Animation looks great within RCS but...

User 2110889 Photo

17 posts

Been playing with this for a couple days and have an assortment of slides that do all sorts of cool things. But they only work within the confines of RCS. When previewed in a browser or when placed on a functioning site that is running on a testing server, there is no animation at all. At first I thought I had put the files that are created when the RCS slide is exported in the wrong place. The export for embedding command creates a directory of files and folders that go in the root of the site...correct? Or should the individual files and folders go in the root? Also, i notice that if I use RSD to build a site and follow the instructions for adding a RCS slide it has me create an html element within the RSD created page to hold the RCS code. The site I'm trying to add the RCS slde to was not built with RSD so I'm just copying and pasting the code created by RCS into the index.html page that I want the slider to appear in, I'm not wrapping it in an html element. Should I be?
Perplexed, as usual,
photophart
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
http://www.photophart.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

It sounds like you may have skipped a part of the process when adding your slider to RSD. We have an article here at http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … -designer/ , which walks you through the entire process.

If you still have problems, post a link to your site so we can take a look at what is going on.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2110889 Photo

17 posts

Guess I wasn't clear. When I use RSD to create a site or a page, in this case, I use the instructions here: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … -designer/ and follow them exactly. But since the site I'm trying to add the slider to was not created with RSD those instructions aren't helping. I cannot post a link to the site I'm having trouble with as it exists only on my testing server: I'm not taking it live until it works. And, no, I'm not opening ports on my router so you can see it there.
When I create a slider in RCS it works fine there. When I click "preview in" at the top of the RCS window I don't see any animation regardless of which browser I choose. When I export for embedding I do what RCS tells me to do which is copy the lines of code to the head section, then copy the lines of code to the place on the page I'd like the slider to be, then copy the directory of files that RCS creates to the root of the site. All of this is then uploaded to the testing server. I'm fairly sure the directory of files is in the correct place because the images within that directory appear in the correct place on the page. The animation, however, isn't animating.
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Photophart can you just upload the slider itself to a server and see if it works on its own without rsd.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2110889 Photo

17 posts

Yup, tried that.
I don't want to branch this thread too much but here's something even stranger: If I've created a slide that works within RCS and I click "add a blank slide" I get two blank slides and my original slide is gone. I don't see any posts here regarding this behavior so I'm off to uninstall RCS, DL a new copy, and reinstall the application. We'll see what happens after that.
User 2110889 Photo

17 posts

Ok, that accomplished nothing. Trying to add a blank slide to a preexisting slide erases the preexisting slide and gives me 2 blank slides. So I'm guessing something at a deeper level is amiss.
But, back to the original problem: as a test I opened one of RCS's templates, "Present Animated", saved it as a new slide show, exported for embedding, copied the code to the head, copied the code to where the slide should appear, moved the directory of files it created to the site root, uploaded all that to the testing server and, as expected, no slide, no animation, zip. I'm pretty sure this testing server is working as it should because the rest of this site, including Coffee Cup Menu Builder code is working perfectly.

User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

photophart wrote:
Ok, that accomplished nothing. Trying to add a blank slide to a preexisting slide erases the preexisting slide and gives me 2 blank slides. So I'm guessing something at a deeper level is amiss.
But, back to the original problem: as a test I opened one of RCS's templates, "Present Animated", saved it as a new slide show, exported for embedding, copied the code to the head, copied the code to where the slide should appear, moved the directory of files it created to the site root, uploaded all that to the testing server and, as expected, no slide, no animation, zip. I'm pretty sure this testing server is working as it should because the rest of this site, including Coffee Cup Menu Builder code is working perfectly.

Make sure you are not uploading the _exported folder. You need to upload the contents of that folder. Since you can not share your site with us, can you provide a screenshot of the directory where you have the slider files upload? So we can confirm this is not the case.

As to your issue with adding a blank slide. I am unable to replicate this. If you could open a support ticket and supply the exact steps you are taking to cause the issue, we can take a look into it! :)
User 2110889 Photo

17 posts

Just to try and cover all the bases, I created a new testing server on a different PC yesterday and spent a chunk of the afternoon testing it. Started over putting fresh exports of RCS output there.
I understand this is getting tedious to follow but here's what I have so far: The issue with the blank slide erasing the pre-existing slide occurs in a slide made using the default template called Blank DDP. If I start from the template called Present Animated I can add and remove slides at will, no problem.
If I use the Present Animated template as is and export it to be embedded, then copy the code that is presented to the head and body sections and move the directory of files to the root of the site, I get a functioning page with the nice slides that are in the template. Yay! So I'm putting the directory of files created by RCS in the correct place on the server.
Great so far, but if I remove all the slides but the first one from the Present Animated template and go through all the steps of exporting to embed again I get no slide and no animation.
Since this all started with me trying to add a single slide to a page on a functioning website, it seems perhaps I've found a bug: RCS can't create a single slide presentation, at least with the templates I've tried so far. Is anyone else seeing this?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Thank you Mark for the detailed information. With this, I was able to track down the problem with the theme and have logged this with our developers to fix in one of our next releases.

What you need to do here is if you delete all the slides but one, under the Slides pane, uncheck the box "Animate on load". That will then correct the problem. It appears if there is only one slide, that setting is causing issues with displaying the 1st slide.

Thanks again for reporting this. I am sure that was driving you mad. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2110889 Photo

17 posts

Thanks for the follow-up Scott. I finally went with using two slides for the page I was working on because I REALLY like what Content Slider is capable of doing. As it turns out the two slide approach works quite well in this application and creates an element of visual interest that just wasn't there in the static page. RCS is a great way to move the viewer's eye around the page by using sequential animation, thus keeping them engaged with the site. IMO Content Slider's greatest strength: the ability to try out dozens of different animations to see what looks the best without touching a single line of code. Powerful stuff.
Thanks

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.