Question FF-2.5 - Post ID 281171

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Hello all,
I have FF 2.5 build 511 and just wondering if anyone thinks that it still okay to use as not sure if CC is going to update it as the stand alone app I have?? I know SDV3 is the way of the future with the new Grid and one has the choices in SD3 such as FF BS etc.

Since FF 2.5 has the rows - columns vs SDV3 with containers, would staying for the time being with FF-2.5 build 511 or actually only use that one cause me any real problems or should I try and only use SD3???
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
Since 1994 Chocolate bar wrappers for all occasions.
Since 1972 helping clients help "Discover Their Dream Vacation"
User 2903050 Photo

260 posts

From my point of view, irrespective of using the full possibilities of grid, using containers instead of rows and columns is so much easier and more intuitive. Regards Phil
User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Phil Dias wrote:
From my point of view, irrespective of using the full possibilities of grid, using containers instead of rows and columns is so much easier and more intuitive. Regards Phil

Thanks for your point of view much appreciated, just when I was finally getting use to row & columns :) but learning to do things easier is a good thing.
Thanks, Ray
Ray aka Kreations
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Ray wrote:
Hello all,
I have FF 2.5 build 511 and just wondering if anyone thinks that it still okay to use as not sure if CC is going to update it as the stand alone app I have?? I know SDV3 is the way of the future with the new Grid and one has the choices in SD3 such as FF BS etc.

Since FF 2.5 has the rows - columns vs SDV3 with containers, would be staying for the time being with FF-2.5 build 511 or actually only use that one cause me any real problems or should I try and only use SD3???
Ray

Hi Ray I an just using RFF only, I have SDV3 but not yet even opened it, too many bugs things not right etc (already updated 3 times I think(
As to being the think of the future (grid thingy, I suspect I will be long gone from this mortal coil before it is THE ONE & ONLY thing for the web, so for the immediate future, it's RFF for me,

& I am still not really clear on what the difference between rows/columns & just containers is as to how it can be easier, to me it is the same principle just different names.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Wayan, one advantage I've found: In RFF you have the row as the top thingie, but it can't be set to display flex. In SD3 the top thingie is a container, and it can indeed be set to display flex. I have not messed with grids yet, only flex positioning so far.

Ray, I think RSD, RFF and RBB will still have a shelf life for quite some time. Just imagine this converting process. I've been doing a fair amount of that to make the stuff in my component library SD3 palatable. If I have one page only, and if I just used one row with several columns when I built it first time around, it is fairly straight forward to convert it. But just think of people with sites of hundreds of pages! They would have to go through that page by page! Even my honey site, with just 11 pages, is too much of a hassle for me to convert. When I make new stuff, I may try to use SD3, but my old sites stay as they are, unless some client insists (and pays for it!).
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Hi Ray I an just using RFF only, I have SDV3 but not yet even opened it, too many bugs things not right etc (already updated 3 times I think(
As to being the think of the future (grid thingy, I suspect I will be long gone from this mortal coil before it is THE ONE & ONLY thing for the web, so for the immediate future, it's RFF for me, & I am still not really clear on what the difference between rows/columns & just containers is as to how it can be easier, to me it is the same principle just different names.

Hello Wayan from Bali,
Thanks I am starting to think the same thing also, come the future that is all it will be but for the time being I guess it will be RFF when updating but will practice SD3 as time permits.
I appreciate you taking time to reply.
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Ray, I think RSD, RFF and RBB will still have a shelf life for quite some time. Just imagine this converting process. I've been doing a fair amount of that to make the stuff in my component library SD3 palatable. If I have one page only, and if I just used one row with several columns when I built it first time around, it is fairly straight forward to convert it. But just think of people with sites of hundreds of pages! They would have to go through that page by page! Even my honey site, with just 11 pages, is too much of a hassle for me to convert. When I make new stuff, I may try to use SD3, but my old sites stay as they are, unless some client insists (and pays for it!).

Hello Inger,
If an expert like you has a hassle than I don't at this point stand a chance trying to convert my 62 page 1.5 site to SD3 :(
Believe me I have been trying but between trying to get the menu thing to work even with help from you and many others ( I thank each one of them also) guess best to use RFF and practice when I get a chance more with SD3 .

Hopefully CC will also update RFF in the future.
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Inger
Wayan, one advantage I've found: In RFF you have the row as the top thingie, but it can't be set to display flex. In SD3 the top thingie is a container, and it can indeed be set to display flex.

Well if that's the only advantage then I can live without that ability to have a row flexed, have managed so far I am sure I can continue to manage for some time to come yet. :D
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

There might be more, only that I haven't discovered them yet. I'm only scratching the surface so far... ;)
Oh, one more advantage: Earlier, if you created a row, it always came with a column inside. Now, with containers, you don't need that double set of entities, just a container, and you can start filling it with content elements.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Inger wrote:
There might be more, only that I haven't discovered them yet. I'm only scratching the surface so far... ;)
Oh, one more advantage: Earlier, if you created a row, it always came with a column inside. Now, with containers, you don't need that double set of entities, just a container, and you can start filling it with content elements.

well at the risk of sounding pedantic, one could just start filling the column with elements.
I am just saying that Phil said that using containers instead of rows & columns is more intuitive, I just don't see how that can be.
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.