Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Editor...

User 51930 Photo

1 post

CoffeeCup Rocks! The HTML editor that was released this morning ... I'm speechless. You guys made the best editor on the market even better!
I've been working on SEO tags all morning and I do have something to add to the wishlist. How about a character counter for title tags and meta tags? Just highlight some content and click a button to get a character count. That would be sweet!
User 235128 Photo

33 posts

PLEASE fix tab settings and behavior in the code editor.

1) I like my tabs set to 3 spaces. CC is "fixed" at 4 spaces and/or multiples of 4 spaces. It's been this way for years and needs to be fixed! I bounce back and forth between different code editors. The other editors handle my tab preferences just fine. I cannot use CC because it messes up my code indentation when I switch back to another editor. Because of this I can only use CC for quick test code. I cannot use it for production code.

2) shift-tab on selected lines should move those lines to the right by one tab. alt-shift-tab should move selected lines to the left.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

codeDawg wrote:

1) I like my tabs set to 3 spaces. CC is "fixed" at 4 spaces and/or multiples of 4 spaces. It's been this way for years and needs to be fixed! I bounce back and forth between different code editors. The other editors handle my tab preferences just fine. I cannot use CC because it messes up my code indentation when I switch back to another editor. Because of this I can only use CC for quick test code. I cannot use it for production code.

2) shift-tab on selected lines should move those lines to the right by one tab. alt-shift-tab should move selected lines to the left.

I agree the tab spaces are not right for me either, and the CSS ones even more so.

The keybindings are not correct though with what you give. I've never used those before that way on any program it's always:

Tab: Shifts what you have highlighted to the right
Shift-Tab: Shifts what you have highlighted to the left

Been that way for any text editor I've ever used be it basic text or html editors other than this one. I'd welcome it either way, but for now you can hit:

Ctrl+Shift+, (that's a comma) to make it do the Shift+Tab function (move to left)
Ctrl+Shift+. (that's a period) to make it do the Tab function (move to right)

User 469268 Photo

80 posts

Jo Ann wrote:

1) I like my tabs set to 3 spaces. CC is "fixed" at 4 spaces and/or multiples of 4 spaces. It's been this way for years and needs to be fixed!

So, unless the number of spaces for a tab is hard coded in CC, surely not, can this not be an option (new feature suggestion) to set the number of spaces for a tab to say, 3,4,5 for html code and then different or the same spacing for CSS?.
User 235128 Photo

33 posts

Wooops - I stand corrected. Thanks Jo Ann.
( The fingers know what to do when the brain is engaged on coding :) )

Code indentation behavior should be:
tab - move selected text to the right
shift-tab - move selected text to the left.

The "biggie" here is the tab spacing issue though.
C'mon CC - Please get this fixed!

Jo Ann wrote:
codeDawg wrote:

I agree the tab spaces are not right for me either, and the CSS ones even more so.

The keybindings are not correct though with what you give. I've never used those before that way on any program it's always:

Tab: Shifts what you have highlighted to the right
Shift-Tab: Shifts what you have highlighted to the left

Been that way for any text editor I've ever used be it basic text or html editors other than this one. I'd welcome it either way, but for now you can hit:

Ctrl+Shift+, (that's a comma) to make it do the Shift+Tab function (move to left)
Ctrl+Shift+. (that's a period) to make it do the Tab function (move to right)

User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

codeDawg wrote:

You can set the number of spaces for the tab to any number you desire.
On the main menu, click on Tools --> Preferences --> Customization -->Modify Options. On the lower right in the pop-up window, you'll find "Tab Stops". The default is 4, but you can change it to any number you want.
Works for me! ;)
The shift-tab does not work in reverse, though, the way it usually does in many other applications.
User 235128 Photo

33 posts

Thanks Per.

I guess my tab settings got reset on the CC editor upgrade.
I've attached a screen capture of my new tab settings dialog box.
With these settings:
1) Tab on a single line works. (Big improvement over earlier versions of the HTML editor.)
2) Tab on multiple lines indent 6 spaces
3) ctrl-shift-period on a single line indents 6 spaces
4) ctrl-shift-period on multiple lines indents 6 spaces
5) ctrl-shift-comma on a single line unindents 6 spaces and moves the cursor up one line.
6) ctrl-shift-comma on a multiple lines unindents 6 spaces and moves the cursor to the end of the last line.

The behavior of ctrl-shift-comma changes depending on how you select the text.
Select entire lines from column 1, ctrl-shift-comma unindents first line to column 1
Select just the text in the lines, ctrl-shift-comma unindents all lines to column 1

shift-tab behaves just like tab

Per wrote:
codeDawg wrote:

You can set the number of spaces for the tab to any number you desire.
On the main menu, click on Tools --> Preferences --> Customization -->Modify Options. On the lower right in the pop-up window, you'll find "Tab Stops". The default is 4, but you can change it to any number you want.
Works for me! ;)
The shift-tab does not work in reverse, though, the way it usually does in many other applications.
Attachments:
User 601710 Photo

114 posts

Although the editor does not show the following file types in the file list because of the file filter, they are there and get uploaded when using the editor's FTP or the CC Direct FTP program:

website_project_name.cpf
website_project_name.cpfs

Can't these files be stored elsewhere other than the actual project files and have the editor find them there? Maybe have their very own folder for all projects other than being installed within the projects' folder among all the other site files?

** EDITED BY JO ANN **
Please do not comment here on this suggestion, all comments have been moved to this location so we can carry on the conversation, but it's getting quite long and will get other suggestions lost in the shuffle so carry it on here :)
http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/html-ed … n-go-here/
Ron
User 125842 Photo

Ambassador
69 posts

There are a few things I would like to see in next update of the HTML Editor:

1) When using a mouse with a wheel in Windows, scrolling the wheel scolls the page.
But - when a 1:1 scrolling it takes forever to scroll up and down.

Therefore the mouse-driver have a setup to change the "vertical scrolling speed", a setting most windows apps uses.

A 1:4 ratio f.ex makes the screen "jump" (not slow scrolling) 4 lines for each tiny movement of the mouse-wheel...

PLEASE implement this...

2) Font size in edit window. Sometimes it makes sense to see more text inside the edit frame, or less (so I can work without my glasses :P),

I would like to be able to on-the-fly change font-size in the Edit window the same way as we do in Word - pressing CTRL+mousewheel

3) I sometimes edit several files, with the same name, from different folders,... and it is not always easy to keep track of which file is what...

A feature of changing colors on the Tabs for open files would be great... not storing it anywhere.. just a simple way to keep track of things..

It could be implemented on right-click on a Tab, popping up a list of 5-10 colors, and picking color will Set that color on the active Tab.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Morten Lindstrom wrote:
There are a few things I would like to see in next update of the HTML Editor:

1) When using a mouse with a wheel in Windows, scrolling the wheel scolls the page.
But - when a 1:1 scrolling it takes forever to scroll up and down.

Therefore the mouse-driver have a setup to change the "vertical scrolling speed", a setting most windows apps uses.

A 1:4 ratio f.ex makes the screen "jump" (not slow scrolling) 4 lines for each tiny movement of the mouse-wheel...

PLEASE implement this...

2) Font size in edit window. Sometimes it makes sense to see more text inside the edit frame, or less (so I can work without my glasses :P),

I would like to be able to on-the-fly change font-size in the Edit window the same way as we do in Word - pressing CTRL+mousewheel

3) I sometimes edit several files, with the same name, from different folders,... and it is not always easy to keep track of which file is what...

A feature of changing colors on the Tabs for open files would be great... not storing it anywhere.. just a simple way to keep track of things..

It could be implemented on right-click on a Tab, popping up a list of 5-10 colors, and picking color will Set that color on the active Tab.

I'll second each of those suggestions, :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.