SSH key authentication - Post ID 212675

User 2544928 Photo

4 posts

Could you please help how to set up SSH key authentication for sFTP with your CoffeCup free FTP client?
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Hiya,

Open the FreeFTP and click on the 'Servers' button in the top left corner. When the popup opens showing your servers, pick the one you want, or enter the credentials for a new server. Then look at the botton right of the pop-up just above the 'Cancel' button. You should see a gray colored text 'more options'. Click this and you'll see where you can choose your FTP protocol. Change this to SFTP over SSH. Hopes this helps.. :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 2544928 Photo

4 posts

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. If followed your instructions but it seems to me that it is for ssh with password authentication as it even doesn't ask for my ssh key. And the server (as password authentication is not allowed on server side) refuses the connection. Where can I set the location of my ssh key and it's password for SSH authentication?
User 2574626 Photo

2 posts

I've been looking at how to add this also....
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

All you need do is select sFTP over SSH as the protocol, enter any other info if any (I don't use SSH) and then login to your server.

When you attempt to login on your server it will handle and prompt you for everything. Direct FTP (free or paid) will then store your key. You will not have to enter it manually into the program.
User 2544928 Photo

4 posts

Thank you Gunsmoke. The server won't handle it as FreeFTP tries to authenticate itself by password authentication therefore the server immediatelly denies the connecton as it is set up for SSH key authentication only: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/530

For SSH key authentication to happen the client have to have the ssh key with what it can authenticate itself. In other FTP programs (e.g.: FileZilla, CoreFTP, etc) what are capable of SSH key authentication you have to give the location of your key file and your password for the key. So my suspicion is that FreeFTP is not able to handle SHH key authentication. It can handle sFTP with password authentication but can't with key authentication. Am I correct?
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Well, I guess I really don't know for sure since I don't use SSH. The option is there in the program. Don't you have a username/password from your server? It may be that once set up it will work without it. My understanding was that when you login the first time the program will 'store' your key for future use. That's about all I know about it. You might try it, or check with your hosting company and see what they say.
User 2544928 Photo

4 posts

Yes Gunsmoke, in case of Password Authentiction the situatin is what you described. The server asks for your password then sends it's host key to you, your client stores it and from then on, you are authenticated. The disadvantage of this methode is that it is far not as secure as the key authentication because your password can be found out by any robot on try and err basis. Of course it takes time for it but can be found out.

In case of SSH key authentication you also have to have your own SSH key stored. If you want that SHH key also can have a password for increased security. During the authentication process this key is used instead of the plain password. It is almost unbreakable as finding out the key with try and err methode is impossible.

Many of the widely used sFTP clients know this authentication method and has the settings for that. FreeFTP has a lots of useful features and because of that it would be suitable for me to use for my FTP needs. But as it can't handle ssh Key authentication, I can't use it. It won't be a wise policy on my side to loosen my servers security to be able to use FreeFTP.
User 2574626 Photo

2 posts

Is the official response on this that Coffee doesn't suport SHH keys?

I would like to know for sure....
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

That is correct. We do not have support for SSH keys at this time. Possibly someday. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.