Where is the project folder? - Post...

User 315488 Photo

90 posts

For the life of me, I can not figure out where the project folder is. I don't seem to be able to define it anywhere. I'm trying to add a logo and I get this antiquated dialog box that gives me no options to select my project directory, just this box that has a folder icon with a /(project folder) label. There is also a socialicons folder that appears to have icons in it, but I have no idea where it's located.

I can create a folder, remove a folder, Add Folder, etc. but no indication of where the folders or project files are located.
I should be able to create my own project folder and use that anywhere on my drives that I want.

How do I find the project folder and add files and/or subfolders?

I'm really confused. I tried Create a Folder and created an images folder, but there are no images in it. I click on Add a folder and then I can browse to a folder that is already there where the .rsd file is and now it shows up. What is up with this?
I guess I just don't understand how a project folder works.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

There is no project folder Ron. You have a project file (ends in .rsd). Responsive Site Designer works differently then our HTML Editor. All that is handled right through RSD itself. You can add files, folders, create folders and more right under the Resources located off the main toolbar. Just add your resources that you want to include and that brings those files into the project file.

Once you do all that, when you export your website, those files/folders will be generated for you in the exported website directory structure.

If you later want to make changes (add or delete) just click Resources and you can make your modifications.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 315488 Photo

90 posts

Ah... I think I understand better. Just to make sure though, here is what I understand:
There isn't an actual project file, but RSD keeps track of all your resources that you add. You can add files / folders from anywhere, they don't have to be all together in a project folder, and RSD will keep track of where they are.
When exporting, all the files / folders are exported to the chosen location for the export, leaving the originals wherever they were. So after exporting, you essentially have a copy of all the files being tracked in your resources.

Is that correct?

If so, then if you edit a file (outside of RSD) that's in the resources, and export again, will those changes be in the export folder?

Thanks
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,190 posts
Online Now

No, You have to delete it and readd it.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 463248 Photo

18 posts

If you take a copy of your RSD file and change the extension to zip, you can open it in Windows Explorer and have a nose around at the contents. Your images etc reside in a folder called "resources" within the rsd file itself. This seems like a neat solution to me - everything is inside the project file and nothing that is required can get accidentally lost or moved. The downside is that if you change an image or whatever, as Scott and Eric, say you have to manually bring it back into the rsd file.
User 315488 Photo

90 posts

Thanks to all for your great responses and insight. That's a nice solution, but the downside of having to import changes back in is a bit of a pain.

Thanks,

Ron
User 3158926 Photo

5 posts

One can sense the enormous effort expended over 27 years to update VSD->SD->RSD. Good work, but the plethora of commentors and terminology changes over time drives me nuts!
As an engineer, I want a series of project files in separate folders that can be easily updated as changes are made to code or resources. Your RSD system may work, but the changes need to be archived and time stamped.
For example, "MyProject-2023.10.20A". Can do?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

When you start a project in SD, you give it some name, and when you save it, the program adds the date and time. But next time you open the project and save it after some more work, the date and time from last time will be overwritten with the new saving time. If you want to keep the versions separate, you need to either give the file name a letter or number (like 'myproject-2'), or save it in a separate folder.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

George Hebbard wrote:
... I want a series of project files in separate folders that can be easily updated as changes are made to code or resources ...

I rather like the idea of saving with an incrementing suffix, and often do it manually with 'Save As ...' (Ctrl+Shift+s). Doing it with Ctrl+s doesn't seem appropriate for this. I wonder whether something like the following could work and be helpful.

1. When one uses 'Save As ...' (Ctrl+Shift+s) one is presented with a blank space in which to enter the name. Instead one could be presented with a suggested name.
2. There could be a readily identifiable form for automatic suffixes, such as '--ccxx' where the 'xx' part is a number.
3. When one goes to 'Save As ...' (Ctrl+Shift+s), the program could check whether the current project name ended with such a special suffix and,
(a) if it didn't find one, it could put as a suggested name the current project file name plus '--cc01''
(b) if it did find one, it could put as a suggested name the current project file name but with the special suffix incremented by 1.

Because I often do a number of such incremental saves within a fairly short space of time I prefer just an incremented number rather than a full date and time stamp. One can already see (at least in Windows) the date and time of saving a file.

Others may have better ideas, or find snags in the above (for example, I don't know whether it would be workable with the MacOS). It may be that if various ideas are forthcoming we could put something in the Site Designer Suggestions section.

Frank

User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,190 posts
Online Now

I always save as v1 then v1.1 and so on as I'm working on sites.
I wouldn't want SD to automatically create a number unless it could be an option to turn on and off.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.