Problem with first upload to FTP site...

User 2837108 Photo

3 posts

I successfully edited an existing web page using free html editor. I configured the editor to access my ftp site. With the edited file active and visible in the editor I went to File > Upload File to Server and it connected and confirmed the upload of that file. Then the tutorial says

"This window closes automatically once the upload is complete. Now you can switch over to the Server tab and check out your files on your server! You’ll notice that your file structure is perfectly preserved, which means all your links and images will be referenced correctly."
2 problems.
#1 when I directly view the web sited files using my old editor Expressions 4 I can see that the edited file was never uploaded or was uploaded to the wrong place on the server.
#2 I cannot find the "server tab" referenced in the quote above so I cannot see the FTP site from the HTML editor.

I tried the Online Help but couldn't find any relevant reference to either of the two problems above.
User 2853760 Photo

1 post

Click the "File" menu followed by the "Site Manager" item on that menu. A dialog box will appear.

Click the "New Site" button on that dialog box. This creates a new item under "My FTP Sites" called "New FTP site". Rename "New FTP site" to the name of your site if you wish. By default, the keyboard cursor would have been placed in the name portion of "New FTP site" allowing you to change the name immediately. If you have lost the cursor because you accidentally clicked somewhere else in the dialog box, you can get it back by simply clicking once on the name. Note that this name can be anything you wish - it is not required for accessing your site. However, you will probably make your life easier if you change the name to that of your site rather than the cryptic "New FTP site".

Under the tab "General", enter the name of your FTP server in the "Host" input box. For example, if your web host told you that your FTP hostname is "ftp.example.com", enter "ftp.example.com" into the space provided.

Leave the "Port" and the "Servertype" entry boxes alone. Use your mouse and select "Normal" from the drop down list box for "Logontype". This will enable the "User" and "Password" boxes for the next step.

Enter your user id or your login name (or whatever your web host calls it) into the "User" input box. Likewise, enter your password into the "Password" input box. Note that this information is automatically saved onto your computer and will be re-used the next time you run FileZilla, so you do not have to re-enter them again. (It also means that you should not use FileZilla in this way on computers that others may have access to, such as those found in an Internet cafe or a public library.)

Click the "Connect" button. FileZilla will proceed to log you into your server. If it is successful, you will see a directory listing of your website's account in the right hand side of the FileZilla window. The left hand side of the FileZilla window shows the directories and files on your own computer.

If your web host told you to only upload in a specific subdirectory on the web server, such as in the "www" or "public_html" directory, change to that directory by doubleclicking its name in the folder portion of the right window pane (the "Remote Site" window pane). FileZilla will open that folder and show you its contents in the files portion of the Remote Site window pane.

Next, locate the file that you wish to upload in the left window pane (the "Local Site" pane). Both window panes behave mostly like a Windows Explorer windows, so navigating them should not be unduly hard. Once you have located the file you wish to upload, say "feedback.php", doubleclick it to upload it to your website. Alternatively, you can drag that file from the left window pane to the right window pane. The file will be uploaded to the folder that is currently open on the right window pane, so make sure you have changed to the directory you want before dragging the file there.

As FileZilla proceeds to upload your file to your site, you should be able to see the upload progress in the bottommost window pane in FileZilla. When the upload has completed, you can disconnect from your website. Do this by clicking the "Server" menu followed by the "Disconnect" item.
    Feel free to surf Best essay writing service

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.