Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Editor...

User 2581604 Photo

3 posts

I am new to CoffeeCup. I used Dreamweaver for a long time and then the free CoffeeCup editor for a while before purchasing. I like it very much so far but have asuggestion...

I would like end tags to be suggested for me. For example, if I type "<" in preparation to enter "</h1>", I would love it if the software would "see" that I had <h1> and suggest the correct ending so that all I have to do is hit enter to accept it.

Thanks for considering!
Lisa
Lisa Over
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

Just downloaded version 12.8, Build 691, and found a tiny little problem: in the "Characters" list, the "trade" character "preview" is of what looks to be a "single quote", rather than the '™' symbol. Just makes it a little harder to find.

Other way this is a freakishly awesome editor! Especially for what it costs--which is next to nothing, considering all the excellent features!
When we look at the things around us, we only see them as they were in the past. We really have no perception of reality, at all!
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Prehistoric Profile wrote:
Just downloaded version 12.8, Build 691, and found a tiny little problem: in the "Characters" list, the "trade" character "preview" is of what looks to be a "single quote", rather than the '™' symbol. Just makes it a little harder to find.

Other way this is a freakishly awesome editor! Especially for what it costs--which is next to nothing, considering all the excellent features!

I believe this is something also that needs to be reported to CC via a support topic rather than a suggestions as it sounds like something that should be fixed rather than a feature change. :)
User 113629 Photo

36 posts

I've seen a lot of questions about wildcards in the Find feature.
As a preventative measure, you could have wildcards in Find but not recursive Find & Replace. We all know the hazards of 1 simple typo in a replace command.

Personally, I'd like to see a regex option in Find. Even if it had to be specifically turned on or "checked". That addition would keep me in CoffeeCup instead of bouncing back & forth from a unix prompt. I know quite a few programmers using CoffeeCup HTML Editor as their editing tool. They too frequently swap between CoffeeCup and some other POSIX utility.

I know regex search/find isn't something that would be requested or understood by all CoffeeCup users. I'd definitely buy it if it was a CoffeeCup HTML "developer" addon rather than a built-in feature.
User 399197 Photo

46 posts

Nathaniel Marquez wrote:
It would be cool if Highlighting could be added to the HTML EDITOR ... so that each set of opening and closing tags will highlight when one or the other is selected

Thanks for your time ...

Glad I checked this topic. I've been intending to make this suggestion for some time, but am just now getting around to it. Now I see that it's already been brought up. Great! The only thing I would add is that it would be very helpful if the code block in between the opening and closing tags ID'd as above was highlighted in some manner, too. This would make it extremely easy to check things at a glance--troubleshooting nested divs can be a real pain.
User 474778 Photo

215 posts

robert helcoop wrote:
Hi I now run two computors
one on windows Vista and cant get my version of html editor to work But would like very much a version that will run on UBUNTU Linux.
any plans for this ?

I jump on this whenever I see others interested. I'd love to see it happen, too! However, I doubt that CoffeeCup is going to do it. The conventional wisdom is that Windows and MAC users spend money on tools, but Linux users are willing to get by one way or the other without spending money. Maybe if Steam sells lots of game licenses on Linux, if Linux users (miraculously) pay something for a supported version of OpenOffice / LibreOffice (along the lines of the supported version that Sun sold once-upon-a-pre-Oracle time), all those QuickBooks accounting users migrate from MS-Windows to the Cloud, and the bottom utterly falls out of Microsoft's desktop OS business, Linux will look like a real money maker to companies like CoffeeCup. Unless / until, I doubt it.

In the meantime, #robert helcoop, how about running the CC HTML Editor and other CC products on Windows within a virtual machine hosted on Linux? Please see discussion of that here: http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/website … -software/
halfnium -AT- alum.mit.edu
Yes, I looked just like that in 1962.
User 2013232 Photo

7 posts

Just wondering if there has been any thought put to this suggestion, I also think that it would be very useful, not just for PHP but also many other languages, Java/JavaScript to name two.

+1 this

David Harmon wrote:
I do a lot of PHP programming, and I'd really like to see a "bracket pairing" feature in the editor. Sometimes scripts become quite lengthy with nested levels of brackets. Finding a missing bracket, or why a particular piece of code is being executed or falling through is oft times difficult and time consuming.

Having the editor highlight the matching bracket (I believe Dreamweaver does such a thing) would be useful.

Not sure if this has been covered previously, or perhaps is even possible already, so I just thought I'd through it out there.

Thanks!

Dave.
User 289442 Photo

161 posts

Noticed on sign-on this evening that CC home page is promoting HTML Editor. Not complaining, in fact supporting and recommending that you promote the Editor more often than you do --- it is very much the best and most important piece of software you offer....

Just saying.

TomH
User 2120530 Photo

14 posts

Lisa Over wrote:
I am new to CoffeeCup. I used Dreamweaver for a long time and then the free CoffeeCup editor for a while before purchasing. I like it very much so far but have asuggestion...

I would like end tags to be suggested for me. For example, if I type "<" in preparation to enter "</h1>", I would love it if the software would "see" that I had <h1> and suggest the correct ending so that all I have to do is hit enter to accept it.

Thanks for considering!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

About a year ago, in this very thread, I posted a similar suggestion http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/html-editor/suggestions-for-coffeecup-html-editor/?post_id=201470#post201470 I was coming back here after a long hiatus to see if this suggestion had been acted upon. It seems so obvious to me and, apparently, a few others too.

If anyone is in the know around here, has there been any consideration given to incorporating this?

Regards,
Alan
User 2046264 Photo

7 posts

I've downloaded the trial version of the HTML Editor, and I'm having a heck of a time.

1) It would be helpful if I can watch video tutorials, so I can see how stuff gets done.
2) It would be nice if "Help" was a more robust document, with "search" and "index" functions. Scrolling through the PDF file is not good, and I can't find answers to my questions in the PDF file.
3) I'm having trouble doing simple tasks, like creating a page, editing a theme, creating a framed page, creating a CSS for each page, and so forth. Heck, I can't even see how to change the background color of a page.
4) My knowledge of HTML code is horrible -- I want to edit the preview pane, not the code pane.
5) I want to customize my toolbar.

It's difficult to get started with this editor. Any suggestions on how to get started with the simple stuff?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.