Is there a way to automate navigation...

User 3071733 Photo

3 posts

Hi there! I just got CoffeeCup and have been studying for the last 2 days. Web development has come a long way since I wrote my first html website in notepad over 20 years ago! I know I will get the hang of this soon.

I am wondering if there is a way to automate navigation menu creation?
I am working on a website that is 50 or so pages, mostly text on most of the pages, and some of them are quite long. I am going to start with desktop size formatting.

I know that once I have my nav bar set up I can make it a symbol and use it on all of the pages, so that is a good thing :) But I am wondering if there is something that will take all of my pages and create the nav bar for me with the links all done up in a nice always on vertical format? I'm sure I can do it by hand one button at a time, but why struggle if there is an easier way?

I like the desktop size menu in the FLUX theme, but I may have too many pages to have the menu not scroll at all.
The vertical nav bar in the component shop is no fun to open each time, which is why I want always open.
Since I don't know Bootstrap from Foundation from Materialize I guess it doesn't matter which I choose if it does what I want?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Helene
HeleneJacobs.com
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Helene wrote:
Hi there! I just got CoffeeCup and have been studying for the last 2 days. Web development has come a long way since I wrote my first html website in notepad over 20 years ago! I know I will get the hang of this soon.

I am wondering if there is a way to automate navigation menu creation?
I am working on a website that is 50 or so pages, mostly text on most of the pages, and some of them are quite long. I am going to start with desktop size formatting.

I know that once I have my nav bar set up I can make it a symbol and use it on all of the pages, so that is a good thing :) But I am wondering if there is something that will take all of my pages and create the nav bar for me with the links all done up in a nice always on vertical format? I'm sure I can do it by hand one button at a time, but why struggle if there is an easier way?

I like the desktop size menu in the FLUX theme, but I may have too many pages to have the menu not scroll at all.
The vertical nav bar in the component shop is no fun to open each time, which is why I want always open.
Since I don't know Bootstrap from Foundation from Materialize I guess it doesn't matter which I choose if it does what I want?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Unfortunately there isn't a way by just using site designer, it would need some custom JavaScript inserting.

Foundation would probably be your best choice for framework as there are more people on the forum that use the framework and are capable of helping. As to designing desktop first that is not the best way to do it, it can be done that way but it entails a lot more work later and increases the chances of errors occuring. By making the menu a symbol it only needs doing the one time, then is a simple matter of inserting the symbol on every page that you add, same rule applies for the footer also.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Inger's book navigation component is not a direct solution to what was requested, but studying the technique used may help regarding pagination links. It's at https://mock-up.coffeecup.com/va-comps/va-book-nav.html .

I have used a different technique for pagination links in the utilitarian (but not pretty) website at https://www.clparker.com/ . Each book has a separate SD project file, and, if it may be useful, I can provide links to one or more of those project files.

Frank
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Hi Helene,

The only 'framework' that has a built-in desktop-down solution is the so-called 'frameworkless'. Frank has already recommended the book navigation on my site. There are also other options. I have several other menus on my site, take a look at https://mock-up.coffeecup.com/ The Frameworkless is called Bare-Bone. If you look at the 'Vertical nav', the actual menu list is hidden when not clicked on, but it can also be made visible all the time.
I have the Vertical Nav for the other frameworks too, but that will then be for 'mobile-up'.

Inger
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Hello again
There are also a couple of things you need to be aware of, regardless of which framework you use.
50 or so pages, is going to make Site Designer very sluggish,

I have done one today with 50 pages as a template it has a mega menu that comes into view when the menu icon is clicked at ALL WIDTHS. There are only a few images at the moment with text on each page and it has become frustratingly slow

It is impossible to have a menu vertically open for that many links without scrolling especially at mobile device widths well not impossible but
a/ It will not be regarded as a good user experience, especially if the link text is small (google recommend a minimum of 16px and space between (top / bottom left / right) so that users can't hit the wrong link by mistake with those large fingers.
b/ Users expectations have also changed and they now expect more & more from a website
c/ Even at desktop it would take up too much room above the fold so to speak which would again have an adverse effect on the site.

You have less than a second for visitors to get a first impression and decide if the site is going to be a good one, you then have a few more seconds for them to decide if the site actually has something that they are interested in, I would almost guarantee that faced with a huge menu with all those choices, isn't going to cut it with your average visitor.

Google now index websites "MOBILE FIRST / MOBILE FRIENDLY" if your site doesn't meet their requirements it is highly likely that it won't be listed on the search Engine Results Page.

The site I created today uses the FOUNDATION framework, it took around 2 hours to do the navigation. links and all, so to be honest although not an automatic navigation creation, the amount of time isn't that out of the way.

Anyway you now have a few options fo at least get something.
I don't do ready made components for people, but I do Watch Listen & Learn Tutorials, if you would like to see what I dis then drop me a line & I will give the link to the demonstration video.

Good luc whatever / whichever way you decide.

Wauan

Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2273654 Photo

754 posts

What about making a site map the navigation menu?
My CC S-drive site https://workhorsepainting.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.