Update subscription renewal - Post ID...

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

I'm not sure whether this matter had been made clear. If it has, I would appreciate a link to the relevant clarification. If it hasn't, perhaps answers can be posted here. I have used for example my renewal date of 3 July 2020.

1. How far ahead of the subscription renewal date (as shown by Actions > Preferences...) can one renew or extend the subscription please?

2. How does one go about renewing or extending the subscription please?

3. What happens if one misses renewing by the renewal date but later decides to subscribe again please? Such a situation seems tricky as
(a) one has already bought the program, and so it would seem inappropriate to have to repurchase;
(b) one will have operated during the failure-to-renew period without the benefit of updates, and so
(i) it would seem inappropriate to charge a full-year renewal subscription just for the period to 3 July 2021, but
(ii) it would seem an incentive to defer renewal if on, say, 3 June 2021 one were given renewal to 3 June 2022 for simply a normal annual subscription charge.

Frank
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

The way I have understood it, is that any update you have downloaded before the expiration date, will be yours forever and also working forever (unless there is some change in the OS that makes it impossible, of course)

After the expiration date, the first update you want to download will trigger some kind of request for the update cost. If you then pay the cost and download the update, you will have a new expiry date, one year after you bought the update.

You may have more than one app with a similar subscription, and the expiry dates will possibly be different, depending on when you bought them, or when the subscription started for each app.

As I said, this is how I understand the 'law'. I will try to get someone from the staff 'dragged over here' and make a comment. ;)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Thanks, Inger.

I started thinking about this because I had in mind extending the expiry date by two years' worth of subscription, thus giving CoffeeCup the advantage of earlier cash, and me the insurance against price increase in the second year.

Frank
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

So far I haven't got hold of anyone of the CC staffers. Maybe Ascension day is a bank holiday around...

But thinking a bit more through this, I guess the 2nd paragraph I wrote above should rather be something like this:

"If you download and install an update after your subscription has expired, the programme will as usual check against your license details in Actions -> Preferences if they are still valid. If they are not, you get a gap (limited to x days) in which you can extend the license. If you don't do anything within that time span, the programme will not boot (I think Wayan had such a problem a while back when he was without internet), and you need to go back to the last version you have a valid license for. However, if you then pay for the update, you will have a new expiry date, one year after you bought the update."

Again, this is only the way I THINK it is.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Thanks Inger.

I'm relieved to find that I'm not the only one who is uncertain about this. Presumably the CoffeeCup team will make the matter absolutely clear well before July.

Frank
User 2614236 Photo

141 posts

I just noticed my Form Designer is due for renewal in 12 days. Warning came up when I opened the program. I do feel as loyal customers there should be an upgrade price and not the full whack for a program. This basically means you are on a subscription if you want to keep up to date.
I will not be updating Form Designer, but this is because I feel it isn't worth it. Too much having to go back and forth between Web Builder and Form Designer to get a nice form with a working script. Even Web builder is kicking up errors with PHP 7.2 so needs updated.
I just feel Web Builder/Form Designer should be the one program or even better the whole lot built into site designer.

Interested in others views on this matter
Tony
User 2906089 Photo

222 posts

To all,

There is an adjusted price for renewing support for another year. It's 75% of the retail price. At least that is what I paid the last time.

It would probably be best if anyone with concerns open a support ticket with your concerns.
Learn something, Share something.
User 2614236 Photo

141 posts

At present if you press the go to products page after getting and expiry notice it doesn't take you to a page where you pay to extend the licence. It just goes to your download page. I am waiting for my software to expire to see what happens but there is no way I will be paying the full price for the same product again. I certainly don't think that is the way you keep loyal customers. There has to be an extension fee cheaper than full price or Coffee Cup will certainly lose customers. Bearing in mind customers probably have more than one product it would be sheer folly not to offer at an extension rate which is less than full price.
Tony
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Here is an article about the licensing and the renewal of subscription for updates:
https://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles … ng-policy/
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2614236 Photo

141 posts

Thanks Inger.

I'll see if I get the 70% offer by checking against the full price at the time. Keen to keep site designer up to date but Form Designer will be getting ditched. It really isn't that expensive but without backend scripts it is just as easy to code my own forms and too cumbersome going from web builder to form designer. That just isn't efficient at all
Tony

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.