Foundation Data Tooltip - Post ID 292337

User 371172 Photo

35 posts

Can anyone point me at a tutorial or give me a head’s up on how to use Foundation Tooltip in RSD?
I’ve added the attribute ‘Data Tooltip’ to the element I want the tooltip to appear on but I can’t figure out how or where to specify the ‘title’ text. I’ve added the title text to the value part of the attribute but I’m either not formatting it correctly or that’s not the place to put it. Can anyone help?
JP
Cat herder and Fog platter.
User 2699991 Photo

4,797 posts
Online Now

The tooltip text is taken from the title of the element link you have added the tooltip to. Leave the tooltip value empty
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 371172 Photo

35 posts

Wayan Jaya Space Cadet wrote:
The tooltip text is taken from the title of the element link you have added the tooltip to. Leave the tooltip value empty

So the attribute ‘data tooltip’ can only be added to a link element. I can’t added it to any ordinary container so that hovering over that element will reveal the tooltip text?
JP
User 371172 Photo

35 posts

Should have posted this in the Site Designer Forum. I’ll repost.
JP
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts
Online Now

Hi JP,

Next time you post in the wrong subforum, instead of posting the same again in the correct forum, just ask if the post can be moved. I've just moved this one (and deleted the other one). ;)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 371172 Photo

35 posts

Inger wrote:
Hi JP,

Next time you post in the wrong subforum, instead of posting the same again in the correct forum, just ask if the post can be moved. I've just moved this one (and deleted the other one). ;)

Thanks and Sorry. I sometimes forget RSD is now SD.
JP
User 2699991 Photo

4,797 posts
Online Now

JP wrote:
Inger wrote:
Hi JP,

Thanks and Sorry. I sometimes forget RSD is now SD.

The only way I can think of for the moment is to add the title to the text (paragraph/text etc) in text editor, in the link bit (with the green box +)

make the URL href= #no-link

and the put the title in the box "title"
hit the apply button thingy

re-style the colour of whatever original text back to what you had before

this then displays a default styed tooltip (plain background, black text

if you want that to be styled, then that will require some fancy custom code doing
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2699991 Photo

4,797 posts
Online Now

Well it really looks like it cannot be done just for any elements other than ones that are links be it containers/images or text, if it has to be one the other elements then a fiddle would be to place a link container inside the outer container, set the link container to href = #no-link then add the tittle & the attribute "data tooltip'

This of course means restyling or changing the default blue coloring inside the link-container

It seems to me that tooltips are really only meant to give a little bit of guidance/information to visitors regarding link-navigation (not just menu links), & I also think that having a tooltip on any other element other than links is also not such a good idea for visitors, but then if that's what you want then far be it for me to say otherwise.

there is a video made by Zurb for foundation "Data Tooltips" here, although again it is only for elements with links, but it might help a little

https://get.foundation/sites/docs/tooltip.html

some of the things and ways to do actually don't work in SD v4 as they haven't been implemented, or the attribute required (TITLE) are reserved so one cannot place that using SDv4 especially the attributes stuff, but as I mentioned before, it may be achievable with some custom code thingies.
good luck in your endeavors
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 371172 Photo

35 posts

Thanks Wayan. I am trying to figure a way of having a label (like a tooltip) appear when you hover over or interact with an element. The tooltip probably wouldn't be a good way of doing it for a mobile device anyway because 'how do you hover' on a mobile device. I'll keep experimenting until I find a solution that suits.
JP
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

The attached simple tooltip idea may be of interest. It can be done in any framework and styled however one wishes.

Frank
Attachments:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.