local host publishing - Post ID 267822

User 2110889 Photo

17 posts

This seems a bit silly, but I'm a moron so hang on. How do I publish a site from VSD to my testing server (xampp) as local host. Tried every way of naming the server I can think of, backslash, front slash, IP, localhost, hey you, dagnabit, http:\\localhost\sitename.com\, 127.0.0.1\sitename.com, etc.etc. Gotta be something simple, but I'm a ...like I said.
Thanks
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
http://www.photophart.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Why not do it the easy way. Just save your site to that folder instead ?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2110889 Photo

17 posts

Um....duh,
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
http://www.photophart.com
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

If xampp is the same as Wamp that I use then drop your Site folder into that directory then use your local host browser to view.\
ie and I use Wamp
C:\Wamp\www\MySite
xamp must have a similar layout

Post your results Mark. It could help others or if stuck give the folder structure ie C:\xampp\whatever
The Guy from OZ

User 2854466 Photo

21 posts

Hi there Scott,

Glad I found this post! Just to reiterate (and i know how things are constantly changing especially as this is dated 5 years ago now.)...

As I am keen to experiment with using sliders and whatever else i want to test out, i also have Xampp on my pc using it as my localhost server whilst trying things out with Wordpress as well. Here is my setup on my C drive, these folders are in the htdocs.
So what do I do for Coffeecup? Do I just save a website to a new folder in the same section where the other folders are in htdocs? I am not sure what process i need to do or is it more simple than I think like just making another folder like I said?
[like Prism has mentioned]

The difference is that I know i had to do some other processes via PHPadmin when preparing the folders for Wordpress.

Thank you

Attachments:
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

I tried using Xampp on my pc and for me it's easier to use my test domain. At least if there's anything with the server side you'll know that before putting up a live site and then having to fix it 'on the fly'.

Just my two cents worth (and maybe the way my brain operates). :D
A Rose is Just a Weed in a Corn Patch!
User 2854466 Photo

21 posts

Thanks Ernie,

Actually after a few tries i found it wasn't too hard to make a local server using Xampp, as for CC Scott just recommended I try the S-Drive, I wasn't really aware of it as i hadn't looked into the S_Drive yet. If it's that easy i will perhaps invest in it later.
[but also it isn't that hard to just make up a folder in xampp/htdocs/ as i thought too. We'll see what works best for me. I haven't got there yet.

Thanks for your comment :)
User 2854466 Photo

21 posts

So......if I am to use S-Drive and I use the free version, it says one web address. Does that mean i can test one website, delete it and then try another website? Is that possible, or only 1 and that's it?
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Carina wrote:
So......if I am to use S-Drive and I use the free version, it says one web address. Does that mean i can test one website, delete it and then try another website?

Yes, I've used my free one (http://fc7777.coffeecup.com/) for various things. One just has to keep within the space limit, which I find more than ample.

Frank
User 2854466 Photo

21 posts

Hi Frank,

Thanks for that, but does that mean each time you just enter your new website name and then delete it again after checking the site?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.