Rows, Columns and BS Formatting -...

User 2906089 Photo

222 posts

I started using Site Designer when V3 was still in beta. I would often see people talking about it in the forums, but I never understood what people were talking about.

I've just started a project using a php framework and I'm seeing a lot of strange css that I can attribute to Bootstrap. MR, ML PL etc, all shortcuts to working with padding and margins. Then I see in SD the layout options to use frameworks layout resulting in this style, <div class="container-grid col col-12 col-sm-4 col-md-4 col-lg-4 col-xl-4"></div>. Isn't this what we are getting away from, or was the rows and column a CoffeCup thing?

I also noticed that Bootstrap has a new version coming out that has eliminated the reliance on JQuery. It appears that people are trying to move on from JS frameworks. Should we be doing the same?
Learn something, Share something.
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

It isn't clear to me that
1. moving away from third-party Javascript libraries (like JQuery and Prototype) means moving away from Javascript itself;
2. that the concept of rows and columns is what we are getting away from, given that CSS Grid involves rows and columns.

Perhaps more evidence can be provided to support the suggestions made.

Frank
User 2699991 Photo

4,801 posts
Online Now

Bosco wrote:
I see in SD the layout options to use frameworks layout resulting in this style, <div class="container-grid col col-12 col-sm-4 col-md-4 col-lg-4 col-xl-4"></div>. Isn't this what we are getting away from, or was the rows and column a CoffeCup thing?

They are great I use them all the time now
no need for flexing and all that gubbins, just adjust the column spans at break points if desired (of course one can still flex any element container inside, so sort of best of both worlds)
Of course it's totally an option, you don't have to worry as to the why, or use them if you don't want.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2885740 Photo

60 posts

The structure of rows and columns in Bootstrap and Co. is an offer you can use. But you are nor forced to. As alternatives you have you standard CSS and the Grid. Bob Visser once wrote an article about this issue (link below).

There is a tendensy to move away from jQuery back to Javascript since the combination with HTML5 made Manupulating the DOM easier.
The Framework Materialize already does not use jQuery and Bootrap will follow soon.
I can imagine that Coffeeshop also has rethink the use of jQuery when these newer frameworks are used.
The extra layer on top of Javascript, that jQuery is, is mostly not needed.
Things you used to do in jQuery, nowadays can easily be done with JS.
That is btw the reason why I gave a javascript example as counterpart to the given jQuery-example in you question "Special Characters and HTML-Entities".

René

https://www.coffeecup.com/forums/site-d … -entities/
https://medium.com/@weldebob/moving-fro … db0ec0e096

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.