Special Characters / HTML Entities -...

User 2906089 Photo

222 posts

Another way around this would be to use Font-Awesome. I found two different copyright icons in the free version. To make this work I will have to add a line in the <head> section and then use the name of the icon wrapped in old italics tag. Example: <i class="far fa-copyright fa-5x"></i> Creates a big copyright symbol.

Now I just need to figure out a quicker way to implement this idea. Using CC html editor I would add the script to the default template. Is there a way to do this in SD? Would I have to create my own theme with the modified header or would I just modify a current template?

It's funny how a simple questions goes so quickly down a big rabbit hole!
Learn something, Share something.
User 2906089 Photo

222 posts

Wayan,

I'm missing something. I see a copyright symbol in unicode is U+00A9 or the html code &#169; or an escape code \u00A9. Which one are you using? I can't seem to get any of them to work in the text. Just how are you pasting these?
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts

Bosco wrote:
Wayan,

I'm missing something. I see a copyright symbol in unicode is U+00A9 or the html code &#169; or an escape code \u00A9. Which one are you using? I can't seem to get any of them to work in the text. Just how are you pasting these?

I have put a file into my resources (named =special characters)
in that file is a list of all the characters using the keyboard for window (don't have Mac)
This list includes both the code copyright = alt +0169 and the special character this would display.
I then simply highlight the character (not the code) copy & paste it into the text wherever I want it to go.
I would make a short video to show the process but am having trouble with the video editor at the moment, I am working on it so I can show people , maybe another hour or so
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2906089 Photo

222 posts

I see now. Thanks for the clarification.
User 2885740 Photo

60 posts

In addition to Eric I would like to contribute, that you can do it also in plain Javascript.
Here are two variations that do the same:

<script>
document.querySelector('#myName').innerHTML = `&copy; 2017 - ${new Date().getFullYear()} My Name`;
</script>

<script>
document.querySelector('#yourName').innerHTML = '&copy; 2017 - ' + new Date().getFullYear() + ' Your Name';
</script>
User 2906089 Photo

222 posts

Many moons ago there was a professor of mine that would always say, "If you are paid by character, do it the long way, but the rest of us in the real world just want to get it over with using the least amount of work". Always made me laugh inside. I've shared this as a joke, not commentary of the current thread. :-) Thanks everyone.
User 2906089 Photo

222 posts

The next thing I've come up with is to use Material Design Icons. https://google.github.io/material-design-icons/ . Just add an external css link to the <head> section and use a class name in a span and insert the icon you want.

I also found out that the method that Wayan described is how Suzanne does it. So that could be considered the CoffeeCup way.
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

The Styles > Design > Typography section for Container elements includes the same settings as those for paragraphs etc. except the font-family and font-weight.

I'm curious about the technical reason why SD doesn't have
(a) the font-family and font-weight settings included in the Typography section for Containers, given that all the other typography settings are there the same as those for paragraphs etc.;
(b) all the same settings as those for paragraphs etc. in the Typography section for HTML elements.

I think item (b) above would make 'Edit in Dialog' a brilliant text editor for those familiar with HTML. One can set font-family etc. inside the code, but it seems that the setting is reflected in the Live Preview only during the current session. Closing and reopening SD loses the Live Preview font-family etc. view until one kicks it back into life by accessing the element.

Item (a) above would apply to all elements in the container unless those elements had different settings for typography, which would be useful for those using a lot of text.

Frank

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Frank Cook wrote:
The Styles > Design > Typography section for Container elements includes the same settings as those for paragraphs etc. except the font-family and font-weight.

I'm curious about the technical reason why SD doesn't have
(a) the font-family and font-weight settings included in the Typography section for Containers, given that all the other typography settings are there the same as those for paragraphs etc.;
(b) all the same settings as those for paragraphs etc. in the Typography section for HTML elements.

I think item (b) above would make 'Edit in Dialog' a brilliant text editor for those familiar with HTML. One can set font-family etc. inside the code, but it seems that the setting is reflected in the Live Preview only during the current session. Closing and reopening SD loses the Live Preview font-family etc. view until one kicks it back into life by accessing the element.

Item (a) above would apply to all elements in the container unless those elements had different settings for typography, which would be useful for those using a lot of text.

Frank

I actually asked about this some days ago, and the answer I got was that they had tried to add font-family, font-weight and line-height to the typography available for the body, but it was the frameworks that made it impossible because they usually added some other font to various elements anyway. But this was quite a while ago, so they are thinking of trying again.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Inger wrote:
... it was the frameworks that made it impossible because they usually added some other font to various elements anyway.

Thanks for that, Inger. Perhaps they could do it for my favourite, Vanilla.

Frank

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.