Using the Library function - Post ID...

User 2894458 Photo

17 posts

Hi all, currently I've been using DWCS3 to make our website updates for the last number of years. We have multiple pages so the Dreamweaver template is what we use for global changes. I'm in the process of switching to coffee cup editor and download the free version.

I have a couple of questions I was wondering if anyone could help with.

I Know there are link instructions on using the Library function but are there any videos?

I'm going to try out coffee cup on a different machine and am going to just copy my website first and try out Coffee cup to see if I can get used to using it and to figure out the library. Dreameaver has a .DWT file for the global changes. Will I still use that file with Coffeecup? Or will that file still work? And if not what file would I use when testing out the library function?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Hi,
Just be aware that there are differences between the 'free' version and a 'trial' version. A trial version has all the bells and whistles of the paid version, the limitation is that it only works for a limited time. The free version is so-called 'cripple ware', meaning that it doesn't have all the features. I have been using the paid version for 13 years, so I really don't remember what is lacking in the free version.

I don't think there are videos showing how to create library items. I don't think you will be able to use .dwt files as they are just for DW.

For testing you may use a file in your project, or just make up a file with some text and an image or something. Convert it to a library item, and then save with a name. Then edit the library item, change something in the actual library file, and click on update current page.
You said somewhere that you have php pages. Do you mean actual html pages saved with the .php extension? If so, I bet you have any amount of php include files. You don't have to turn those into lib.items, php includes are good as they are, quicker to update too. And I'd say keep elements like header, footer and navigation as php includes. But you can use lib.items for other bits.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2894458 Photo

17 posts

Hi, I downloaded the free version. I'm good with paying for the paid, but a couple of folks here said try the free version first as it should fo just fine.

My web pages are .php.

As far as the DWT file, it's the page that has the menu bar on our site that we make global changes with.

What I don't understand is what will happen to that page with Coffeecup? Will it not even be able to be opened?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Since I'm not a DW user, I don't quite understand when you are talking of 'page' here. Is the DWT file a 'page'. I guess that the menu is also a part of the web page (html or php), and it can be made into a library item.
When Wayan wakes up over there in Bali, he may know better than me.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

PS.: Could you post a link to the website, then it may be easier to understand.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2894458 Photo

17 posts

yes, its not complete yet so bare with me as we are going through a design change. But the address is wWsdOTsaFEtypROshOp.Com

Regards,
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

Neptune1 wrote:
Dreameaver has a .DWT file for the global changes. Will I still use that file with Coffeecup?

Dreamweaver templates and the HTML Editor library work differently. As you know, DW templates are applied to pages and then you can only edit the "editable regions" that are set up in the template.

In HTML Editor, on the other hand, all of every page is editable. You insert library items where you want them to appear.

If your goal, however, is to update your site to be responsive, with both DW and CC HTML Editor, you're going to have to code it all. That's where Site Designer is so nice.

Site Designer has global items as well called Symbols. It's essentially the same thing as the HTML Editor library items. Site Designer exports the site as .html, but there is a very easy way to make it work with php without having to change any server settings.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including training for Site Designer and Web Form Builder via Zoom.
Email me at support@usconsumernet.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 2894458 Photo

17 posts

hi, so my site is already a responsive site. The only need I have will be to update some text content and maybe change up some images and then perhaps update the menu.

I already tried doing some editing of the site using the free version of the html editor and it worked fine.

I'm sure there are quite a few web developers here but I'm just a website owner just needing to do some light maintenance on our site. The rest of the time is spent marketing and making $$ :).

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.