Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Editor...

User 2108985 Photo

47 posts

I don't know if it is possible in the HTML editor, but It would be very nice to have a "multilanguage" userinterface like so many other programs have.

I'm thinking about one language file per language with all the variables are translated into the specific language.

I'll try to make it some more clear by showing some code, the structure is: [variable] = 'translated text':

English language file

$lang_main_menu['home_title'] = 'Go to the home page';
$lang_main_menu['home_lnk'] = 'Home';
$lang_main_menu['alb_list_title'] = 'Go to the album list';
$lang_main_menu['alb_list_lnk'] = 'Album list';
$lang_main_menu['my_gal_title'] = 'Go to my personal gallery';
$lang_main_menu['my_gal_lnk'] = 'My gallery';
$lang_main_menu['my_prof_title'] = 'Go to my personal profile';
$lang_main_menu['my_prof_lnk'] = 'My profile';

Dutch language file

$lang_main_menu['home_title'] = 'Ga naar de beginpagina';
$lang_main_menu['home_lnk'] = 'Beginpagina';
$lang_main_menu['alb_list_title'] = 'Ga naar de albumlijst';
$lang_main_menu['alb_list_lnk'] = 'Albumlijst';
$lang_main_menu['my_gal_title'] = 'Ga naar mijn persoonlijke galerij';
$lang_main_menu['my_gal_lnk'] = 'Mijn galerij';
$lang_main_menu['my_prof_title'] = 'Ga naar mijn persoonlijk profiel';
$lang_main_menu['my_prof_lnk'] = 'Mijn profiel';

As I am Dutchspeaking (from Flanders in Belgium) I think there are people interested for a Dutch version of the great HTML editor.

I'm almost certain there will be volunteers to (help) translate these texts.

(I'm one of them! :cool:)
User 458233 Photo

2 posts

Hi,

I love the CC Editor! I have been using it for 4+ years and have appreciated all the updates.

I use it strictly in the Code Editor mode and, therefore, have here bypassed all discussion pertaining to the Visual Editor.

Although my "Wish List" for changes have been mostly covered by other posters, I will mention those specifically important to me:

1. The marking of starting and ending tags (particularly the div) would be very much appreciated. When designing a page, I try to make an effort to comment both the opening and especially the closing /div to keep track of that section. If I fail to do this, the closing /divs tend to fall to the bottom of the page and I lose track of which /div goes with which opening div. If the pair of divs could be joined... or if clicking on a closing /div could match it with its partner... that would be very useful.

If that is too difficult, perhaps offering an option when a new div is created... to name the div. Then if 2 comments were simultaneously created one after each div and /div, it could accomplish a similar result (mirroring what I now do manually). For example, if the div is named "Page", then after the starting div could be the comment "Begin Page"... and after the /div could be the comment "Close Page". Then, when the /div gets moved to the end of its function, the comment could be moved along with it clearly showing which div is closing. The opening and closing of the section defined by that particular div would be clearly defined.

2. I currently do not use the split screen function. However, if the splits were attached by the cursor as has been suggested, I would surely make use of that capability. I have used the CSS program Style Master. It offers such a capability for CSS, pointing to the secton of the page affected by changing a line of CSS... and vice versa. It is very useful.

3. I would love to have "Find and Replace" for an entire folder (which I use often... and with trepidation) offer a trial before finalizing the change. For example, if it told me how many files would be changed... and allowed you to check the result... before finalizing the change throughout the entire folder, it would remove the trepidation!. Sometimes I am expecting a change to affect 100+ files and the finalized result comes back that only 20 were changed! Now I must go page by page through all my files to locate where the change occurred and where it didn't. If this would show as a preview first, then I could locate my Replace error before committing it to the entire website.

4. When inserting a photo into the web page, it would be great if the photo viewer would show more than just a small piece of the photo to be inserted. I must often scroll up and down and sometimes left and right to be sure it is the photo I want to use. This becomes cumbersome when inserting many photos.

Just a Wish list.
Thanks for a great product.
Robert
User 2084624 Photo

2 posts

Looking for a feature that may exist; but if so I haven't found it yet.

The characters tab allows the user to look through a very long list of special characters and zap the one of his choice. Handy for typing "café" instead of "cafe" on a US or UK keyboard. But very tedious if you're working your way through a 25-page document.

Working in France I've long since adopted a French keyboard, and often have either to type in French text or paste it from a French-language source. In HomeSite (showing my age) there was a command which converted all such text into the appropriate HTML codes; and another which converted it back again. The latter a useful thing since "café" is easier to read than the "eacute" code. In TopStyle conversion takes place automatically on input so you have to lump it with the HTML code; but at least it gets done.

If an option of this type is available in CC I'd be a happy camper. If not, could you include the conversion command pair in your development plans? Or (less satisfactory) allow definition of a set of favorites so the user doesn't have to do his hunting and pecking in a list some 300 items long?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Do be careful with that find and replace though, some symbols you won't want changed. An example would be the & symbol I added to my content then had to change that symbol to the real code for it so I did a find and replace. But.... I had also added some code that had that symbol in it too and it changed that one also so be sure if you have a single symbol or code you want changed that you "include" the spaces on each side of it in the search part so it knows which ones exactly to replace :)

I would have to agree with david here though, I think it would be very similar to a mass find/replace and using the undo to take it out. The only real issue with this is it doesn't show you which ones it changed at this time, hopefully this is something they will include in a future release :)
User 2084624 Photo

2 posts

David, Jo Ann,

Thanks for your helpful hint. That is however not one search and replace operation, it is (for French) fifteen search and replace operations. I could do that in Word 6.

There is of course the Code Cleaner tool which offers to convert characters with a value greater than 127 into "entities". Sounds just the ticket. All my "é"s will become "é" etc, right?

Wrong. They turn into "é", a splendid capital A with a Spanish squiggle followed by a copyright sign. Always wondered where those things came from. Just the stuff for speed reading.
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Edward,
I may be missing something here, but if you are using a French keyboard (either a "physical" one or by specifying it as a language/keyboard layout in Windows), why would you need any kind of "conversion", "character tab", "entities" or "find and replace" in order to type e.g. "café"? Why wouldn't you just type the "é" directly in the HTML and have it appear exactly the same way in a browser and in preview?

I sometimes use Portuguese - with much the same accented letters as French - and I find that specifying charset=UTF-8, in conjunction with the code cleaner, ensures that it all comes out correctly.

Again, please enlighten me if I managed to completely misunderstand your posts! ;)
User 2108985 Photo

47 posts

Reading this mails about accented characters, I checked something out in the CC HTML editor 2010 SE build 365.

For the "normal" characters: é è ç à ù µ ñ ô î ê ë ä ö .... etc, I do not have any problem since the new version of CC understands utf-8.
All these characters are standard on my Belgian AZERTY-keyboard and I can type them right into the editor of CC.

But, for my Esperanto characters, I had to change the layout of my keyboard and added the special characters to it in the same language-set: Nederlands-(België)
So I also can type them easily in this window but they do not show up when I post the message.
(See attach)

If you are using Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, you can download a free utility from Microsoft to adapt the layout of your keyboard.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=8be579aa-780d-4253-9e0a-e17e51db2223

Now I just noticed that my Esperanto characters do not work in the CC-editor and not in this forum??
Although they work in other programs even in Notepad++??
It are just characters from the utf-8 set?

Can they in any way be added to the utf-8 set in CoffeeCup?

User 415948 Photo

8 posts

What I like about a lot of programs is that I can open up several documents at once and compare them. Like for instance. I can have two or more word documents open and do a comparison.

What I cannot do with the html editor is open up two websites in the html editor and review the codes so maybe I can copy a group of coding that I did previously.

I know your answer may be to open them up as websites and do a source review. That is not the same thing I am looking for in the html editor.

Just an idea.
Joel Storchan
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Love the new import feature for themes, much easier "if you're only doing a few"! LOL, but...

I have 30 themes that I've purchased over time and every time you update them I have to now import them ... one ... by ... one .... eeeks that's a lot of hassle for so many. Any way you can see fit to add a mass importing feature so we can import a group of them or even all of them at once? That would be a very nice time saver for us I think :)
User 229533 Photo

15 posts

I want to suggest a very little, but important improvement, both for html and for php syntax: the simultaneous highlighting of the opening and closing tag.

For example, let's suppose that we have the following code:

<div class="class">
<p>blah blah</p>
<?
if($xyz!="") {
echo "<p>second blah blah</p>";
}
?>
</div>

When I put the cursor in the first div, then I would like to have the "<div" highlighted and the closing </div>, too. Or, in php, when putting the cursor on <? or {, I would like to see the software highlighting both the opening and the closing element. Think about long, intricated <div>'s or php "if"s: this would be a nice productivity improvement, that would help a lot.
www.PinBud.com - do you own a small business? ;)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.