Images loading as Grey Folders - Post...

User 63917 Photo

12 posts

Hi there, when I upload images into my project resources sometimes they show a thumbnail of the image but sometimes there's just a grey folder icon. They are all .png files.
Can anyone tell my why this is happening and how to fix it so I can see the thumbnail?
thanks
Keryn
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

I don't recall seeing in these forums any previous mention of this problem, and there seem to be a number of possibilities. It may need to become the subject of a submission to 'My Support Room' along with a copy of the project file.

Before considering doing that it will probably be useful to try to establish where the problem lies. If not already done, I would be inclined to check the following regarding the offending .png files -

(a) In Windows Explorer, if the view is set to see icons (Extra large, Large, Medium-sized, or Small), do they show correctly or are they similarly greyed out? (It could be a problem with those particular .png files, or some corruption that has occurred in the Windows operating system.)
(b) If a completely new SD V3 project file is made, do they get greyed out in the Resources box of that new project file? (If it happens only in a particular project file, then some corruption is likely to have occurred to that file, and the CoffeeCup team may be able to mend it.)
(c) If another computer is available on which to test the matter, does the problem still occur there?

If the above don't reveal that the problem lies with the .png files themselves or with some corruption in the Windows OS, then the fact that these matters have been checked can be included in a report to 'My Support Room'.

Frank
User 63917 Photo

12 posts

Hi Frank, thanks for your reply.
I haven't uploaded this project to the internet yet and the images do display properly on the canvas. It just doesn't have a thumbnail image in the resources panel which is annoying because it's not as easy to identify which image to use. Some have the correct image and some have a grey folder, I'm intrigued as to why some work and some don't.
I opened a new file and the same thing happens with these particular images.
I realised that all the images that show as a grey folder were ones I used an online image optimiser to reduce file size. All the ones that display properly were not. Any thoughts?
thanks
Keryn
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

It suggests to me that the online optimiser used is not producing standard .png files. I would therefore be inclined to try a different compressor.

I use (not free) NXPowerLite Desktop 8, and compressed .png files show up fine in the SD V3 Project Resources panel.

Frank
User 63917 Photo

12 posts

Thanks Frank, I'll give that a try. :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.