How do I insert a vertical line? -...

User 2897594 Photo

322 posts

I want to insert a vertical line to separate three pieces of text in columns on the page, how do I do it? I tried using object, but it didn't work well.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Janet,

Did you try the shapes? One of the shapes looks like a diagonal line, but I think it will go any way you drag it. Once in place, you can set the width and height of the line as well as the angle of the line.

If you make the line think enough, you can see the corner spots to click and drag to the angle you want.
User 2897594 Photo

322 posts

Hi, sorry to come back to this after a while, but I tried it again tonight. I just want a thin dividing line, filled with a purple colour. However, I can make the line, but the fill colour only fills about an inch over the centre of the line, I can't get it to fill all the way up and down?
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

You could use a graphics program to make you vertical bar! :)

User 368945 Photo

23 posts

Try this......select the text tool, click on the page to create a red text box, choose the colour you want from the properties box, then drag the box out to the length you want your line to be. With the cursor blinking at the beginning of the box, hold down the shift key and then hold down the hyphon key to create a solid line to the length required....click once outside the text box to leave edit mode...the box should be a blue colour now (object selected).....in the Object Properties box click on the advanced text option. Now if you hold your pointer over the end of the selected text box, you will see the pointer change to a rotation tool....click one of the corners and drag the line around to a vertical positon and then and drag it to where you need it on the page. If you want more lines, just select the single line and copy and paste it as many times as you need it.
Hope that helps.
R
"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning"
Bill Gates
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi Richard,
I had this same problem a while back and got this response from CC support
you can do it if you create an horizontal line, give it the proper length, and then rotate the line 90 degrees (put a 90 in the third field of the Object Properties window)

both ways are great! thanks :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.