Style sheet doesn't work anymore! -...

User 2806441 Photo

64 posts

Hi, I'm using the editor (V. 16.1/808) on win 10.
In one project, practically over night, the CSS doesn't seem to work anymore.
The uploaded website works fine in any browser but no longer in the editor.
I am wondering, was there an update in version that I was not aware of?
Thanks.
Ed
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

The latest stable version of the HTML Editor is the one you have, and it has been around for something like 2 years. So, if there is something not working, have you edited something lately and maybe made a mistake? Or anyway, what exactly is not working?
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2287960 Photo

Ambassador
580 posts

I rarely use the editor to check site.

I upload HTML and CSS and check live.

Keith
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Another thing that might make it impossible to have correct previews in the Editor might be that the preview engine is that of IE11. That is now an old browser, and there are lots of new code that can't be displayed correctly. But that shouldn't really happen over night, unless of course, you have added something to your site that IE11 can't handle. And Keith is right, it is best to check live.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2806441 Photo

64 posts

Well, thanks for the advice.
I usually check live but when I work with the editor and hit F11 to check how the website looks, I should see the correct website, right?
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

I am unsure whether the reference is to the F12 ("preview-as-you-code") facility or Ctrl+F9 (browser testing).

If the reference is to the use of Ctrl+F9, I use Ctrl+F5 instead, which tests with whatever browser I have set at the top of the list of Tools > Additional Browsers. That is, of course, set via Tools > Preferences > Browser Testing (tab).

Frank

PS This reply was typed before the reference to F11 was made.
User 2806441 Photo

64 posts

Reference is ("preview-as-you-code")
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Edgar Miller wrote:
Reference is ("preview-as-you-code")

Thanks for clarifying that.

I indeed find that F11 seems not to work for me: it just tells me that navigation to the webpage was cancelled. F12 seems to work for me, observing CSS files etc.

Frank
User 2806441 Photo

64 posts

F12 doesn't work either.
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

I have tested further, and find that I am getting mixed results with F11 and F12 which are apparently mutually exclusive. The F11 message I reported in my previous post was because the F12 ("preview-as-you-code") was running.

On my public website prepared in Site Designer everything works fine in The HTML Editor (which I use primarily for the 'Check Website Project Dependencies' as there are hundreds of internal links involved). On one local hard-drive website also prepared in Site Designer, both F11 and F12 suffer the loss of CSS recognition. I am unsure what difference between the sites is changing the outcome, but I am pretty sure it's not faulty coding, as the local hard-drive website is prepared wholly in SD4. It could be that all the links in the public site are internal, whereas all the links in the local hard-drive website are external (I use the local website as a replacement for bookmarking in browsers).

Frank

PS I wonder whether the big Spring update of Windows 10 made any difference to the working of The HTML Editor. I got that update as soon as it came out, but some are probably still waiting for it. FC

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.