How do rows and columns work? - Post...

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

I intended to write how I did it, but I was caught up in other commitments, and I wanted to have a working example ready.
But here is what I did:
I wanted sidebars on either side of a main content area, so I inserted a row and gave all of it (make sure that 'row' is selected) the background colour I wanted to use for the side bars. After that I split it up in three columns and adjusted the span for each of them. Still all has the same bg colour. I inserted a subgrid into the main content area (I only needed one row/one column in that subgrid). Then the subgrid got a different bg colour. Now I added a couple of paragraph elements into the subgrid, and voilà: the side bars are expanding downwards as the main column is filled with text.
The bits of colour that peeks out below the subgrid can be removed by adjusting the margins.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Adam East wrote:
@Inger - You said you have to figure out what the properties for the elements do. The properties are the same properties you have been working with in regular HTML. Margin, Padding, width, etc. Granted there are some new ones, but most of them have been around since 1998, we just have not been using them. :P

I guess someone who has never coded a site may have a faster understanding of RLMP, as there isn't so much they have to 'unlearn'. Even if the margin, padding etc have been there for years, it's a new way of using them. And I had never heard about 'push', 'pull' nor 'hero element' before. Grids - yes, but if you are a die-hard coder, like me, you don't use grids. It is hardly possible to make everything fit into a grid anyway, and I have always maintained that if I have to change my design to fit into a grid, then I won't use a grid. I'm certain that I'm not the only one thinking that way.
The background issue you spoke of, could have been fixed once you exported the code or within RLM. Remember there are several different ways to accomplish the same thing in code. But the point I am getting at is, it was not RLM that forced you to find a new way to accomplish this, it was responsive design. As we have been saying, responsive is a new way of thinking. :P

You have been with the CC staff for as long as the RLMP has been around, Adam, and I'm sure you know the ins and outs of it. Well, some (many) of us have not fiddled with it that long, and therefore have to find out things. And that is the learning curve I was talking about. Of course, when you have found a solution to a problem, then it's that aha moment you are mentioning. I for once have had a couple of those already, but I still have a lot to learn. Oh, and the background issue and how I solved has been explained in my previous post.
I can see the programme has some great features. But for the time being, I would probably be able to complete a responsive design faster by coding it myself. That might change, though, you never know... ;)

Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

I would probably be able to complete a responsive design faster by coding it myself. That might change, though, you never know... ;)

It will change. :P The more you use it the more you understand it is the same yet slightly different.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

And when you do Inger, you will finally have the "Ahhhhh...." moment. That is all Adam is saying. Once you understand it, things make sense. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

We can always live in hope... ;):P
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Inger wrote:
We can always live in hope... ;):P

We keep saying that every day. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

If you CC guys can just bear/bare (never sure which one that is :cool:) on us with RLM, regardless of whether you think the questions are simple. I agree 100% with Inger it is more suited to non-coders. There is nothing that I've ever come across more difficult than programming and I've done Maths to a pretty high standard and that to me is simple compared to programming languages, but when we say there's a learning curves there's a learning curve. There is a time when you get that Eureka moment and you think yeah that's clicked. I'm doing quite well with RLM now, I'm not a guru but it's coming.
All we ask is just for this time period with a new powerful program and the arm bands are still on, just answer the questions. In a few weeks when others come to the party and they are using RLM we can answer their questions :P
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

G'kar wrote:

All we ask is just for this time period with a new powerful program and the arm bands are still on, just answer the questions. In a few weeks when others come to the party and they are using RLM we can answer their questions :P

Why would we stop helping? Have we ever said "Sorry, we can no longer help you out. Figure it out yourself." ;)

Adam gave a pretty detailed response to the question at hand. This topic is starting to stray from the original question...
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

G'kar wrote:
Not being a little condescending there a little, old chap :P of course there's a learning curve if there wasn't why is there that there's so many questions from experienced and the not so experienced. Generally speaking when you have a powerful program there is a learning curve.
However I do agree with you that it's like looking at rows and columns like tables that's what I've being thinking as the best way to see them.

Actually... when you say "Not being a little condescending" is sort of condescending. ;)

What Adam said was that the markup is nothing really new. This code has been around for a long time. Sure the application itself may have a bit of a learning curve but adding your content to it should be relatively straight forward for those who already code websites. It is just HTML and CSS.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.