Free FTP exits after splash and...

User 484796 Photo

8 posts

Hi Scott -
I deleted the Sharedsettings.ccs file then reinstalled FreeFTP and had it start up when install completed. It worked fine to set up a site and connect. When I shut it down the closing message referred to Direct FTP (screen gran attached). Why was that do you suppose? I do not have Direct FTP on my system only Free FTP. Do the two share the same code base and messages? The next time I tried to start up Coffee Cup Free FTP it failed as described in my first post - flashes splash screen and enter server password window for a few seconds then disappears without opening full application. Yet when I check Task Manager, the application appears to be running (second screen grab) without showing on the task bar.
Attachments:
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Direct FTP and Free FTP share the same settings. If you ever installed Direct FTP at one time you probably password protected your servers without knowing it, this is why you ran into this issue.

The screen shot ccup_first_launch_lo.jpg just means "Are you sure you want to disconnect". It is only a warning because you are connected to a server. You will see this each time you exit the program without disconnecting first. Try disconnecting first and then exit the program.

Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 484796 Photo

8 posts

Scott -
In my recollection I have never installed Direct FTP on this machine - I just use the ftp plugin built into Servant Salamander. I am not sure either what you mean by "password protected your servers without knowing it" - my local machine is not what I would call a server either for ftp or http - I only use it to access those sorts of servers on other machines out on the web.

I dug around in Program Files\Coffee Cup Software and found the folder for the FreeFTP version (3.0.0.11) that came with the Coffee cup HTML editor 2008. I launched that, defined a site, connected, exited the application, then restarted it (version 3) and it worked fine. So apparently the changes made for version 4 of Free FTP have made it less robust and stable. Sorry to report this.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

So things are now working then?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 484796 Photo

8 posts

Scott -
As I have summarized in previous posts Coffee Cup FreeFTP version 4 is mysteriously NOT working for me under XP Pro SP3 so I cannot suggest it as a free ftp client to my father-in-law. Version 3 of Coffee Cup FreeFTP that came with Coffee Cup HTML editor 2008 is not available to download.

I wonder if the problems I am seeing with Free FTP 4 are related to problems reported in a recent Direct FTP thread : http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/our-des … rs-needed/ where posters have indicated disappointing impressions such as:
"I've been having problems with the current version choking on a XP OS error and closing on me"

"I have problems with both XP and Vista systems. It freezes up or does not always upload all the files."

"I have trouble in windows xp with the current version,"

User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Free FTP and Direct FTP are two completely different programs. One would not have anything to do with the other. I say format that computer or call a priest ;)
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

TOLD YOU I WAS CURSED.:lol:

User 144025 Photo

32 posts

Hey guys,

I normally don't use Free FTP, now using 6.6, but I tried and tested Free FTP for some having problems in the FAQ section. I had a friend that had a similar problem as Hugh. When I checked the program on his computer, I found the reason for the problem. It was a worm. May have been the banker worm (don't really remember). Once I cleaned his pc of the virus, the FTP worked fine. Just double checked with him and he is using version 4.

Might try it. Just a thought.
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good mouse.

Rick

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.