Training Materials - Post ID 254610

User 2793720 Photo

66 posts

Just wanted to say that the email with the link to this "tutorial" (http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … tutorials/ - VISIONS website - or at least home page) was fantastic! It showed me an alternative workflow which has opened up my possibilities tremendously. I have been thinking very much in the device oriented way right from the outset where this tutorial comes at it from a design then tweak to suite alternative resolutions afterwards.

The only thing I would suggest is it would definitely benefit from voice over and one continuous video. Great effort, amazing photo for the main banner but surely I wasn't the only one thinking that was a prime candidate for a responsive slider! (well done for restraining yourself!)

Steve
User 232214 Photo

COO
827 posts

Steve Sharkey wrote:
Just wanted to say that the email with the link to this "tutorial" (http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … tutorials/ - VISIONS website - or at least home page) was fantastic! It showed me an alternative workflow which has opened up my possibilities tremendously. I have been thinking very much in the device oriented way right from the outset where this tutorial comes at it from a design then tweak to suite alternative resolutions afterwards.

That's great to hear Steve. And yes, please never target devices, with so many different sizes out there it's a losing battle. RSD makes it easy to focus on the content, then design, and finally tweaking for optimal experiences across all display dimension. :cool:

Steve Sharkey wrote:
The only thing I would suggest is it would definitely benefit from voice over and one continuous video.

We're a bit shy here....:P

Steve Sharkey wrote:
Great effort, amazing photo for the main banner but surely I wasn't the only one thinking that was a prime candidate for a responsive slider! (well done for restraining yourself!)

Yes, I plan to do a follow up where I add more snazz to the page, add a few more pages and eventually give a sneak peek into a few BIG things coming up for RSD (and our other responsive apps)!
The future of web layout has arrived and it's called CSS Grid. CoffeeCup helps you to get ready with a free guide, the Grid Builder app plus cool demos & themes.
User 633384 Photo

5 posts

Yea,
I think it is great that this guy took the time to do this. However, it is usually the case that the user has to resort to figuring out things and putting their efforts online.
I really like the idea of the RSD. I have been a user of the CC HTML for many years coding my own sites. This is why I was eager to download a trial of the RSD. I hate to say, but I was overwhelmed by a new interface that quite frankly was out of my league.
I then looked all over CC website trying to find a simple step by step manual / tutorial that would show how to set up a beginner site to something much more elaborate. I couldn't find. I did find some pages that "talked about" the interface and what it could do, but I need some real life how to. I don't mean to be critical, but since I work in the tech industry, I often read manuals that talk about this or that button or command, but they never tell you how to use the command. So, CC, if you have such a users manual or tutorial on HOW to do it for real, please send me a link as I have a lot of re designing to do to update my old website. One of the very first problems I ran into is how to make a 5 column table as I have a "Gallery" of images over 120 to be exact, and I do prefer the 5 column look and I could not for the life of me figure out. It is like the interface forced me to do it a certain way. I love the product, and I know that CC put a lot of time and dev into it, but I need more hands on. Once I can see HOW to do, then I am off and running. Send me a link to a tutorial that CC put together on a typical web page. CC should have done something like this guy did. Except with different scenarios.

Sincerely
D. Driskell
Ships of Scale
User 399746 Photo

Sales & Support Manager
416 posts

Donnie Driskell wrote:
Yea,
I think it is great that this guy took the time to do this. However, it is usually the case that the user has to resort to figuring out things and putting their efforts online.
I really like the idea of the RSD. I have been a user of the CC HTML for many years coding my own sites. This is why I was eager to download a trial of the RSD. I hate to say, but I was overwhelmed by a new interface that quite frankly was out of my league.
I then looked all over CC website trying to find a simple step by step manual / tutorial that would show how to set up a beginner site to something much more elaborate. I couldn't find. I did find some pages that "talked about" the interface and what it could do, but I need some real life how to. I don't mean to be critical, but since I work in the tech industry, I often read manuals that talk about this or that button or command, but they never tell you how to use the command. So, CC, if you have such a users manual or tutorial on HOW to do it for real, please send me a link as I have a lot of re designing to do to update my old website. One of the very first problems I ran into is how to make a 5 column table as I have a "Gallery" of images over 120 to be exact, and I do prefer the 5 column look and I could not for the life of me figure out. It is like the interface forced me to do it a certain way. I love the product, and I know that CC put a lot of time and dev into it, but I need more hands on. Once I can see HOW to do, then I am off and running. Send me a link to a tutorial that CC put together on a typical web page. CC should have done something like this guy did. Except with different scenarios.

Sincerely
D. Driskell
Ships of Scale

Hey Donnie,

Understanding the basic techniques and concepts will help you master RSD much faster. We have some great material to help you get started. The manual is highly recommended as the starting point as it explains how the tools and sections work. Knowing your way around the app will make it easier to understand the help tutorials. Check out the RSD Help Manual at: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … -overview/

A cool video tutorial article is a great place to jump in. It breaks down the design of a complete responsive page into 5 steps. These instructional videos can be found at: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/1449

We also have a series of step-by-step articles that walks you through creating a full page, responsive site. This is great for getting hands on practicing using the controls. It consists of 4 in-depth articles. Reading these from start to finish will give you the foundation you need to be successful with this app.

Step 1: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/1430
Step 2: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/1435
Step 3: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/1436
Step 4: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/1437

Hope this helps. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach our to our support team who will be happy to help. :)
Learn the essentials with these tips on Site Designer. You'll be making epic, code-free responsive sites like a boss.
User 232214 Photo

COO
827 posts

Donnie Driskell wrote:
One of the very first problems I ran into is how to make a 5 column table as I have a "Gallery" of images over 120 to be exact, and I do prefer the 5 column look and I could not for the life of me figure out. I

Hey Donny,
To use 5 columns for a gallery you have a few options. If you would like your entire layout to have that structure go to the Layout pane and configure the grid to have 5, 10, or 20 columns (anything divisible by 5 works). Assuming you choose a 20 column structure (I would for more precise control :P), simply go to the manage section of the Layout pane and set the span-width of each column to 4, allowing you to have 5 columns of the exact same width (span width 4) in each row.

Alternatively you can choose a single and make it span the entire row (span width 12 in the default 12 column grid) and drop a container from the Elements pane. Double-click the container to go to the Design pane and in the dimensions section set the width to 20%. Duplicate the container until you have a total of 5!

Hope this helps :)
The future of web layout has arrived and it's called CSS Grid. CoffeeCup helps you to get ready with a free guide, the Grid Builder app plus cool demos & themes.
User 633384 Photo

5 posts

Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback !

Donnie

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.