Photo

42 posts

Phil I understand & in that scenario wouldn't have blamed CC for not fixing the problem unless after a reasonable amount of time they realized Adobe wasn't going to change or fix what broke third party software.

I loose all trust in anyone that just gives a easy-out response for any issue though rather than ask for more detail or just admit they don't have the knowledge to give a real answer. I know it is a strict way of thinking but it is my way since I am a perfectionist that is never really satisfied with status-qua & could over-complicate the simplest of task as my wife & friends tell me daily.

I guess I'm not the average consumer but I also buck most every system most people follow & always have.

Tom you also make sense & seeing as I use remote access software (amazes & scares them at the same time) to help friends out I understand what you are saying all too well. Especially when I have to tell them the utilities they thought would help their systems was actually causing problems.

I like to learn & get bored easily if not challenged which is why I have so many Hobbies I guess. Many of you here seem very helpful & knowledgeable especially JoAnn

User 500092 Photo

42 posts

paintbrush wrote:

Yes – I got the special deal so I'd get the full FB as soon as it came out. I've put one form on an SDrive account, but I've also been using it on a non-SDrive site (Linux/PHP) to test/learn all the features. I like being able to buy the software out-right and use it how I wish. Most of the 'easy' form programs I've found require subscriptions/monthly fees and the form is processed through the host company.

As with other new CC products, there will no doubt be tweaks, changes, additions, etc. as feedback comes in from users. :D

Thanks for the clarification

Sidney Prizeman wrote:
$39 Many people smoke that away in a couple of days, or on junk food. Do yourself a favour and get it. Keeps CC hacking away at additional upgrades.
I think it is great, easy to use and creates nice looking forms. Anyone with a bit of PHP knowledge can chuck a form together but a nice form takes yonks.

I have actually got time now to spend here instead of site building, That thanks to VSD.

:lol: I don't Smoke, do Drugs, or Drink & thanks to my wife I eat very Healthy according to my doctor.

And yes I agree $39.00 isn't a ton of money & I spend more than that on my boat one day out but I am known to be a person that will spend money on nice things as long as I see the benefit. This is my real reason for this thread I don't dislike CC. I am looking for good reasons to add to what has already been spent on CC programs which isn't a small amount considering I am not a pro & just use them on my own sites.

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

You're quite welcome guys, I'm glad it worked out, I typed it as I learned it actually lol, and if this old brain can do it, anyone can HAHA! It's that easy to do though.

Good luck McG and anyone else looking to work with this new program. :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.