xara vs coffee cup - Post ID 168927

User 2292696 Photo

2 posts

Hi! I've read up on coffee cup, and it tops the ratings. However, it might not be the best choice for me - please let me know what you think.
I already have the programs xara photo & graphic designer 6, and photoshop CS3. (windows xp)
I would like to set up a web site/blog for my photography.
I am a complete newbie to web design. However, I did have a photo blog on word press for awhile.
I need something simple to use. (after age 60 it takes me forever to figure things out - and only if the step by step printed instructions are in front of my nose...LOL)
I have some of my photos for sale on Getty, so a web site would be cool to add to that.
It's cheeky of me to ask on this forum, I know, but do you think it would make more sense (given my limited "capacities") for me to purchase xara web designer version 6 ...since I already have the graphic designer...... or should I purchase the coffee cup web design, and use it in conjunction with my other programs?
(it seems coffee cup is more highly rated, but xara has more bells and whistles, albeit a few glitches too)
alex
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,456 posts

Hard to say anything about Xara, but maybe you can download a trial version of it to test how comfortable you are with it. If you go for CoffeeCup, and if you prefer a visual approach, download a trial version of Visual Site Designer (VSD in short) and then compare.

Not knowing anything about the Xara user forum either (if they have one), but this forum is awsome! We'll help you through the nifties of VSD if you need it. :)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2292696 Photo

2 posts

Thanks! I think I am leaning this way. It looks like a good forum.
I'll download VSD and try it out. Is that the best choice for me out of all the coffee cup products?
alex
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,456 posts

If you are able to code in html and css, the CC HTML Editor would actually be better, but I got the impression that you were interested in something that doesn't imply coding, and in that case VSD is the best tool for you.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

There are 2 photography websites in my signature, both written by me with VSD, and other CC programs

4 years ago at 51 , I had no experience with web design a year later i produced sarahphotographer.co.uk

And the forum here is how i learnt lots, and now i like many others are here to help you on your way
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

User 126492 Photo

Ambassador
1,524 posts

I have Xara Designer Pro 6, which includes their web designer, but I have never even tried to build a website with it. Xara web designer is simular to VSD and while VSD may not have as many bells and whistles as you call them, but more tools are being added to it. VSD now has S-Drive which far outways what Xara offers and this keeps adding different tools as it is developed, you can even host a shopping cart on, and yeah, Coffeecup now do shopping cart software. Checkout the Stream option in S-Drive.

I won't be upgrading my Xara anymore as they are getting rediculous with their prices since they sold the company, Coffeecup software gives me free lifetime upgrades.
Jim
---------------------------

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.