Trial use not going well - Post ID...

User 2929503 Photo

3 posts

I am using the trial version and was hoping this software would work out since the price for the paid version is not much. But, honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would use this tool. It is extremely slow and pops up error dialogs while I'm typing. My main reason for using it was for the live preview but it can't seem to handle that. My site is average to smaller than average in size and complexity. I was hoping I could highlight multiple lines and hit a button that would comment them out for me but that doesn't seem to exist. Every keystroke is very slow.

To make matters worse, I went to the website for support and had to create an online account. Once I did, I couldn't find a way to contact support. Before I created an account, the Get Support page (where the app directs to) said if you are still using the trial version, email us here. But after I created the account, that content no longer displayed. Anything I tried for contact went to the Contact page but nothing displays, just "Contact" and the footer. I'm using the latest version of Chrome so it should work.

I'm hoping someone can tell me that I'm missing something important and that this tool is actually a great editor and snappy. I don't want to go back to Notepad++ but that was a lot faster, including have to reload the pages in the browser after every edit.
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,188 posts
Online Now

Hi Suzanne,
Can you tell us which app your trialing?
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 2929503 Photo

3 posts

Sorry, I didn't realize there were multiple apps. I'm using the HTML Editor and have the live preview turned on. I think the preview is the main culprit for the performance problems but that is also the main reason I wanted to use it.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

There are two kinds of 'live preview', I don't know which one you are using. One is called 'split screen', the other one 'external preview', although you are viewing it in the same app. 'Live' here means that it gets updated by itself as you type, unlike a browser preview where you have to either reload the browser window, or refresh it.

There are a couple of things that might slow down the update process:
It depends on where your files are. It typically takes longer if your source files are sitting on an external drive, or in a dropbox or some other cloud. the best thing is to collect your source files, like e.g. on your desktop an image folder, a css and a js folder, or use the project option built into the programme. Also, the project files should be sitting somewhere close, not on anything external.
It also goes faster if you save your files in between. If you are editing a css or a js file, you have to save them and then refresh the html file(s) to be able to see the changes.
Media files should be sized to fit. Since you probably are making your site responsive, you'll of course have to leave a bit of slack for large screens, but it only brings you problems if you use a picture directly from a modern camera that can take pictures of over 5000px wide.
You mentioned commenting out a chunk of lines. You can do that. Highlight those lines, look in the Insert tab - Comment. You will have to choose between html or php/css comment. (Mind you, I THINK it originally was in the Insert tab, I have long ago made a button of it, so that it is now directly in the tool bar.)
I have been using the HTML Editor since the end of 2004 and have always been pleased with it.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2929503 Photo

3 posts

Thanks Inger. I was using the split screen which was extremely slow. I switched to external preview and at first, the performance was better. But then I tried to Insert a comment and then undo - the undo brought up the error dialog (twice, it always brings it up 2 times - "Unable to Create Temp File") and it was back to a crawl.

All of my files are local and I'm using the project option. I also save the files often but that was mainly because the performance was so slow on the keystrokes I was afraid of losing anything I typed.

The Insert comment always brings up a dialog to select HTML or PHP, is there any way to default that? I want to type, not answer questions. Is there a way to remove the comments?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

If you are working on a html file, the default comment will be the html comment, and if you are on a css file, the default will be css comment. The only times you need to select is, if you are editing css or php inside a html document, or possibly html inside a php file, I don't remember that exactly. And comments have to be removed manually
The error message you mention could be if you are leaving the external preview open all the time. I usually toggle it on when needed, and then toggle it off again.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.