hierarchical structure exporting? -...

User 41993 Photo

10 posts

Dear all
(I cannot prove to myself one way or the other on this so I'll turn to the experts)
If I have a project, P, at "Level 1" with a series of files F1, F2, ... at "Level 2", with "Level 3" files F11, F12, F21, F22, F23, F71 ..., (all files created using RSD) and, having collated F1, F2, ... with P using the project/file/resource management tools (and having previously collated F11, F12 with F1 and F21, F22, F23 with F2 etc.), how do I properly export the whole project P with all related sub-files being included in the export? Or should I have exported each of the sub-files into their own "_exported" directory and then link THAT directory to the one-level-up file, again using the project/file/resource management tools (but this time collating a directory rather than a file), so F11_exported, F12_exported ... is 'included' into F1 etc, which are then in turn exported for inclusion into P? One of the things I find confusing is the chosen nomenclature of RSD where each created file is a 'project', where 'file' would be more logical and intuitive, especially when the bottom-most hierarchy files are simply that - simple, standalone entities containing text/picture/whatever. Many thanks
User 2699991 Photo

4,805 posts
Online Now

I wish I understood a word of all that.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Alan, please do us - and yourself - the favour of creating shorter sentences. We would then better understand what your problem/question might be, and you might actually get some help.

After having read, and re-read, and re-read again your post some 5-6 times, I think I can answer. SD makes just one level projects. I have myself created a site (the second one in my signature), consisting of one 'level one' project and 5 'level two' projects, but I did it that way because I had to use all the frameworks implemented in SD. If it hadn't been for the different frameworks, I would have left it all at one level. Then if separating the files according to topic, year, geography or something would be necessary, I might have used some prefixes on the file names.

And, if the level system is important to you, you could create a 'mega-menu' to reflect all the levels you need. You will find a component for such a menu on the said website.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

Hi Alan.

You are right that getting appropriate names for such things is indeed important. I think what I say below corresponds roughly with your post's penultimate sentence.

The word 'file' is insuffient by itself. There are SD project files (.rsd files). They generate .html files and may include in their Project Resources all sorts of other files (such as image files, JavaScript files, and custom CSS files).

Every SD project file needs to generate, using the Export facility, its own website project. Where a website is to include the work of more than one SD project file, the easiest way is to export all the generated projects (_exported folders) to a single folder on one's local hard drive. One can then in that single folder make any necessary rearrangement and renaming of the _exported folders to achieve the hierarchy one wants. In Windows that would be done using File Explorer, and no doubt there are similar facilities in the Mac operating system

Once the whole website is working properly on the local hard drive, one can upload it all to one's web host.

Frank

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.