Server Config File - Post ID 100630

User 31159 Photo

24 posts

I installed Windows 7. No one told me Direct FTP does not work with 64 bit Windows 7. Is there a way to get that server config file we discussed earlier as a text file so I can painfully copy the information to another program that does work?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Cheryl,

Have you tried setting it to Windows XP compatibility? Right click the shortcut to the program (in this case Direct FTP) and then choose Properties. On the window that opens choose the Compatibility tab. You'll see a drop down menu with a checkbox to set it to compatibility. Put a check in the box, and choose Windows XP in the drop down and see if that fixes your problem. Let us know also for if that don't work, someone else may already know the fix to make it work :)
User 31159 Photo

24 posts

That's what support suggested but it didn't work. I tried all the variations of XP. I also tried Vista without success. Later I went back and tried Vista Service Pack 1 instead of 2 and that works. It's sluggish but it works. I'll take it for now.

I do think they need to make it clear that the programs may not work on 64 bit in general. They worked for me on 64 bit Vista so it never crossed my mind that Win 7 would be a problem.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

cheryl rothwell wrote:
That's what support suggested but it didn't work. I tried all the variations of XP. I also tried Vista without success. Later I went back and tried Vista Service Pack 1 instead of 2 and that works. It's sluggish but it works. I'll take it for now.

I do think they need to make it clear that the programs may not work on 64 bit in general. They worked for me on 64 bit Vista so it never crossed my mind that Win 7 would be a problem.

We do. It is on every page throughout our Website:
http://www.coffeecup.com/direct-ftp

7 (32-bit), Vista (32-bit), XP (32-bit)

You can also find it here at https://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles … ws-64-bit/
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 3004957 Photo

851 posts

You could also install Microsoft Virtual Machine and run the software, a lot of hassle I know but a workaround none-the-less.

Dave.
User 31159 Photo

24 posts

I think it needs to say NOT for 64 bit. Leaving it out could be a proofing error. I've been dealing with 64 bit for 18 months and I am used to see disclaimers. :/ No disclaimer here. Also, it worked just fine on 64 bit Vista so it never crossed my mind it wouldn't like Win7.

However, I purchased my FTP and HTML a long, long time ago. I upgrade when I get an email so I have never been to those pages.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

cheryl rothwell wrote:
I think it needs to say NOT for 64 bit. Leaving it out could be a proofing error. I've been dealing with 64 bit for 18 months and I am used to see disclaimers. :/ No disclaimer here. Also, it worked just fine on 64 bit Vista so it never crossed my mind it wouldn't like Win7.

However, I purchased my FTP and HTML a long, long time ago. I upgrade when I get an email so I have never been to those pages.

If I went that way, this means our software could work under BeOS, Windows 3.1, Microsoft Bob and WinNT 3.0 ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.