How do I know what port to set in...

User 1418331 Photo

2 posts

Hi:

I'm hoping that somebody can help me with this problem.

I've been using Direct FTP for awhile now just purchased the current Direct FTP. Myself, I'm having no problems going into any of my sites and transferring files.

My employee has downloaded a trial version of Direct FTP today and I'm trying to get her set up so that she can work from home. I gave her all of the information that she needs to get into the site. The site opens fine for her, but she can't open any of the folders to transfer files.

We've obviously set something up wrong. Both of us are working with the Windows XP system. She added Direct FTP to her firewall as one of the excepted programs.

I'm guessing here that she has to set a different Port for her pc than the one that I gave her. Mine opens with Port 21. I have know idea where to find the information for what Port her pc has to be set to. Is there anybody you can help us with this?

Would there be any reason why she can't open any of the folders?

Please excuse my ignorance with this subject. Webmaster, I am not. Just hope to push the right buttons to set things up and I've been lucky so far.

Thanks in advance,

Micki
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Micki,

Port 21 should be ok if it works for you it should work for her. Did you create a separate account for her for FTP or is she using the same login and password you're using? If it's different you may need to check that the files and folders have the correct permissions for her to access them.
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

I've never had to set a port on DirectFTP...

Are you referring to the port setting in the proxy tab? That's the only place I can find a setting adjustment, and mine is set to 0 with all other boxes on that tab being empty. I don't use, nor do I really know much about proxy settings (too much to learn already, without throwing in stuff I don't have active).
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Port 21 is the standard on the web server for FTP. The local PC has nothing to do with it.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 1418331 Photo

2 posts

Hi:

No...I didn't set up a seperate account for her. Really don't know how to do that. All I did was give her my information. She put everything in exactly like I have it.

It's strange, all of my files come up on her computer. She can drag and drop a file, but she can't open any of the folders. I can open the folders on my pc and drag my files into them.

What are we doing wrong? Why can't she do the same.

Sorry, but I am confused:-(

Micki
User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

Port 21 is the standard for basic server. You only use other ports when you have advance server capabilities. :D
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

My Personal Website: http://www.EricSEnglish.com

User 1875922 Photo

48 posts

Micki wrote:
Hi:

I'm hoping that somebody can help me with this problem.

I've been using Direct FTP for awhile now just purchased the current Direct FTP. Myself, I'm having no problems going into any of my sites and transferring files.

My employee has downloaded a trial version of Direct FTP today and I'm trying to get her set up so that she can work from home. I gave her all of the information that she needs to get into the site. The site opens fine for her, but she can't open any of the folders to transfer files.

We've obviously set something up wrong. Both of us are working with the Windows XP system. She added Direct FTP to her firewall as one of the excepted programs.

I'm guessing here that she has to set a different Port for her pc than the one that I gave her. Mine opens with Port 21. I have know idea where to find the information for what Port her pc has to be set to. Is there anybody you can help us with this?

Would there be any reason why she can't open any of the folders?

Please excuse my ignorance with this subject. Webmaster, I am not. Just hope to push the right buttons to set things up and I've been lucky so far.

Thanks in advance,

Micki

Hi Micki,

Port 21 as Jo has said is the standard ftp port. The only other port to be used would be for secure ftp, but as 21 works for you then that is all that is needed. Also, file permissions should be fine if she is using your login. Make sure you do not have any of the files open on your computer when she is wanting to access them as this would cause a file lock situation. To acheive this, I suggest that you close down cc ftp and then get her to access the files.
--
Jeff Wilson

61 409801950 jeff@bizzdesign.com.au

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.