not using my default browser - Post...

User 374719 Photo

4 posts

Double click any html shortcut and IE opens the webpage for that shortcut. I deliberately opened Firefox then on Google search found a website that I had never looked at. Opened that in Firefox then saved the url as a shortcut to my desktop. Then closed Firefox. Then double-clicked that shortcut and the same webpage opened but this time automatically in IE browser. IE is my default browser not Firefox. The HTML editor however does not recognise IE as the default browser, opening up Firefox instead by <CTRL>F9
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

hmm, a few others of us testers had an issue with this too, but reassociating the files fixed it for the most part. Here's what I would suggest to try, tedious I know, but it might work. Might not too, but worth a try.

- Associate your files with Firefox.
- Use ccleaner to clean your system's temp files and browser cache ( http://piriform.com/ccleaner )
- Reboot your system
- Open an HTML file and assure that it opens with Firefox.
- Now do the same exact steps you just did, but set the file to IE not Firefox.

Please let me know if that works, if not you may need to put in a ticket unless Scott has some ideas to try and posts them here. I think a few of us had to go into the registry and remove the setting, but I could be wrong, that may have been for a different issue in testing so don't quote me on it.

Hope that works for you and let us know :)
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

Well I am stumped. I suppose the Registry could be switching for unique occasions but I have in all the years never experienced that but strange things happen. I would agree with Jo's suggestion. I will look at my HTML editors structure in my registry. You certainly seemed to prove your point Norman Yes you proved IE as default now your copy of the Editor is doing something mine wont. That is odd. So your copy is choosing Firefox as default overriding the correct default. Curious. Defiantly like to get at the bottom of this.
The Guy from OZ

User 2745304 Photo

2 posts

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? My variation is that the Editor wants to use Opera as the default browser. I have tried all of the variations described by others and can't find the issue. If I uninstall Opera, it finds my normal default - Chrome. As soon as I re-install Opera, it wants to use Opera. This is maddening. Any ideas? Thanks.
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,181 posts

How about reinstalling Chrome?
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 2745304 Photo

2 posts

Thanks for getting back to me.

Reinstalled Chrome also. No joy. However, things do get a bit stranger.

Earlier, I had renamed the Opera browser exe file to Xlauncher.exe and that allowed my default browser (chrome) to be the default for the editor.

Then, I set Firefox as my default browser (In Firefox and Windows) and it became my default browser in the editor, which is good.
Then I reset my system default browser to Chrome. However, the editor insists on launching Firefox as my default. According to Windows, Chrome is my default for everything. According to Chrome it is my default browser Firefox is not a default for anything. Also, FWIW, I rem=named the Opera exe back to the original and it is behaving normally. No problem now with Opera.

I looked through the ini files in the editor settings folder and could not find anything relevant. I did a quick wander about in the registry and nothing jumped out at me. Strange.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.