Rebuilding Old ebsite HTML Editor...

User 484408 Photo

63 posts

My old website www.medset.ca built on HTML Editor needs a rewrite.
Already purchased HTML 15 but not downloaded yet.

Some questions ( there probably will be lots more)

1. Is HTML Editor my best option? I can still switch if necessary.

2. Are there any addons that I should start using during development? fro example "Forms"

3. Is it possible for two persons to develop the website on different computers. Not at the same time but different locations, one on Windows 10, one on Windows 7.

Any suggestions, tips will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

1. If you know your way around modern html and css, I'd say that the HTML Editor is a very good choice. You will be in control all the time, as the programme does what you tell it to do, no more, no less.
If however, you want to take advantage of the newly released responsive programmes that Coffeecup has been launching over the last 2-3 years, you could take a look at Responsive layout maker, Responsive Site designer, Responsive Foundation Framer of Responsive Bootstrap Builder (the order in which they are mentioned is the sequence of their being launched, no preference). You can download trials for playing with. You may find that the way of thinking is somewhat different compared with plain coding. There will always be someone here who will be able to answer you querstions.

2. Coffeecup does not operate with 'add-ons', they have standalone programmes. There is a Responsive form builder, a responsive slide show creator, a responsive menu builder, just to mention some.

3. In theory it is possible for more than one person to edit a site, but practically you wll be exposing yourself to all sorts of problems. If you and someone else want to have a go at it, it would be best to use a programme like the HTML Editor. Your friend also needs a similar, straight-forward programme, but not necessarily the same one. And every time one of you wants to edit something, you first need to download the whole site in case there has been a change since you last were working on it.
In case of one of the responsive progs, you both need the same programme and the same version of it. And each of those programmes has its own file system, which then has to be uploaded, so that the other person can find and download it before starting.
We have actually been doing some of this in the forums, check especially the RSD and RFF forums to see some examples. Users have posted their master file, and some of us have helped by editing some bits of it.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 303390 Photo

97 posts

Since over half the internet is viewed using mobile or tablet, it is time for your site to become responsive.
As mentioned above, your best bet is to use one of the new responsive programs from Coffeecup.
Both Foundation and Bootstrap are great choices and lots of websites are created using them.
I personally use many methods to create websites, including Coffeecup's RSD,RFF, and RBB and HTML editor from Coffeecup; also use Sublime editor and Wordpress.
Bootstrap is used on the most websites and has a huge following on the internet with lots of videos and examples.

Saving your website files to a shared folder on a cloud would allow both people to use it.

Nice to see another Canadian in the forum.
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

You might get familiar with a Version Control option:
https://git-scm.com/
This will keep you from over-writing each other's work and allow you to revert to a previous version if something goes wonky.

As for the Editor, you can build responsive sites within it using your preferred grid or frame work. You can also create a responsive grid/layout in Resp. Site Designer, then import it into the Editor to finish it off, or – if you have an interest in Foundation or Bootstrap (frame works), get going quickly with one of the CC apps to ease the process.

2. Are there any addons that I should start using during development? fro example "Forms"
You can use CC's FormBuilder as well as any of its other free-standing apps (Content Slider, Menu Builder...) with the Editor, or you can write/add code for forms and other website functions/features.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 484408 Photo

63 posts

thanks all for the feedback.

Unfortunately I have not kept pace with the latest developments. what are the major differences between Editor and Responsive Site Designer?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

With the HTML Editor you do the coding yourself, alternatively you can download a responsive grid system from either Foundation or Bootstrap, ans then add the contents yourself. Those grid systems contain all the bits and bobs to make a site responsive. The files may be edited in any html code programme.

The Responsive site designer uses a grid system developed by Coffeecup called 'coffeegrinder'. It works the same way as the two other ones mentioned. You can use it and just drag and drop contents, with minimal coding. Your project is saved with the extension .rsd and can only be opened in RSD. When you have done your work, you export the project to normal html/css/js files. After it has been exported, you can edit the files in the HTML Editor, but you will not be able to take it back into RSD.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 97386 Photo

2 posts

We have to rebuild our two sites to responsive. When will the new individual themes be available? And will they be available in html / css?
I would like to base my new designs on ready-made responsive themes, but I still want to work in HTML Editor :) I need themes where I can make changes in backgrounds, elements, colors and fonts, customize the menu a little bit and replace / add some features (such as an event calendar and a countdown timer).
I am happy to shop individual themes as long as they are responsive, look fantastic on computers, tablets and smartphones and give me complete freedom for adjustments. Both one page and multiple pages, but flat design rather than too heavy. With a 104 Error page included.
Pleeease? I've almost got arc eyes because I've been staring at your "Coming soon" sun for a long time now :lol::cool:
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

If you are going to use the HTML Editor, you may actually shop for a template anywhere, as long as it consists of html, css and possibly js files. All those can be edited in the HTML Editor.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Oh, and make sure you get a responsive template!

Hilsen fra Arendal. ;)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Bèrghem.no wrote:
We have to rebuild our two sites to responsive. When will the new individual themes be available? And will they be available in html / css?
I would like to base my new designs on ready-made responsive themes, but I still want to work in HTML Editor :) I need themes where I can make changes in backgrounds, elements, colors and fonts, customize the menu a little bit and replace / add some features (such as an event calendar and a countdown timer).
I am happy to shop individual themes as long as they are responsive, look fantastic on computers, tablets and smartphones and give me complete freedom for adjustments. Both one page and multiple pages, but flat design rather than too heavy. With a 104 Error page included.
Pleeease? I've almost got arc eyes because I've been staring at your "Coming soon" sun for a long time now :lol::cool:

templatemo.com have a lot of free templates which are fully editable/customable (also premium ones that are paid) as Inger says there are many others out there,,
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.