CoffeeCup FTP Reduces My Files To 0kb...

User 175928 Photo

Trial User
2 posts

Hi,

I have noticed dozens of files on my website have a 0kb filesize.

Further investigation has demonstrated that I can use CoffeeCup FTP software to download individual files and folders without problem but, when the entire site is downloaded, dozens of files get set to 0kb.

This happens for html, pdf, swf, jpg, gif and other file formats. I'm using the "auto" setting rather than binary or ascii.

I've lost a lot of valuable work and time as a result of downloading the site and, without noticing the filesizes, re-uploading it afte changes. I'll be looking elsewhere for FTP software in future.
User 157175 Photo

58 posts

I havent had this problem b4, ive had other probs with FTP, but im hoping they will release an update soon...
aka. Mark Davies
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Just making sure I have this right. Files get set to zero kb when "downloading" to your computer? That's really weird. It'd bad enough if you were uploading, but downloading doesn't make much sense since they're shouldn't be overwriting involved. Which program is this exactly? I ask because you said "Coffeecup FTP" but there's Direct FTP, Free FTP, and most programs have their own internal FTP.
User 175928 Photo

Trial User
2 posts

Hi,

The problem definately occurred downloading from the site rather than uploading to the site.

I was using the free version of the FTP software.
User 138688 Photo

242 posts

I have had similar problems with both CC ftp and filezilla. It seems to be dependant on how many files I try to upload at once. Size seems less important than quantity. It is also time dependant as well. I have tried up to 40 or 80 or 160 or 200 files in the past and had all kinds of problems. Now I do batches of ten and refresh/reconnect between batches. These programs will time out on you and the longest times in CCFTP aren't long enough for huge uploads.
Tom Mooney

User 6573 Photo

Ambassador
2,649 posts

henrys court wrote:
Hi,

The problem definately occurred downloading from the site rather than uploading to the site.

I was using the free version of the FTP software.

I am having the same problem - only I used my successfully for months with no problems. Now all of a sudden I have the problem with one file or several and some timing out issues. But it is random. I have lost work also. Someone mentioned to me to make sure my firewall was not conflicting and making the files zero when they downloaded. But I don't think it is the problem because it is random and I can use other ftp programs and it works fine. Right now it is functioning fine. HOWEVER the first time I have a problem I am going to call support and see if they can work it out with me. Problem I have had is when I have the time to call support it starts functioning fine. So I am waiting. HEEEE One thing I started doing is I created a dump directory and when I need to download a file off a server I stick it there to make sure it is correct before writing it over my old file on my hard drive. Extra step but saves me time if it starts acting up. Its a temp fix until I get answers.

Kim :)

User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

I'm curious if those with the 0kb issue are using ZoneAlarm. Seems like that's been a common issue with several apps not functioning correctly.
User 6573 Photo

Ambassador
2,649 posts

Adam Richesin wrote:
I'm curious if those with the 0kb issue are using ZoneAlarm. Seems like that's been a common issue with several apps not functioning correctly.

No not using ZoneAlarm. Also checked and my firewall is not blocking anything from CC. The random working and not working is what has got me puzzled. Nothing has changed on my internet company - been using the same company since 1998 and everything seems to check out fine. But I will do some more research. Something has had to change or be changing because it worked fine for a long time.

Kim

User 6573 Photo

Ambassador
2,649 posts

Eskil Fagerlund wrote:
Hello!

I have explained to you above my experience with CC:s FTP uploader and that I was suspecting the broadband company B as a reason why my other FTP uploader was not working as it should.

And I can tell you that today, when the company B took of their firewall from my connection the CC:s FTP Uploader started to work 100%.

So, why did they have this firewall running in the background?
They told me that ordinary surfers don´t observe there is an extra firewall involved and they only want to protect their customers.
But, but it was filterering FTP connections in a kinky way.

Yes! For me is the issue closed.

I hope you can find for your self why your FTP uploader isn´t working.
There is nothing wrong with the program it´s the surroundings that make you the trouble.

Good luck and never give up!

Eskil

Yes I will never give up until I find the problem... I am so glad you found yours.

I been testing on my lap top today and it is working fine. So it has to be some settings on my pc. So I am on my way back to using my pc and hopefully I will get it resolved.

Kim :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.