Share your site made with HTML...

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

It's a pretty site G'Kar, but it's not truly up to date coding as it looks like you've implemented tables as part of your layout which is definitely not the way to do things today. Tables for layouts have been replaced with CSS and although you're using a bit of CSS you're also using inline css code which kind of defeats the purpose of using CSS for styling. I didn't look it over real closely, but that's what I saw for the most part. I like how it looks though, just need to do what you did for the layout using CSS now instead of tables. :)
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
It's a pretty site G'Kar, but it's not truly up to date coding as it looks like you've implemented tables as part of your layout which is definitely not the way to do things today. Tables for layouts have been replaced with CSS and although you're using a bit of CSS you're also using inline css code which kind of defeats the purpose of using CSS for styling. I didn't look it over real closely, but that's what I saw for the most part. I like how it looks though, just need to do what you did for the layout using CSS now instead of tables. :)

Thanks for looking Jo Ann, I've put tables in, but not for the layout, the layout is done in CSS as width etc. I've toyed with all sorts of layouts I do feel personally that tables still have a role to play, for content of a page. I'm maybe wrong on this, because I do get out of touch sometimes. I have to look after my wife as she's very ill over the last few years and I come and go to Web Design and when I come back it's all changed :P A little while ago I did my own image gallery and another designer said to me, how long is it since you trained in Javascript, I said about 8 yrs (at the time) he said times have moved on :cool:
User 2924428 Photo

1,718 posts

G'Kar , i'm sorry to hear that your wife is ill man, I really hope she gets better.

Web design is constantly changing, I myself don't have to go far to see the differences in designs since CC provides me all the latest information that I need when it comes to design :). I work with team websites here and there, although most of my friends and family members are gamers, there are a few programmers, and designers within. I think that CC has the best software out there when it comes to design, the tools make it easy, and you'll see soon enough, that with the responsive layout maker, you don't have to make many adjustments when it comes to responsive columns, or widths. I really think that's a cool website you have G'Kar, did you go to school for photography? Just asking, since those pictures you posted were absolutely beautiful. Anyhow, i'm off to BB program to try and fix some problems i'm having within my own site :)

PS , Jo Ann .. you truly are everywhere aren't you?!
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

UncleMap wrote:
G'Kar , i'm sorry to hear that your wife is ill man, I really hope she gets better.

Web design is constantly changing, I myself don't have to go far to see the differences in designs since CC provides me all the latest information that I need when it comes to design :). I work with team websites here and there, although most of my friends and family members are gamers, there are a few programmers, and designers within. I think that CC has the best software out there when it comes to design, the tools make it easy, and you'll see soon enough, that with the responsive layout maker, you don't have to make many adjustments when it comes to responsive columns, or widths. I really think that's a cool website you have G'Kar, did you go to school for photography? Just asking, since those pictures you posted were absolutely beautiful. Anyhow, i'm off to BB program to try and fix some problems i'm having within my own site :)

PS , Jo Ann .. you truly are everywhere aren't you?!

Thanks about the comments about my wife, yeah she's a good girl but gets very ill, hopefully better times are ahead.

Probably best working with a team, then you can bounce ideas off each other and different skill sets are always interesting. The site you got there really rocks, love the graphics.

No I don't come from a photography background, but I do tutorials on night work on youtube, nightshooter87 trial and lots of errors to master it, but it's something I've done for years and I still make mistakes but not as many as before, just a hobby really. I come from art and design background, you know drawing and painting, but I've never mastered digital art, but the programs Amberlight and Flame Painter by EscapeMotions are great tools, they ask me to do the videos for them as well.
The web design bug for me came about 12 yrs ago. I had suffered a nasty case of Hepatitis which I still have enzymes to and I had to try and look for something I could do from home. So I found a distance learning course here in England which was "web design and web programming" it didn't show me how to design if I'm honest, just the code of HTML and CSS, then came the programming in Javascript, boy was that difficult. It was programming games and apps like calculators, color pickers, quiz games, anagrams, lottery games and hangman etc etc I could program just about anything and even built desktop apps, yeah bet you didn't know you could do that :P with Javascript using the .HTA file format, which stands for hypertext application. My brain was fried but I passed the course. This was in the days of IE and Netscape only, there wasn't Chrome or Safari or Opera. I made little money from it and it's always been the same but was keep trying to teach myself, I learned VBscript which was OK for then , but then after DHTML radical changes have taken place things like Jquery, HTML5 and CSS3 which is the way it's meant to be but I have to admit there's people on here that will no more, a lot more about these than me and I'm willing to learn. I don't like the idea of Flash becoming dead, there's nothing I've seen to replace it, HTML5 still needs an engine to drive it which is Javascript/Jquery and that's never as cool as Flash. I've never been any good with Flash personally but when it's done in a skilled hands, man it's good.

Yeah man CC I've been with for years, I don't agree with everything they've done as I'm sure they are aware :lol::cool: but they mean well. The RLM I'm really looking forward to. The HTML editor is fantastic, the web form creator, I haven't bought it yet, but I've played around is another top program. We also when being critical have to look at how the net has changed, CC would never like all of us seen these changes and have done the tech in the main to what is there at the time, who knows where it will go next

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I am also very sorry to hear about your wife being ill G'Kar, I hope for better times ahead for you as well.
I'm also somewhat in the same boat with you with html5 and css3 as it's taking me a bit to get my head around some of it. Responsive layout well.... that's another whole creature that will take some time to get the hang of for me too, but I'll just keep plugging away at it and see where it goes. Easy enough to use premade themes and alter them of course, but it's not the same as creating one yourself and I need to just do it and quit thinking about it lol.

Hang in there, as time comes and goes you'll learn more on the new stuff too. :)
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

G'Kar,

Thanks for the well wishes. I can certainly sympathize with you and hope you are both are doing as well as you can. I wish you and your wife the best. I've never really gone through a serious illness/injury up to this point and it's all new to me. I'm just trying to cope and keep hope alive till they figure out the problem or at least a solution.

I too started out as a programmer and know a little about C++, Pascal, and Basic. Never really made the jump to VB although I bought it and have several books on it. That's my main tutorial mode. Books. I have hundreds of books on many topics. I did start on HTML/CSS but then discovered the WYSIWYG programs and decided to go that route for convenience. I really need to make the effort to get deeper into HTML5/CSS3 and already have the programs and books to do it (thanks to all here for book suggestions on the 'Missing Manuals') but time is always against me with my job. I seem to have some time now, just no concentration. Maybe when they get my meds right I'll have time. Will probably not be able to return to work for a couple of months. We'll see.

On another note, my sister-in-law is a professional photographer in southern Mississippi. I took a quick look at your site and loved the pics there. Especially the moon shots. I'm something of an amateur astronomer myself. I have several telescopes. She wanted to get into astral photography a while back and I lent her a 10" scope I had hoping for some really good shots. She bought the the attachments for her camera as well as the EQ mount and wedge needed for auto tracking. I just can't seem to get her to go out and shoot the pictures! Oh well, maybe someday . . .:cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
I am also very sorry to hear about your wife being ill G'Kar, I hope for better times ahead for you as well.
I'm also somewhat in the same boat with you with html5 and css3 as it's taking me a bit to get my head around some of it. Responsive layout well.... that's another whole creature that will take some time to get the hang of for me too, but I'll just keep plugging away at it and see where it goes. Easy enough to use premade themes and alter them of course, but it's not the same as creating one yourself and I need to just do it and quit thinking about it lol.

Hang in there, as time comes and goes you'll learn more on the new stuff too. :)

Ha ha yeah absolutely you think right I've got the hang of that technology and then bang something else comes out and it's the learning process again. Do you get many clients ask for responsive layout Jo Ann?

Yes for me everything is bespoke, not that themes don't have their place of course. But there is something about building a site and thinking oh that's ok, then I get oh I could have done this and that differently.
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Yes Gunsmoke you just got to take it easy for now, illness does take some getting used to, if in fact you ever do.

I've got books on CSS3/HTML5 this manual has got about 500 pages in, I did about a quarter of the book and got bored. I tried to read it from start to finish, which is not the best idea if you know CSS2 because quite a lot of it's similar, so I'm going to try and use it has a reference book. I got it a few years ago when it was just coming out, but it doesn't have a lot about media queries which are all the rage now, with mobile/tablet devices and the change from everyone using IE once over to hardly anyone using it.

Your sister in law has to get out there and get some sky shots. Moon shots are a real paradox because it has it's own light esp full moon, so it takes a fast shutter speed, whereas anything else at night is slow. I'm trying to get star trails of late, but not much success. Where I live is pretty rural so there's not much light, so it's definitely possible to get star trails
User 2924428 Photo

1,718 posts

Thank you for the compliments on my site G'Kar, it's the actual first real project i've ever done, and not yet completed!

So you know VB and Javascript of sorts? Did you know that HTML5 is developing code similar to those scripts to be able to create video games, i'm talking REAL video games played through a browser? Not like FB video games, real FPS style, they just figured out.. oh i'd say about 6 months ago that this was possible, and that web browsers allow for better gameplay than some platforms out there. I think that HTML5 and CSS3 are the best things to happen to the web so far. Anyhow I think the CC team that is building up here is a great one, and they are very friendly and kind to their customers. I enjoy my stay here as i've built somewhat of a nest, the only one i've ever built.. and am fine where i'm at.

I am going to school for web design, but they are putting me through the whole sha-bang. Right now i'm learning how to write Pseudocode and after this course I move on the Photoshop. Perhaps i'll need some assistance with that, I own all of the adobe programs through a student monthly payment, but I rarely open them. Thanks to Gunsmoke I have a designer that will do pretty much everything for me when it comes to graphics.

Whelp, it's saturday and I am three chapters behind on my class.. I have to get focused and begin this beast of a chapter.
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

UncleMap wrote:
Thank you for the compliments on my site G'Kar, it's the actual first real project i've ever done, and not yet completed!

So you know VB and Javascript of sorts? Did you know that HTML5 is developing code similar to those scripts to be able to create video games, i'm talking REAL video games played through a browser? Not like FB video games, real FPS style, they just figured out.. oh i'd say about 6 months ago that this was possible, and that web browsers allow for better gameplay than some platforms out there. I think that HTML5 and CSS3 are the best things to happen to the web so far. Anyhow I think the CC team that is building up here is a great one, and they are very friendly and kind to their customers. I enjoy my stay here as i've built somewhat of a nest, the only one i've ever built.. and am fine where i'm at.

I am going to school for web design, but they are putting me through the whole sha-bang. Right now i'm learning how to write Pseudocode and after this course I move on the Photoshop. Perhaps i'll need some assistance with that, I own all of the adobe programs through a student monthly payment, but I rarely open them. Thanks to Gunsmoke I have a designer that will do pretty much everything for me when it comes to graphics.

Whelp, it's saturday and I am three chapters behind on my class.. I have to get focused and begin this beast of a chapter.

Weirdly enough I've just been reading about game design, using something called unity? don't know if you've heard of it. There are some people that can do amazing things with CSS3 animations - not fully fledged games as yet, but not all browsers support them. It's an exciting time what technology are you guys using? I did animation games in DHTML I've got a site called DHTMLrocks from yesteryear but I can't get into the host and I've had a lot of problems with the company that hosts the site, so when I've updated the games and programs I can't, although I can do it with another company when I can be bothered. I've got about 8 programs up there, but I've done a lot more, the last game I did was planes bombing a submarine LOL but getting cross browser is difficult, it's dying language. I am so excited about the new stuff if it comes off it will be great.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.