Shopping Cart Tips and Tricks - Post...

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Got something interesting you can share with others? Post your cool tip, trick or tutorial here for others to learn from.

Please do not ask questions in here, start a new thread. This area is for tips, tricks and tutorials only.

If you are adding a tip, trick or tutorial, please create a bold title at the top of your posting on the subject. So it makes it easier for people to see what things are about.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 423919 Photo

Ambassador
57 posts

How To Create a Bigger Banner / Logo

Create a banner in a graphics package, i use dreamweaver, then you need to create a slice of the far left hand part of the banner that is 128 x 128, (or you can actually make it any size you want, i have made my whole banner 183 high) export this slice and call it logo.jpg, you can then copy this file over the top of the one in ccdata\images. Then export the whole banner and call it header_bg.jpg and copy it to the images folder off of the root. then when you view your shop you will see the new banner.

Keep the files in a safe place as each time you upload the shop you will need to overwrite the files again to see the new banner you created.

More to come...
User 515848 Photo

Ambassador
53 posts

CoffeeCup Shopping Cart within a frame.

I have successfully set up a shop within a frame, therefore using the existing logo and 'feel' of the main site. Obviously, the instructions for how to do it, will depend on the software you use to create websites.

Point the frame contents to www. fredbloggs.com/store, or wherever your shopping cart is to be found. All links still work "within the frame".

The one I use took me and grand total of 90 seconds to achieve the required result.

Here's a quick five minute mockup gch.com.au/fred_bloggs.html

PP

Dan wrote:
PP,

While this is a nice quick tip, i cannot see the benefit to it, nor will it help when it comes to the seo of the site. search engines will hopfully index the main php pages and display them in the search results, and not the html page with the iframe within it.

so i would suggest taking a little bit of time to learn the basics of scripting and your site will benefit far more.

you have to remember that it is one thing to have a site, it is another thing to make sure that people can find it and buy things from it.

I am not saying its a bad tip, I personally do not this it will benefit the site owner.

Cheers

Dan

Janys Hyde wrote:
If I may also point out that iframes can cause security issues which are not to be underestimated.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255676

Dan wrote:
Hi Guys,

I also forgot to point out that iFrames can also cause problem with passing session information from one session to another, i talk from experience that this can cause untold problems and issues with shopping cart software.

Cheers

Dan

LINo nun wrote:
iframe can prevent se like google index and rank your site so it is better to avoid that.

PopPicker wrote:
LINo nun wrote:
iframe can prevent se like google index and rank your site so it is better to avoid that.

This actually is only true if you have content within the iframe that is drawn from elsewhere, rather than hosted on the same domain as the iframe page. As long as the main site has valid links to AND from the cart pages, Google etc will be happy.

and Janys, those security issues you linked to, expired with the introduction of IE6. We are now on IE7 so one would assume they are done and dusted.

HotWheels wrote:
PopPicker wrote:

I have successfully set up a shop within a frame, therefore using the existing logo and 'feel' of the main site. Obviously, the instructions for how to do it, will depend on the software you use to create websites.

Point the frame contents to www. fredbloggs.com/store, or wherever your shopping cart is to be found. All links still work "within the frame".

The one I use took me and grand total of 90 seconds to achieve the required result.

PP

Hi PP i would love to read a tut on how to achieve this on VSD
Thanks !

Ford Doctor wrote:
PopPicker wrote:

PP

I have been messing around with this option as I wish to make my store available only to my forum members. I am able to create additional pages and navigation links to them that are available only to these members when logged in. It all works great but the only glitch is that selecting an item does not pull it over to the shopping cart - shows I have 0 items. How did you get this to work? I uploaded my shop into it's own directory outside of the forum to test it and it works fine.

I am attempting to load my shopping cart into an IFRAME on a PHP forum page which theoretically shouldn't matter.

postings combined by monitor
noʎ ɹoɟ ʇou sı ƃuıʌıpʎʞs uəɥʇ 'pəəɔɔns ʇ,uop noʎ ʇsɹıɟ ʇɐ ɟı
User 423919 Photo

Ambassador
57 posts

Adding Google Analytics....

I am a big fan of google analytics, not least because I am a firm believer that the more google code you include in your site the moore google favours it. I know some people will disagree with this theory, but i have great and fast success with google rankings when i include their code in a new site.

So here is a few pointers on how to implement google analytic within your shopping cart software.

1). First as always you will need to set up the new domain in your google analytics account, then copy the code provided.

2). For the main page of the shopping cart browse to ccdata/data and edit the index.inc.php file.
3). Near the bottom of the file you will see a line that starts "?></span></p></div><?php } ?><?php } ?></div></div></div><p id="footer">" this is line 162 on my editing program. (by the way you can change the footer here as well).
4). Move to the end of this line and you will see "</body></html>"
5). Paste you analytics code before the </body> so that the code is within the body of your php file.
6). Save and upload the file again.

You will have to do this each time you upload your shop again, some may see this as a bit of a pain, but it only takes a 30 seconds to do it each time.

Cheers

Dan
User 427108 Photo

292 posts

Footer info in the templates

Every body is complaining about the CoffeeCup message at the end of Shopping Cart.
What I have done:
I had bought the one theme and edited the xml files cart.xml / detail.xml / group.xml / home.xml and changed some values. As my sites are portuguese I translate the message to portuguese words (I had the need to change UTF-8 by iso-8859-1) and change also the message below:
<a href="http://www.coffeecup.com/">Shopping Cart templates</a> by CoffeeCup Software.
by
<a href="http://www.jimmythesailor.com">Jimmy Photography</a> by Jimmy the Sailor
But as I have two sites I made variants of the theme. The difference is that message and link. Well I can do more differences.
Now, every time i made changes and using this themes things come with my stuff.

Check here the result: http://www.art-i-batik.com/shopping/index.php

I hope this can help some people
Sorry if I was not much clear....
Jimmy

Stealee wrote:
You Know I didn't like the fact that the coffee cup link on the shopping cart pages either
I solved it a different way
Ifound the same link as above and added this: target="_blank"
that solved my problem

Also Note: The cart doesn't work on masked pages - DOH!

http://stealee.us/je/web-shop/

Kim wrote:
Actually an easier way to change the footer stuff is

Click "Your Shop" icon and then click the "footer" tab and then fill in your information.

If your a designer using this for various shopping carts, your are going to be editing this information on each shop anyway. I think CoffeeCup just put that in there so that people know what goes in that area when they look at the template. I don't see why people would be complaining when they offer an easy way to edit that information without editing the xml files.

posting combined by monitor
Jimmy The Sailor
http://www.jimmythesailor.net (trying to show my photos)
http://www.art-i-batik.com (my wife's gallery)
User 52204 Photo

32 posts

Linking Shopping Cart to Website

Hi, A quick solution to linking the shopping cart to your main web site, is to set up links on your main web site pages which point at the shopping cart categories;

i.e. if your main site is www.xxx.com and the shopping cart files are located in a folder called Shop.

Then the category links href ="/shop/viewcategory.php?groupid=id" where id = 0 etc. The group id numbers can be quickly established by looking at the url displayed in the browser window while stepping through the categories of your shop.
User 471275 Photo

Ambassador
1,130 posts

How to change the thumbnail frame colours in the shopping cart tip.

If you do not have a good knowlege of CSS do not attempt to do this, and if you do keep a copy of the original script in case things go wrong

Here is how it is done.

To change the colour of the thumnail frame colours you need to go to your css file, and then open your defaut.css.

Now you can change the colour of the fames in two places.

To change the thumbnail frame colour on the shop home page replace the #c3c3c3 with the colour number of the colour you want.

Layout styles script

#item_list .item img {float:left; display:inline; width:77px; height:77px; margin:0 5px 5px 0; border:2px solid #c3c3c3}

To change it for the product details section (where you can have various images etc) replace the #c3c3c3 in the section below in both places below were you see the #c3c3c3 with the colour number of the colour you want.

Product detail styles script

#product_images {clear:both; float:left; width:220px}
#image_full {padding:4px; border:1px solid #c3c3c3 ; background-color:#efeeee; width:204px}
#product_thumbnails li {float:left; display:inline; padding:3px; width:98px; height:96px; margin:3px 3px 0 0; border:1px solid c3c3c3 ; background-color:#efeeee}
#product_thumbnails img {width:98px}

Dont forget to upload the changed default.css and replace the old one. You only have to do this once.

Again, if you do not have a good knowlege of CSS do not attempt to do this, and if you do keep a copy of the original script in case things go wrong

User 1915465 Photo

16 posts

To change the format of price notation...

For example in the Netherlands we write: 645.000,=
six hundred and forty five thousand euro's and nill cents
Instead writing 645,000.00
I configured it as follows:

In the file 'utilities.inc.php'
There is a piece of code:

function formatAmount ( $number, $dec_places, $lng = 'en' ) {
switch ($lng) {
case 'en':
$r = number_format($number, $dec_places, ',', '.');
break;
case 'nl':
case 'es':
$r = number_format($number, $dec_places, ',', '.');
break;
case 'fr':
$r = number_format($number, $dec_places, ',', ' ');
break;
default:
die("No definition found for language '{$lng}' in formatAmount.");
}
return $r;

The bold underlined part is what I changed...
Not bad for a newbie to PHP...
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

Adding Video Demonstrations in Items

Thought I would sugest this. If you want to demonstrate a video of an item working, this sets up an Active x command inserted in the description html insertion system. Obviously you have to change values to suit.
Here is a demo of a clock in action http://mrtworld.com I might add this is an Aussie site and I have to address international shipping so this is a demo only DO NOT BUY. This is my bedside alarm and you are not getting it. I would refund first. I grabbed it, videoed it and put it up. dead easy. I repeat DO NOT BUY it is a demo only.

<object classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" id="ActiveX1" width="151" height="117">
<param name="status" value="">
<param name="openState" value="6">
<param name="versionInfo" value="9.0.0.3250">
<param name="uiMode" value="none">
<param name="stretchToFit" value="False">
<param name="isOnline" value="True">
<param name="isRemote" value="False">
<param name="playState" value="0">
<param name="windowlessVideo" value="False">
<param name="URL" value="Insert Video here">
<param name="fullScreen" value="False">
<param name="enabled" value="True">
<param name="enableContextMenu" value="True">
</object>

It actually opens all sort of options but product inventory is the biggie everything else can be managed.

For instance the above can be used to sell houses with a panarama of the property. the possibilities are endless.

I hope that the inventory problem is solved as this is a rapier compared to the Zen Cart.

I am setting up both and am 10 % with Zen Cart and about 75% with CCSB in 3 days.
Guess what system I would prefer to run with

Craig Wood wrote:
Not sure what it is supposed to do, but it did nothing but show the image when I clicked on it.

Sidney Prizeman wrote:
Ok I am an idiot I did not upload the movie and change the url. I was watching it from my own hard drive. Common mistake for me. I guess at 66 that's par for the course.
I will upload for demo. I just tested it and it worked for me. The url is placed in the place holder above. The video is a low resolution avi I took with a video camera.

As the system does not allow stock decrementation I may use the paypal shop inside this html block and use direct deposit as an option as well as a paypal shop
I cannot believe anyone would not consider that important. Maybe they are in their 60's too.

I still have a few days to test to try this.
Just had a quick look. I turned off paypal and I think I can put the item payment in the description using Paypals shop. I will have to put an explanation in the description

I will run with it as it solves the item decrement I believe. I definatly do not want two people buying the same item.

Terry

monitor combined postings
The Guy from OZ

User 69084 Photo

Ambassador
2 posts

Stopping customers from certain countries

I am sure this is obvious for the experienced guys, but I needed to stop visitors from a certain country purchasing from my web store.. Mainly because they have to purchase via a direct channel... anyway, I needed to add a geolocation look up so that if they are visiting from that country it would re-direct them to the alternative website...

this is the PHP code I stuck in, just before, the absolute paths section... Yes if going via a Proxy it isn't going to work... but it may be of use to someone else, especially if you want to create a webstore in different languages...

Just an idea... and yes you have to remember to add the code after regenerating.

$geoPlugin_array = unserialize( file_get_contents('http://www.geoplugin.net/php.gp?ip=' . $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) );

if ($geoPlugin_array['geoplugin_countryCode']=='ZA' )
{
header( 'Location: http://myredirected size' ) ;
}

// absolute paths are more efficient (on proper servers), so is output buffering

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.