Menu builder and RSD - Post ID 251321

User 2704094 Photo

6 posts

Hi guys,
I am starting a new project with RSD and have a question about using menu builder with RSD and RLM. Using RLM you would export the site into the HTML editor and then add the menu you built with menu builder. Using RSD can I have the menu in RSD as I am building the site and see it, if so how would I do this? or do I still have to export it first into a code editor and then add it.
Regards Tim
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Hey Tim,

Using RSD can I have the menu in RSD as I am building the site and see it, if so how would I do this?

You can add it directly to RSD using the HTML Element. Add this element where you want the menu to appear and add the head data under the Settings pane. At this time you can not see it in the program, that is a feature that will be added later down the line. :)

or do I still have to export it first into a code editor and then add it.

You no longer need to export to a code editor as RSD is an all in one!
User 795047 Photo

15 posts

This is really easy to do in RSD but you have to go to preview to see the results. After exporting the menu from menu builder, copy the header data into the header section in RSD under "settings". Put an html container where you want the menu and copy & paste the html from the exported menu into that. Then if you need any of the images copy them into your image file (or make a new one).
I found this much easier than opening HTML Editor and pasting. You then need to put the menu files on your server as before. Would be good if it was all integrated but not too much of a problem as it is.
User 2660090 Photo

89 posts

Also, you may need to make changes to the CSS files in order to get your menu how you desire. I used to make the changes directly to the CSS files and then upload them. However, I think the best method is to keep the generated files as they are, and use a custom CSS file (call it changes.css) to target specific selectors. Make sure this changes.css file gets priority by putting it at the bottom of the <head></head> section. I always find myself in Chrome playing around with the developer tools and then making a note of the CSS changes that need to be made.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.