Themes from earlier versions of Site...

User 345577 Photo

373 posts

I'm an old coffee drinker from the early days of the CC Html Editor, and have periodically purchased upgrades on nearly all of my products since then. Unfortunately, I was baffled and intimidated by the new way of creating web pages, and rarely installed let alone learned to use any of this newfangled responsive stuff that's ostensibly so much easier to use than the old code-it-yourself tools. And what's left of my sites suffer for it, with abandoned features neutered by the retirement of Flash and swf technology, my guestbook script being overrun by spammers, etc. They're all hopelessly outdated and broken. And I just cant let it continue.

So, I bit the bullet and installed SD 5 the other day. I've tried that with one or two of the previous versions, but wound up just staring at the screen wondering 'Now what?' Attempts to watch CC youtube video tutorials and paging through the online manuals didn't seem to help.

I'm not crying out HELLLLLP!!! yet, though. I've managed to work through the tutorial where the Visions site is created from scratch, and have been able to get a bit of the feel of using the software, at least at an elemental level. I think I'm on the way to converting, and subsequently redesigning my sites, even though there are many hours of work (and some head-scratching) ahead. Part of my problem is, I don't really like many of the websites that I visit these days. I'm not fond of the concept of using templates -- it seems like the all look alike to me.

Now, if I could find one that is conceptually similar to what I have, and all I had to do was plug in my own pictures and texts, that'd be cool. I'm just not seeing something that makes me take notice.

Sorry for the long build-up, but here is the question.

Going back to the earlier versions, when it used to be called Responsive Site Designer, I've always taken away of downloading free themes and templates that were made available by CC, despite the fact that I never tried to use any of them to build a site. Are these older themes/templates usable in SD 5, or are they incompatible and just taking up space on my hard drive and an old USB stick? Is there a cutoff date or version number beyond which these older things can no longer be used?

Thanks for any input you may have...
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

The new Site Designer V5 can do previous versions of Site Designer I am not sure if it can do Responsive Site Designer (which was the pre-Stite Designer app, confused?? because they both have the .rsd extension)

Now, if I could find one that is conceptually similar to what I have, and all I had to do was plug in my own pictures and texts, that'd be cool. I'm just not seeing something that makes me take notice.

Can you let me see what you have in mind? or do you have a schematic image or something, I have made many templates for many different types of website, I may have something that gets close.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

You'll be in safe hands with Wayan helping you. However, if you want to try managing on your own, you should look at the bottom of the https://themes.coffeecup.com/, below the banner going across, reading 'Build your website faster with the new Components library'. There you will find some older templates which are not quite as 'newfangled' as the recent ones.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 345577 Photo

373 posts

Wayan and Inger, thanks very much for your quick responses. Although I've not been active in some years, I've occasionally looked through the forum as I was tempted to try to give this thing a try, and I've seen many, many of both of your posts. You're both very helpful to the community and are wonderful assets to have available.

My most immediate need is to replace the landing page of this site: https://www.morgus.com This page is basically used to provide the 'Latest News' to fans of my subject's old television program. I've been cobbling together these periodic updates with the old CC Visual Site Designer, which was retired years ago! I'm working at redoing this one to look basically like that, but to be responsive. Yesterday, I was able to make a reasonable duplicate of the the old DVD order page with SD5 -- my first attempt at using it. I could send you a link to it via email, but don't want it posted here because, who knows? Somebody might try to order, and I'm sold out!

The rest of the old site is hopelessly out-of-date. Tables, Flash video -- all that stuff that used to be cool, but now is non-functional.

Again, I think I'm on the right track on my own, but would certainly welcome any suggestions that you'd care to offer!

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Cur Mugeon wrote:
Wayan and Inger, thanks very much for your quick responses. Although I've not been active in some years, I've occasionally looked through the forum as I was tempted to try to give this thing a try, and I've seen many, many of both of your posts. You're both very helpful to the community and are wonderful assets to have available.

My most immediate need is to replace the landing page of this site: https://www.morgus.com This page is basically used to provide the 'Latest News' to fans of my subject's old television program. I've been cobbling together these periodic updates with the old CC Visual Site Designer, which was retired years ago! I'm working at redoing this one to look basically like that, but to be responsive. Yesterday, I was able to make a reasonable duplicate of the the old DVD order page with SD5 -- my first attempt at using it. I could send you a link to it via email, but don't want it posted here because, who knows? Somebody might try to order, and I'm sold out!

The rest of the old site is hopelessly out-of-date. Tables, Flash video -- all that stuff that used to be cool, but now is non-functional.

Again, I think I'm on the right track on my own, but would certainly welcome any suggestions that you'd care to offer!

My email details are in the signature section
down here
▼▼▼▼▼
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 345577 Photo

373 posts

Inger wrote:
However, if you want to try managing on your own, you should look at the bottom of the https://themes.coffeecup.com/ below the banner going across, reading 'Build your website faster with the new Components library'.

I didn't notice this yesterday, Inger. But this is an invalid/dead link. I do have a number of themes from my most recent purchase that I've not even downloaded yet, though. Easy enough to find those in my account.

Now to learn to use all this stuff!
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

The link had become invalid because I had put a comma after it, and the comma had been 'sucked' into the link.

I have removed that comma now.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 345577 Photo

373 posts

Ah, I usually catch things like that, but must not have gotten enough sleep last night! Thanks for the correction!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.